Activity Report for the Period 8/29/2016 – 9/9/2016

East Multnomah Soil and Water Conservation District
Jay Udelhoven
  • Boards/Committees: Prepped for and hosted personnel committee meeting; prepped for board meeting.
  • External Engagement: Prepped for and attended Oregon Agricultural Heritage Program (OAHP) retreat and meeting.
  • Policies/Planning/Budgeting: No progress.
  • Program Implementation: Met with Portland Parks & Recreation Manager (James Allison) to discuss Columbia Slough parcel and interests in assisting home owner associations.
  • Supervision/Leadership: Continued to address personnel issue.
  • Boards/Committees: Host board meeting.
  • External Engagement: Meet with Jim Desmond, Executive Director of The Nature Conservancy's Oregon Chapter.
  • Policies/Planning/Budgeting: Continue revision of personnel policies.
  • Program Implementation: Explore with staff possible long-term relationship with local Granges.
  • Supervision/Leadership: Continue to address personnel issue.
Program Supervision / Finance & Budget Lissa Adams
  • Met with Equity team and representatives from Metro and WMSWCD to discuss their process and progress to date and glean possible wisdom in moving forward with our own process around diversity, equity and inclusion.
  • Assisted with preparing materials for and attended Personnel Committee meeting; prepared July financial reports for upcoming September board meeting; populated FY 15-16 annual report with Finance and Operations data for the year.
  • Continuing to address FY15-16 audit follow up issues as they arise; input and tracked first contribution to new retirement system to make sure deposits were timely and correct.
  • Follow up with VALIC to ensure proper transfer of funds to new retirement plan.
  • Work with yard signage vendor to replace failing signage on Williams Ave grounds.
  • Out of the office most of next week and part of the following week on family business and vacation.
Office Management Jed Arnold
  • Received a very promising set of samples for replacement for the promotional t-shirts. The new materials are assembled from organic cotton grown, spun and woven completely in the USA.
  • Completed a fairly extensive insurance risk assessment survey of district property required by DAS and ODA.
  • Handled paperwork and follow-up on a Workers Compensation claim.
  • Install new wireless video projector in the conference room.
  • Contact SDAO about on-site ergonomics training for staff.
  • Create reservation calendars and usage rules for our "new" dividable meeting rooms.
Facilities Management Scot Wood
  • The new "closets" for storing the soft walls when not in use have been installed and put into use.
  • I have started getting quotes from fire sprinkler companies for a whole building system.
  • I am getting a quote for repairs from the company that put in the pervious pavement. We have a couple of spots that are beginning to deteriorate and are in need or repair.
  • Installation of the new prop house at Headwaters Farm has begun.
  • The new exterior board room door will be installed the first week of October.
  • We will be having some landscape work done to the office grounds to define some pathways and discourage passing through other areas.
  • We will be having a paver "floor" put in the bike shelter for a much cleaner and safer environment.
  • I will be assisting Rowan and Stuart in in the completion of the new prop house.
Marketing & Media Alex Woolery
  • Workshops and events: continued promoting Fall workshops, began drafting a general version of the new workshop flier without event dates.
  • Final graphics, text changes and formatting for the Urban Lands plant list brochures.
  • Drafted a press release for Headwaters Farm and the upcoming farmer recruitment; worked with Rowan to revise it. Planning and preparations for Headwaters campaign.
  • Created a matrix of EMSWCD program messages, including work descriptions, "elevator messages" staff can adapt to quickly describe program work, taglines and program messaging.
  • Work with supervisors on revising the program sections of the Marketing Plan.
  • Continue research on plant sale plugins.
  • Distribute Headwaters press release and conduct press outreach; create new fliers for farmer recruitment.
Information Technology Lissa Adams,
Jed Arnold,
Alex Woolery
  • Lissa troubleshot and resolved various minor connectivity and network issues.
  • Alex tested spam filtering and related EMSWCD webserver settings; the latest changes seem to have worked and website-generated emails sent to staff are getting through.
  • Jed worked on account settings and software licensing issues on a Rural Lands Surface Tablet, and responded to other tablet-related questions.
  • Jed and Alex will respond to staff IT issues and questions as needed.
