` Activity Report for the Period 7/16/2018 – 7/27/2018

Activity Report for the Period 7/16/2018 – 7/27/2018

East Multnomah Soil and Water Conservation District
Jay Udelhoven
  • External Engagement: Met with WMSWCD Manager to discuss issues relevant to both districts.
  • Boards/Committees: Prepared for and hosted Personnel Committee meeting.
  • Policies/Planning/Budgeting: Completed revision of personnel policies; continued discussions regarding strategic planning/organizational issues with individual board members.
  • Supervision/Leadership: Participated in one-day CEI training; continued work on six staff performance reviews; participated in CFO interviews; met with staff 1x1, F&O team, and management team.
  • Program Implementation: Discussed progress and future of StreamCare/CreekCare in Johnson Creek with Clackamas SWCD; participated in monthly meeting with NRCS and WMSWCD to discuss working lands conservation projects of mutual interest.
  • External Engagement: Meet with ED of Multnomah County Drainage District to discuss issues relevant to both districts; meet with DEI representatives of the Port of Portland to discuss the Port’s equity work; prepare for and present at the Tri-state SWCC meeting.
  • Boards/Committees: Prepare for and host Board meeting; participate in Land Legacy Committee meeting.
  • Policies/Planning/Budgeting: Continue work on annual work plan and strategic plan.
  • Supervision/Leadership: Continue work on six staff performance reviews; participate in CFO interviews; meet with staff 1x1, F&O team, and management team.
  • Program Implementation: Nothing planned.
Program Supervision / Finance & Budget Lissa Adams
  • Lissa participated in 2 days of CFO interviews.
  • Lissa is working part-time and focused on budgeting, payroll and accounting/billing.
Office Management Lindsay Nelson
  • IT: Spent some time on calendar issues with Tyler and Kyle. Met with Alex, Jay, and Andrew to discuss IT plan in Alex's absence. Spent some time setting up the Board emails and forwarding emails.
  • Attended: final CEI Follow Up, SDAO HR Training. Met With Greg from SDAO.
  • Branded gear: I organized Staff's personal branding items and prepared for delivery for embroidery, and did an inventory of the new branded gear that came in. Cross referenced current personnel policies on Leaves of Absences with information from HR Training.
  • Processed invoices for payment.
  • Sent out public notice for Personnel Committee Meeting. Prepared and sent out Personnel Committee Meeting Packet. Set up, record, and take minutes for Personnel Committee meeting.
  • Setup and participated in 1st round of CFO interviews.
  • Participate in round 2 of CFO interviews.
  • Set up, record, and take minutes for Land Legacy Committee Meeting.
  • Prepare Board Packet for August Board meeting.
Facilities Management Scot Wood
  • I repaired the "ramp" from the foyer into the back hallway by covering it in non-skid rubber.
  • I sat on the interview panel for the first round of interviews for the CFO hire.
  • The rafters are up, the skip sheeting and roof have been installed on the new shed roof attached to the curing shed at Headwaters. A few pieces of trim are left to purchase and install.
  • I will be sitting on the interview panel for the next round of interviews for the CFO hire.
  • I will be starting on the boxes for the new onsite composting facility.
Marketing & Media Alex Woolery
  • Took one full week vacation - road trip to California and back. Hiked in Pt. Reyes, camped and hiked in Central California
  • Caught up after vacation: emails, website and Board/Committee updates, assisting staff with remaining and new IT issues.
  • IT: After-hours server reboot to apply group policies and improve network and VPN connections. Received and reviewed VPN tutorials and will distribute to staff. Assistance with software, document recovery, jobs email, device permissions. Took a brief webinar which earned us a free Meraki 8-port switch.
  • Media/outreach/program assistance: created draft Land Legacy panels with Matt, reviewed and edited PIC Grants survey, worked with Jon (feedback and language) for new Hot Salmon/Cool Salmon comic.
  • Participated in two days of first-round interviews for CFO.
  • Conservation Legacy: Work with Suzanne to finalize and release PIC Grants Survey. Also continue working with Suzanne on finalizing Grants display panels, with Matt on Land Legacy display panels, and with Rowan on Headwaters materials.
  • Continue working on remaining IT issues and new issues as they come up.
  • Performance review, work plan.
