Activity Report for the Period 7/30/2018 – 8/10/2018

East Multnomah Soil and Water Conservation District
Jay Udelhoven
  • External Engagement: Met with ED of Multnomah County Drainage District to discuss issues relevant to both districts; met with DEI representatives of the Port of Portland to discuss the Port’s equity work; met with the Columbia Slough Watershed Council to discuss expectations around the Strategic Partnership Agreement.
  • Boards/Committees: Prepared for and hosted Board meeting; participated in Land Legacy Committee meeting.
  • Policies/Planning/Budgeting: Continued work on annual work plan.
  • Supervision/Leadership: Completed three staff performance reviews; participated in CFO interviews; met with staff 1x1, and management team.
  • Program Implementation: Discussed farm and conservation project permitting with Multnomah County.
  • External Engagement: Attend OAHP work group meeting to discuss progress and rule proposal of the OAHC; meet with NRCS and WMSWCD at Headwaters Farm for a tour and discussion about working lands conservation efforts.
  • Boards/Committees: Meet with prospective board director candidate.
  • Policies/Planning/Budgeting: Continue work on annual work plan and personnel policy updates; continue equity Planning with CEI.
  • Supervision/Leadership: On-board Dan Mitten, our new CFO; meet with staff 1x1, F&O team, and management team.
  • Program Implementation: Meet with landowners near Headwaters Farm for a check in; work with staff on farmland transactions.
Program Supervision / Finance & Budget Lissa Adams
  • Lissa did some preparation work and helped orient the incoming CFO.
  • Lissa worked part-time and focused on budgeting, accounting/billing, and wrapping up some items.
Office Management Lindsay Nelson
  • Removed Lissa from all current employee benefits and signed her up for COBRA coverage.
  • Set up, recorded, and took minutes for Board of Directors meeting. Set up Board room for an event rental.
  • Met with TeamLogic and InfoStructure to discuss next steps in telecommunication system, conference system, and projector. Worked with TeamLogic staff on various IT issues (calendars mostly).
  • Finish meeting minutes for Personnel Committee, Land Legacy Committee and Board of Directors meetings.
Facilities Management Scot Wood
  • Scot was out of office during this reporting period and unable to submit a report.
Marketing & Media Alex Woolery
  • Worked with Suzanne and Andrew to refine and revise questions for a PIC Grant survey, populated online survey and revised, distributed it to 2018 grant applicants.
  • Completed my self evaluation.
  • Participated in second round of CFO interviews and deliberations. Assisted in preliminary onboarding steps for new CFO including related IT and website updates.
  • Met with Urban Lands staff for Plant Sale kickoff meeting. Met with Lindsay, Andrew, TeamLogic and a potential phone system provider for a meeting about phone/conference systems and related IT/network questions.
  • Spent time on IT issues and needs, including setting up a new network switch, assisting staff with network, profile and mapping issues, conferencing troubleshooting and setup, security system investigation, and more.
  • Website: archived and updated posts, added new Conservation Directory and Manure Connection listings, fixed or updated several internal links, fixed typos and errors on various pages.
  • Finalize 2018-19 work plan, training plan, evaluation with Jay.
  • Work on Headwaters postcard, Land Legacy posters, Grants posters.
  • Help onboard new CFO.
  • Continue investigating teleconferencing system/interface and assist staff as needed. IT assistance as needed.
Information Technology Lindsay Nelson,
Alex Woolery
  • Lindsay and Alex responded to staff IT issues and questions as needed; see notes in their individual reports above.
  • Lindsay and Alex will respond to staff IT issues and questions as needed.
Program Management Julie DiLeone
  • Completed all but one of the reviews of Rural Lands staff.
  • Jay and I met with Multnomah County Land Use Planning and West Multnomah SWCD staff to discuss some proposed changes to their codes.
  • Reviewed content and provided input about the IPM/Pest Problems website.
  • East/West/NRCS monthly meeting at Headwaters.