Program Management Julie DiLeone
  • The bridge at the west crossing at Headwaters is done and looks great. The culvert installation at the east crossing should be done early the week of September 12th. We got an extension of the in-water work period until the 16th.
  • Testing turbidity twice daily above and below the construction area per DEQ permit requirements.
  • Drafting the Rural Lands section of the annual report.
  • Wrapping up construction oversight including required reporting to permitting agencies.
  • Getting back to working on Rural Lands planning.
  • Jeremy Baker's 6-month review.
Rural Water Quality Aaron Guffey
  • Aaron is currently on parental leave until Mid-September.
StreamCare Lucas Nipp
  • I have been managing maintenance spraying on StreamCare sites. 66 acres.
  • I helped out with the culvert work in the Dianna Pope Natural Area a little while Julie was on vacation.
  • I continued work on the Dianna Pope Natural Area Site Conservation Plan.
  • I will continue managing maintenance sprays on all StreamCare sites. The goal is to visit all enrolled sites by early October.
  • I will contine work on the Dianna Pope Natural Area Site Conservation Plan.
Technical Assistance Jeremy Baker
  • Site visits to two new nursery owners to discuss technical assistance and possible CLIP application to assist with conversion from overhead to drip.
  • Drafted site and soils maps for new landowners.
  • As a mentor in the NRCS Conservation Planning Course I provided some planning assistance/guidance to a beginning NRCS planner for cropping systems and grazing.
  • Attended InFARMation event. The topic was "environmentally responsible agricultural practices employed by Oregon farmers."
  • Attending Farwest show to staff booth and attend technical service talks.
  • Working on a conservation plan for both nursery locations that will be used to apply for CLIP funding.
Weed Management Chris Aldassy
  • I had a crew out doing the initial contol work for ivy and clematis in the Sandy watershed. 12 acres gross / 4 acres net coverage. Also along Latourell creek we cleared 60 trees of old growth ivy.
  • Surveyed ~1/2 mile of Beaver creek for knotweed during last weeks rainy spell, as well as ivy monitoring at several project locations before bringing contractors to perform a second round of control.
  • Toured 4 sites with contractors along the Columbia and several of its smaller drainages to discuss projects and setup timelines for control work.
  • Controlled Gorge Clematis (20 m² net, 80 m² gross) and knotweed 2m² net/10m² gross.
  • Crews will be working on Ivy.
  • Jon and I will be working on Knotweed.
  • Project outreach will be expanding.
Weed Management Jon Wagner
  • I outreached new and old landowners for weed surveys and control, entered water quality and knotweed data, and met with Alex about comics and illustrations.
  • Ellen and I surveyed and controlled 132 square meters of knotweed, 15 square meters of ivy and 4 square meters of spurge laurel at 25 sites and 2 river miles.
  • Chris and I prepped for next season's false brome control by setting permanent access equipment at steep control site.
  • I will conduct the monthly water quality sampling.
  • I plan to outreach landowners for ivy, clematis and knotweed control.
  • I will continue annual knotweed surveys and control.
Outreach & Education Chelsea White-Brainard
  • Staffed booth at Far West Show, where I and others talked to 265 attendees over 3 days. The theme of the booth was the use of beetle banks on farms as an integrated pest management tool. It featured a life-size model of a beetle bank and instructional literature.
  • Attended Equity Team meeting with partners from Metro and West Multnomah Soil and Water Conservation District to discuss training options for staff and next steps.
  • Began developing CLIP yard signs.
  • Worked on developing an annual work plan for the 4-County CWMA (Cooperative Weed Management Area) Education and Outreach Committee.
  • Attend "Protecting Oregon from Invasive Species - Oregon Invasive Species Council Summit." They will unveil the 10-year statewide invasives strategic plan.
  • Present Equity Team Self-Assessment results at the September 12th board meeting.
  • Prepare for and facilitate 4-County CWMA (Cooperative Weed Management Area) Ed and Outreach meeting. Develop committee annual work plan. Attend Steering Committee meeting.
  • Table at Small Farm School on September 15th.
Program Management Kathy Shearin
  • Did walk-around with Scot and Jed to discuss risk management issues in regards to the landscape.
  • Preparation for presenation to the board.
  • Working on Annual report.
  • Board Meeting.
Technical Assistance Erik Carr
  • Erik is currently on vacation and unable to submit a report.