Information Technology Lindsay Nelson,
Alex Woolery
  • Lindsay and Alex responded to staff IT issues and questions as needed; see notes in their individual reports above.
  • Lindsay and Alex and will respond to staff IT issues and questions as needed.
Program Management Julie DiLeone
  • Visiting family last week.
  • Round 1 of CFO interviews.
  • Monthly meeting with Center for Equity and Inclusion.
  • Round 2 of CFO interviews.
  • 2 staff reviews.
Rural Water Quality Aaron Guffey
  • Aaron has been working offsite on an Erosion Solutions project and was unable to submit a report.
StreamCare Lucas Nipp
  • Final planning before site clearing begins on newly enrolled StreamCare sites. Did one more exit site visit with a landowner who is graduating from the StreamCare Program.
  • I submitted plant orders for weed control planting sites, StreamCare sites, and Headwaters Pollinator areas to be planted this fall and winter.
  • I assisted Jon and Chris with a few days of false brome control in the burn area of the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area.
  • I completed a CLIP conservation plan for a livestock exclusion fence proposal and submitted to the CLIP team.
  • Site clearing begins on newly enrolled StreamCare sites. I will have two contract crews out clearing weeds on three sites (14.45 acres). One each in the Beaver, Johnson, and Big Creek Watershed.
  • I will be working with Chelsea and Matt to finalize the questions for this year's online survey of graduating StreamCare landowners.
  • I will be sending out a few agreement extensions for landowners that will be re-enrolling in the StreamCare Program because their sites are not free to grow after five years.
  • Rowan and are doing a tour for a group including Customs and Border Patrol, United States Department of Agriculture, Oregon Department of Agriculture, and Department of Agricultures from other states at Headwaters and the DPNA.
Technical Assistance Jeremy Baker
  • After returning from a 10 day break for my birthday I have completed updates to my 2018-2019 Annual Workplan and the 2018 Annual Review.
  • Finalized and funded a CLIP project focused on soil moisture monitoring for irrigation water management on about 2/5 acres of blueberries.
  • Chaired the July OCEAN Board meeting and met with Oregon Conservation Partnership (OrCP). Connect 2019 planning is already underway and we are in the process of finalizing the location and date. We will be heading to Central Oregon for next years training conference.
  • Contacted the two landowners on my "wait list" to begin the planning process with them. One will be addressing mud issues and water quality on a horse operation. The second is looking to convert a former christmas tree operation into pasture for grazing animals.
  • Weather Station and Soil Moisture Monitoring: Met with HIP grower last week to investigation concens we're having over what soil mositure sensors are telling us (displaying). We used a soil probe to look at soils down to 12" so that we better understand what the data means when it comes to moisture at various depths.
  • I continue working with and learning the weather station website to understand its functionality to better prepare for display and use by the general public.
Weed Management Chris Aldassy
  • I helped run two EDRR trainings for Friends of the Gorge volunteers.
  • Jon and I worked on False Brome control.
  • I had my self review with Julie.
  • I will continue work on False Brome control.
Weed Management Jon Wagner
  • Chris and I worked with Friends of the Gorge volunteers to train them to ID plants on the pacific crest trail. Lucas, Chris and I complete first pass control for false brome at all control sites.
  • Lucas and I conducted water quality sampling and monthly wildlife surveys. I assiste with macroinvertebrate sampling in upper Beaver Creek.
  • I finished preparing Beaver Creek water quality materials to be sent to the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality. I created a comic about the effects of cold and hot water on salmon.
  • Continue false brome and burn zone weed control.
Outreach & Education Chelsea White-Brainard
  • Worked with partners to prepare a booth for FarWest Show. Partner organizations: Clackamas Soil and Water Conservation District and Tualatin Soil and Water Conservation District.
  • Participated in the first round of CFO interviews as the Equity Team representative.
  • Attended Equity Team follow-up session with CEI (Center for Equity and Inclusion). Worked on Equity Statement.
  • Continue preparing for FarWest Show.
  • Participate in the second round of CFO interviews as the Equity Team representative.
  • Work on partner blog post about stream temperatures and their affects on salmon. Partners: City of Gresham, Sandy River Watershed Council, Multnomah County.
Program Management Kathy Shearin
  • A couple of vacations - one to Wyoming/Yellowstone and one to San Juan Islands! Woo - hoo!