  • Monthly meeting with Center for Equity and Inclusion.
  • CLIP team meeting.
Rural Water Quality Aaron Guffey
  • Oversaw construction for an Erosion Solutions project at a nursery.
  • Attended an International Erosion Control Association PNW Chapter workshop.
  • Attended the OAN 2018 Pitch and Putt social event.
  • Work with consultants, contractors, and Clackamas SWCD to complete an Erosion Solutions project at a nursery.
  • Engage in the diversity, equity, and inclusion process EMSWCD staff are participating in.
  • Attend all Oregon Association of Nurseries Mt. Hood Chapter meetings and events. Fulfill the responsibilities of treasurer on the Mt. Hood Chapter board.
  • Connect with partners to explore opportunities for developing better solutions regarding cover crop useage on nurseries.
StreamCare Lucas Nipp
  • I had two crews out doing initial site prep (clearing blackberry and tall grasses ) on newly enrolled StreamCare sites in Beaver, Johnson, and Big Creeks. Fourteen acres were cleared in total. One site in each watershed.
  • I had two crews out doing StreamCare maintenance on planted sites. Forty acres were maintained in Beaver and Big Creeks.
  • I met with a landowner and a fence installer to go over final plans for a livestock exclusion fence that will be considered as a CLIP project and go in on a property enrolled in StreamCare.
  • I have several site visits set up for landowners interested in stream restoration.
  • I will be continuing maintenance of StreamCare sites.
Technical Assistance Jeremy Baker
  • After returning from a 10 day break for my birthday I have completed updates to my 2018-2019 Annual Workplan and the 2018 Annual Review.
  • Finalized and funded a CLIP project focused on soil moisture monitoring for irrigation water management on about 2/5 acres of blueberries.
  • Chaired the July OCEAN Board meeting and met with Oregon Conservation Partnership (OrCP). Connect 2019 planning is already underway and we are in the process of finalizing the location and date. We will be heading to Central Oregon for next year's training conference.
  • Contacted the two landowners on my "wait list" to begin the planning process with them. One will be addressing mud issues and water quality on a horse operation. The second is looking to convert a former christmas tree operation into pasture for grazing animals.
  • Weather Station and Soil Moisture Monitoring: Met with HIP grower last week to investigation concens we're having over what soil moisture sensors are telling us (displaying). We used a soil probe to look at soils down to 12" so that we better understand what the data means when it comes to moisture at various depths.
  • I continue working with and learning the weather station website to understand its functionality to better prepare for display and use by the general public.
Weed Management Chris Aldassy
  • Knotweed control has begun along the Sandy River. Jon and I controlled Knotweed along about 4 river miles including several floodplains and side channels.
  • Weeds surveys along fire lines cut for the Eagle Creek Fire.
  • I had an amazing vacation boating down the Salmon River in Idaho!
  • Gorge Weeds control and survey work will be continuing.
  • Knotweed control will be ramping up.
  • I'm going to catch up on equity homework.
Weed Management Jon Wagner
  • Chris and I completed a 2.7 mile weed survey in the burn zone along a decomissioned fire line and hand line.
  • Chris and I completed 4 miles of surveying and controling of knotweed along the Sandy River.
  • Chris, Lucas and I finished annual false brome surveys and control.
  • I will be on vacation with my family.
  • Lucas and I will conduct monthly water quality sampling and wildlife surveys.
  • Chris and I will continue annual knotweed surveys and control and continue burn zone weed vector surveys.
Outreach & Education Chelsea White-Brainard
  • Wrote a guest blog post for the Sandy River Watershed Council. This is part of a larger, collaborative approach to outreach that involves EMSWCD, City of Gresham, Multnomah County, and the Sandy River Watershed Council, and was launched with the Beaver Creek water quality mailer.
  • Participated in second round of CFO interviews.
  • Attended 4-County Cooperative Weed Management Area meetings at Tualatin Soil and Water Conservation District, including the general meeting, Pull Together planning meeting, and a Steering Committee meeting.
