Activity Report for the Period 9/17/2018 – 9/28/2018

East Multnomah Soil and Water Conservation District
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
ACTIVITIES
Jay Udelhoven
Completed:
  • Jay was out of office during this work period.
FINANCE & OPERATIONS
ACTIVITIES
Program Supervision / Finance & Budget Dan Mitten
Completed:
  • Worked with bookkeeper on: reporting tools, fixed asset and capitalization report; payroll processing.
  • Compiling basic information and documentation for upcoming audit.
  • Attended Land Legacy Committee Meeting.
Planned:
  • Prepare and review financial reports for month of August and cumulative FY to-date for upcoming Board meeting.
  • Compiling basic information and documentation for upcoming audit.
  • Reviewing HIP Farmers invoices, payment histories, and accounts receivables. Researching status of ODA payment traditionally received in September.
  • Reviewing HB2005 Oregon's Pay Equity Law and upcoming 2019 compliance requirements. Reading through the OCEAN Employee Handbook that Jeremy emailed me.
Office Management Lindsay Nelson
Completed:
  • Set up, record, and take minutes for Board and LLC meeting.
  • Completed Board of Directors and Grants Committee meeting minutes from September, 2018.
  • Met with Jaime from SDAO to discuss Best Practices Program.
  • Got new intern up and running with mailbox, emails and groups, and paperwork.
  • Ordered supplies for the office.
  • Updated monthly witholding form for benefits.
Planned:
  • Finish LLC meeting minutes.
  • Put away branded gear.
  • Create personnel files for Dan and Brandi.
  • Reorganize personnel files.
Facilities Management Scot Wood
Completed:
  • I pressure washed the front and back porches as well as the ADA ramp. I also sanded and re-stained the front porch.
  • I have been assisting Stuart and Rowan with the new waterlines that are being installed for the new composting facility at Headwaters.
  • I helped out with pulling new poly on the Mainstem prop house.
Planned:
  • I'll be doing a bit of fall clean-up.
  • Rowan and I will hopefully get to finish installing the forced air system at the new composting facility.
  • I will be going out and taking care of some post-closing repair items that we agreed to do at the new property.
Marketing & Media Alex Woolery
Completed:
  • Took three days of "staycation" in exciting Portland, Oregon.
  • Worked with Lindsay, Dan and contractors to advance phone system preparations: created phone tree, worked with various techs onsite, met with staff and contractors.
  • IT: helped several staff with issues including VPN, user account issues, email and calendar, mobile device setup, etc. Helped setup Brandi's user account and station.
  • Worked with staff to move plotter printer, cleaned up my office and reorganized the space it took up.
  • Website: plant sale preparations, worked with Jay and Dan to update Policy page files and layout.
  • Outreach: helped promote workshops, set up Brandi with social media access and training document. Continued Headwaters outreach including ads, website updates, postcards, etc.
Planned:
  • Work with Rowan to continue promoting Headwaters recruitment for the 2019 growing season. Continue promoting workshops and other staff-requested events.
  • Continue plant sale planning and preparations, meet with Dan and with Plant Sale team next week.
  • Assist with IT issues and requests, and with phone system transition as necessary.
RURAL LANDS
ACTIVITIES
Program Management Julie DiLeone
Completed:
  • Attended our final meeting with CEI.
  • Completed the required consultation with OWEB staff in preparation to apply for a Focused Investment Development grant for the Sandy River Basin Partners.
  • Pulled together a report on our work over the past two years in the Lower Willamette Ag Water Quality Management Area for ODA in preparation for the biennial review in November.
Planned:
  • Working with the Sandy River Basin Partners to draft the Focused Investment Development grant application that is due October 22nd.
  • Budget resolution and contract amendment for signature at October Board meeting.
Rural Water Quality Aaron Guffey
Completed:
  • Aaron was working only part time and offsite, and was unable to submit a report for this work period.
StreamCare Lucas Nipp
Completed:
  • I attended the first of two riparian restoration tours for regional managers to discuss lessons learned, and to start thinking about mid-term management needs on maturing restoration sites. Great discussion and insight.
  • I had two contract crews out conducting maintenance on StreamCare sites. About sixty acres treated.
  • I marked out the StreamCare area on Mainstem Farms.
Planned:
  • I will attend the second of the two riparian restoration tours. This one will be on Fanno Creek.
  • I will continue maintenance spraying on StreamCare sites as weather allows and possibly conduct first treatments on new sites added this year and cut in August.
  • I plan to attend the 4-County CWMA meeting that will be held here at the office.
Technical Assistance Jeremy Baker
Completed:
  • Attended NRCS Soil Health Webinar (mandatory for certficied conservation planners) 3 days last week.
  • Completed initial site visit to a new landowner looking to treat blackberry issues on 10 acres.
  • Completed initial site visit to new landowner farming 30 acres. This farm will be growing a diversity of crops while working with a diversity of partners for plots on the farm.
Planned:
  • I have been working with NRCS to get some assistance with soil texturing and analysis at Headwaters and Mainstem farms. We finalized the detail and scope of these surveys this past week. We will be further assisting NRCS Soil Survey by providing access to a soils pit to inform and update the Soil Survey of Multnomah County.
  • I attended several meetings in representation of OCEAN over the past couple of weeks. Specifically, I met with the Oregon Conservation Partnership, and attended the Oregon Association of Conservation Distircts monthly board meeting.
  • Attended the Land Legacy Committee meeting to review and comment on the draft Ag Managements Plans for newly aquired easment lands.
Weed Management Chris Aldassy
Completed:
  • Chris was unable to submit a report for this period.
Weed Management Jon Wagner
Completed:
  • Chelsea, Chris and I controlled about 200 square meters of knotweed on 30 properties and along 6 river miles.