  • Meetings: MHCC Stakeholders meeting. Whitney and I met with City of Troutdale to discuss possible partnership opportunities.
  • Attended Solve Pest Problems Steering Committee meeting.
  • Participated in CFO interviews.
  • Working on employee performance evaluations.
  • Participate in CFO interviews.
  • Meetings: MHCC Stakeholders meeting, attend CEI Equity meeting, meeting with CSWC staff to discuss status of partnership.
Technical Assistance Whitney Bailey
  • Finished Performance Evaluation and FY18-19 Work Plan draft.
  • Conversations with Blossom, staff, and third parties regarding ailanthus removal.
  • Technical assistance regarding historic tree preservation, blackberry removal, downspout assessment in UIC area, non-native weed ID in restoration planting, and general Naturescaping practices.
  • Attended IJC meeting.
Outreach & Education Angela Previdelli
  • Completed self evaluation draft for FY17-18.
  • Conducted outreach to SUN Schools to promote SPACE Grant program.
  • CEI Equity Training session.
  • Meetings with SUN Schools interested in SPACE Grants.
  • Table at Columbia Slough Regatta event.
Outreach & Education Katie Meckes
  • Finished workshop presenter contract updates, sent contracts and initiated pre-fall season check-in meetings.
  • Continued intern recruitment efforts proved fruitful. So far we have 25 applicants.
  • Worked with Josie to develop a list of prioritized activities before her September 5th departure.
  • Continuing to refine work plan for FY18-19.
Outreach & Education Josie Moberg
  • Finalized fliers for fall workshops.
  • Final prep before publishing workshops to website at end of July.
  • Read through intern applications (to eventually give feedback to Katie).
  • Organized all database needs to make final to-do list for my time here.
Program Management Andrew Brown
  • Produced final draft EMSWCD annual plan for presentation to the August Board meeting.
  • Completed annual performance reviews for Conservation Legacy staff.
  • Participated in first round interviews for CFO recruitment.
  • Advance the draft strategic plan document. Create template for FY17-18 Annual Report for input from program staff.
  • Review working lands conservation easement template and related guidelines, and assist Matt with their finalization.
  • Participate in the second round of interviews for the CFO recruitment.
Grants Suzanne Easton
  • Completed performance review.
  • SPACE - reviewed new applications and assisted Angela with ZoomGrants set-up.
  • Continued working on 2018 PIC contracts.
  • Attended CEI training.
  • Met with Verde development and landscape staff to discuss opportunities for next PIC cycle.
  • Continue work on PIC contracts.
  • Canoe trip site visit with Adventures Without Limits.
  • Meet with Friends of Trees staff on 2018 PIC. Meet with CSWC to check in about organization changes.
Land Legacy Matt Shipkey
  • Vacation.
  • Oxbow LOI Executed.
  • Appraisal of several working farmland easement interests commenced.
  • OAHP draft rule comments finalized.
  • Land Legacy Committee meeting agenda and materials finalized.
  • OAHP Draft Rules comments submitted.
  • Working farmland easement template revisions advanced.
  • Access/Succession Planning resource development.
  • Post-acquisition planning for property in contract advanced.
  • Working farmland outreach efforts advanced.
  • Complete equity assignments.
Headwaters Farm Rowan Steele
  • Conducted mid-season check in meetings with incubator farms.
  • Facilitated a process to select a lessee for Mainstem Farm.
  • Offered an Integrated Pest Management workshop with OSU Extension Service to incubator farmers and Rogue Farm Corp apprentices.
  • Provided tour of Headwaters Farm to attendees of the West Coast Agricultural Roundtable conference and another tour to Oregon Department of Agriculture Pollinator Flagship Farm staff and reporters.
  • Meeting with Diana Tourney of the Small Business Development Center to discuss ways to support the farm business planning process for incubator farmers.
  • Finishing up mid-season check in meetings.
  • Conducting the second “weed walk” of the season to assess the weed management upkeep in each plot.
Headwaters Farm Stuart Moeller
  • Supported the construction of the awning over the bin washing area.
  • Provided weed management using the tractor mower around the farm and hand tools in pollinator habitat.
  • Filled many sandbags in order to complete silage tarping of problem weed areas.
  • Supporting the construction of the compost boxes.
  • Discing a fallowed field.
  • Finishing the mowing around Mainstem Farm.