  • Continue preparing for FarWest Show.
  • Continue working on elements of the Equity Plan, including but not limited to: the equity statement, cultural values, and the equity lens.
  • Work with Rural Lands team to test out our draft equity lens and compile feedback.
Program Management Kathy Shearin
  • Assisted with CSWC Annual Regatta - Helped get 340 people floating on the Slough in four hours!
  • Attended: EMSWCD board meeting, IPM Web Tool steering committee, Management team meeting. Strategic Planning discussion with program managers.
  • Mt. Hood Community College stormwater retrofit construction to parking lots EFGH began!!!
  • Performance evaluations for Urban Lands Staff.
  • Internal Equity team meeting.
  • Out early next week for a rest at Breitenbush. Thanks EMSWCD! (10+15yr work anniversary gifts!).
Technical Assistance Whitney Bailey
  • Performance evaluation.
  • Technical assistance regarding pokeweed, blackberries and greywater.
  • Updated Conservation Directory entries.
  • Attended CWMA General Meeting and Pull Together committee mtg. Attended CSWC Tech Team meeting. Attended UERC Lunch and Learn on trees and air quality in Portland.
  • Communications with neighbors regarding Tree of Heaven and evergreens.
  • Assisted with UL internship applicant reviews.
Outreach & Education Angela Previdelli
  • Tabled at Columbia Slough WC's Regatta event.
  • Reviewed applications for new itern position.
  • Conducted phone calls with SUN Schools interested in SPACE Grant program.
  • Conduct first round of interviews for the new intern position.
  • Table at Gresham Neighborhood Assosciation's Picnic in the Park event.
Outreach & Education Katie Meckes
  • Much of the past two weeks have been spent reviewing and scoring 40 intern applications. Selected 8 applicants to interview, and confirmed interviews for next week.
  • Fall workshop season preparations including reviewing new Landscaping with Edibles presentation, scheduling meetings with presenters, and receiving and filing new contracts for FY18-19.
  • Other general tasks included covering front desk during CFO interviews, attended plant sale kick-off meeting, filed spring 2017 workshop alumni survey data.
  • Intern interviews ongoing through next week.
  • Work with Josie to ensure fall workshops are all set and ready to go before her departure on August 31st. Sad face.
  • Attend Grant Butte meeting on August 15th.
Outreach & Education Josie Moberg
  • Prepped roster sheets in binder (binder now ready for new intern)
  • Documented all projects from my time here in a folder in SUL Tdrive folder
  • Continued with outreach to local papers, newsletters, and calendars.
Program Management Andrew Brown
  • Finalized CL staff annual performance reviews.
  • Reviewed working lands conservation easement template and related guidelines.
  • Participated in the second round of interviews for the CFO recruitment.
  • Work with management team and program staff to refine goal and objective statements for strategic plan. Create template for FY17-18 Annual Report for input from program staff.
  • Assist Matt with finalizing easement template and guidelines, with advancing the management planning for the new farmland property acquisitions, and closing on farm under contract.
  • Participate in equity planning.
Grants Suzanne Easton
  • Suzanne was out of office during this reporting period and unable to submit a report.
Land Legacy Matt Shipkey
  • OAHP Draft Rules Comments submitted.
  • Succession Planning Resource substantially developed.
  • Post-acquisition planning for property in contract advanced. Working farmland outreach efforts advanced.
  • Individual equity assignments completed.
  • Led Land Legacy Committee meeting.
  • Substantially ready for closing on property in contract.
  • 2019 use plan for property in contract advanced.
  • Working farmland easement template prepped and sent to Counsel for review.
  • Advance use and stewardship activities at Mainstem.
Headwaters Farm Rowan Steele
  • Rowan was out of office during this reporting period and unable to submit a report.
Headwaters Farm Stuart Moeller
  • Rowan was out of office during this reporting period and unable to submit Stuart's items.