  • Chris and I conducted a weed survey along 3 miles of Road 777 in the burn zone near Tanner Creek.
  • I finished a biocontrol comic for outreach material for ODA. I entered data. I contacted landowners with knotweed and outreached new land owners for weed control.
Planned:
  • I will conduct monthly water quality sampling and wildlife surveys.
  • I will finish annual knotweed control and continue surveys and control of weeds within the burn zone.
  • I will enter water quality and knotweed data. I will plan the fall survey and control season with Chris and Chelsea. I will continue to work with Alex and Chelsea on outreach illustration materials.
Outreach & Education Chelsea White-Brainard
Completed:
  • Katie and I hosted the Lower Willamette Valley SWCD Conservation Education Program Meeting at the EMSWCD office. It was an opportunity to share ideas, strategies and materials with other SWCDs, and look for opportunities for collaboration.
  • Helped Jon with knotweed control along the Sandy River and on private properties throughout the district.
  • Attended final equity planning session with CEI (Center for Equity and Inclusion).
Planned:
  • Coordinate the Multnomah County CWMA (Cooperative Weed Management Area) meeting, which will highlight the work that Chris and Jon have been doing in the Rock Creek fire burn area. Continue planning the Pull Together.
  • Begin designing informational kiosk for the Multnomah Grange.
  • Adapt interpretive sign into poster describing the benefits of streamside forests.
URBAN LANDS
ACTIVITIES
Program Management Kathy Shearin
Completed:
  • Kathy was unable to submit a report for this work period.
Technical Assistance Whitney Bailey
Completed:
  • Attended: IJC meeting, Willamette Mercury TMDL Advisory Team meeting.
  • Oversaw EMSWCD tree of heaven treatment.
  • Met with one private landowner, two HOA representatives, and the Multnomah County Department of Transportation Bridges Department to discuss and share resources regarding riparian restoration, blackberry removal, retaining wall settling, and pollinator habitat in downtown east Portland, respectively.
Planned:
  • Meeting with Wood Village Public Works Director.
  • Helping lead PCC Environmental Science Class Tour.
  • CLIP team meeting next week. CWMA General meeting.
Outreach & Education Angela Previdelli
Completed:
  • Angela was unable to submit a report for this work period.
Outreach & Education Katie Meckes
Completed:
  • Began training and orientation for our new Education & Outreach Intern, Brandi Boersma!
  • Contributed to Annual Report.
  • General beginning of season communications to presenters. Built out new presenter orientation binders for two new workshop presenters.
  • Scheduled five urban lands presentations for Fix it Fairs, Portland Nursery and Villa Garden Club.
Planned:
  • Leading a tour of Conservation Corner for PCC Environmental Studies class on October 4th.
  • Plant Sale Planning.
Outreach & Education Brandi Boersma
Completed:
  • Training and orientation.
  • Began outreach for upcoming fall workshops via listservs, event calendars, and emailing BYH, PCC, NA's.
Planned:
  • Planning on attending several fall workshops. Excited for some of the ideas Katie has that I will get to partake in once my feet are under me.
CONSERVATION LEGACY
ACTIVITIES
Program Management Andrew Brown
Completed:
  • Assisted with various Land Legacy matters, including the Gordon Creek Road farm closing, reviewing the ag lease template, and the Land Legacy Committee meeting.
  • Worked on finalizing the FY18-19 EMSWCD annual plan.
  • Participated in the final CEI equity training and planning session.
Planned:
  • Assist with preparations for the October Board meeting and address other ongoing issues as acting ED in Jay's absence.
  • Advance the strategic plan and equity planning.
  • Assist Matt with formalizing the data management of baseline documentation photos and GIS other data for EMSWCD property interests.
Grants Suzanne Easton
Completed:
  • Prepared for and attended final CEI session.
  • Site visit to June Key Delta garden - possible future SPACE or PIC grant.
  • PIC/SPACE site visits: Janus Youth at Village gardens, Ethiopian Cultural Center, Friends of Trees.
Planned:
  • PIC Site visits: Zenger Farm, Outgrowing Hunger, Backyard Habitat (Audubon, CLT), Lynchwood Garden.
  • Start preparing for PIC 2019 grant cycle: update Guidelines, ZoomGrants, website information, etc.
  • Prepare for transition of SPACE program back to Grants Manager.
Land Legacy Matt Shipkey
Completed:
  • Closed on farm property on Gordon Creek Road.
  • Ag lease template provided to Counsel for review.
  • Organized and led LLC meeting.
  • Succession Planning materials advanced.
Planned:
  • Draft ag lease provided to Mainstem lessee.
  • Advance use planning for the new farm property.
  • Finalize decision for sale of District property.
  • Attend LTA Rally.
Headwaters Farm Rowan Steele
Completed:
  • Offered tour to prospective HIP farmers and fielded various other inquiries.
  • Met with Amy Garrett from OSU Extension service to discuss dry farming opportunities at Headwaters Farm.
  • Working with Scot to develop a proposal for an equipment shed and shop at Headwaters Farm.
  • Coordinating farm projects: aerated compost boxes, riser relocations, replacement of the Mainstem prophouse poly, and cover cropping.
Planned:
  • Rolling out the application period for the next round of HIP farmers.
  • Providing a tour and cover crop training to Clackamas Community College’s organic farming class.
  • Facilitating the final weed walk of the season.
Headwaters Farm Stuart Moeller
Completed:
  • Trenched around 850 feet and helped glue irrigation pipe for the riser relocation.
  • Getting areas prepped for, and sowing, cover crop.
  • Helped facilitate the installation of a new sheet of plastic over the prophouse at Mainstem Farm.
Planned:
  • Continuing to work on the cover cropping.
  • Putting the trenches away from the riser project.
  • Helping to tighten the poly on Hoophouse #4.