Outreach & Education Angela Previdelli
  • On vacation until August 29th.
  • Lead equity meeting with representatives from Metro and West Multnomah SWCD.
  • Attended East Portland Neighborhood Summer Social to support our grantee and promote Urban Lands services.
  • Will present with Chelsea at September board meeting to update on Equity Assessment results.
  • Attending first of four training classes on plant identification held by Portland Underground Graduate School.
  • Greening Rockwood Meeting with representatives from County and City to discuss potential projects in East Portland and Gresham.
Outreach & Education Katie Meckes
  • Ran Hood to Coast as a proud member of the Snail Blazers team.
  • Submitted October workshop event details to community and neighborhood newspapers, neighborhood newsletters and neighborhood associations.
  • Submitted our Native Plants, Pollinator & Beneficial Insects workshops for Continuing Education Hours (CEH) course approval to the Oregon Landscape Contractors Board.
  • Finished workshop supply preparation and back stock organization. Finalized Pollinator and Beneficial Insect agendas, handouts, presentations and assembly of workshop bins. Have been managing workshop participant inquiries, registrations, cancellations, wait lists.
  • Worked on professional development and training plan. Assisted with Annual Report by providing FY15-16 attendance figures and narrative.
Program Management Andrew Brown
  • Worked on District Annual Report for FY15-16.
  • Researched grant management software options.
  • Completed quarterly GIS update and built tool to automate update process.
  • Prepared for and attended Personnel Committee meeting.
  • Produce draft District Annual Report for FY15-16.
  • Finalize grant management software, and begin preparing for implementation of the chosen solution.
  • Work in staff recruitment.
  • Follow up on active Land Legacy Program land projects.
Land Legacy Rick McMonagle
  • Rick is currently on administrative leave.
Grants Suzanne Easton
  • Andrew and I participated in several interactive demos of on-line application/grant management systems. We hope to make a final recommendation to Jay in next few days for fall adoption.
  • Preparation for Sept. 20 Grants Committee meeting, finalizing agenda, preparing supporting documents.
  • Attended Friends of Family Farmers, Climate Friendly Farming Forum -for PIC/SPACE outreach Equity Team met with Metro and WMSCD - planning for next steps and board presentation.
  • Site visit to Sacramento Elementary (Parkrose School District), PIC 2016 grantee, with Erik Carr. Consulted on design and location of outdoor classroom.
  • Grants Committee meeting on Sept. 20. Agenda includes grant programs FY15/16 reporting, PIC/SPACE 16/17 progress, possible new grant policies and general updates on program.
  • Begin implementation of new on-line grant management system.
  • Attend grantee events: Soul River Wild Salmon celebration, Maldon Orchard Grand Opening, Grotto planting day, Sandy River Delta celebration.
  • Conduct PIC site visit - Pleasant Valley School.
  • Attend Grantmakers Equity group meeting.
  • Attend Interwine's Greening Schoolyards meeting.
Headwaters Farm Rowan Steele
  • Worked with Alex on outreach plan for upcoming Headwaters Incubator Program application process (opening October 1st) including a draft press release.
  • Farm Projects: Set up a municipal water bypass to get water to the Caretaker Cottage, barn, and propagation house while the culvert replacement occurs. Began construction on the new propagation house. Coordinated below ground work around curing shed/hardening off area that included water lines, conduit for electrical, and stormwater. Initial discing to prep for cover crops.
  • Concluded the 2nd Annual HIP Farmer Invasive Weed Challenge with winners in the categories of: Most nutsedge removed. Most thistle removed. Largest thistle killed.
  • Updated Equity Report for Board Meeting.
  • Presenting Nutrient Management for Diversified Vegetable Growers at Small Farms School.
  • Coordinating the construction of the new prophouse.
  • Sowing early fall covers.
Headwaters Farm Stuart Moeller
  • Dug holes and set posts for the prophouse corners.
  • Laid water, electrical, and stormwater pipes; extended culvert; worked on runoff management projects.
  • Weed management around roadways, neighbor's property, porta potty, and other areas.
  • Covered old pollinator with cardboard to begin resetting process.
  • Subsoiling several fields for improved drainage.
  • Constructing new prophouse.
  • Setting up new hardening off area (replacing fabric, coordinating pea gravel deliveries, moving tables).