Activity Report for the Period 7/2/2018 – 7/13/2018

East Multnomah Soil and Water Conservation District
Jay Udelhoven
  • On vacation for most of the reporting period.
  • External Engagement: Nothing to report.
  • Boards/Committees: Nothing to report.
  • Policies/Planning/Budgeting: Met with representatives from Coalition of Oregon Land Trusts, the state, Association of Oregon Counties, and League of Oregon Cities to discuss possible legislative fixes to a property tax issue; discussed strategic planning/organizational issues with individual board members.
  • Supervision/Leadership: Worked on six staff performance reviews.
  • Program Implementation: Nothing to report.
  • External Engagement: Potentially attend the Pleasant Valley Neighborhood Association meeting as part of community outreach.
  • Boards/Committees: Prepare for and host Personnel Committee meeting.
  • Policies/Planning/Budgeting: Complete revision of personnel policies; continue discussions regarding strategic planning/organizational issues with individual board members.
  • Supervision/Leadership: Continue work on six staff performance reviews; participate in CFO interviews; meet with staff 1x1, F&O team, and management team.
  • Program Implementation: Participate in monthly meeting with NRCS and WMSWCD to discuss working lands conservation projects of mutual interest.
Program Supervision / Finance & Budget Lissa Adams
  • Lissa is working part-time and focused on budgeting and accounting/billing.
Office Management Lindsay Nelson
  • Spent some time reading and responding to emails.
  • Spent several hours on IT updates and troubleshooting tickets. Spent a few hours hooking up the conference system. I reentered all of the Board and Committee meetings in the room calendars.
  • Sent out 2 weeks work of checks to various vendors. I ordered supplies. Caught up on distributing incoming mail and coding invoices for payment.
  • I reached out to Moda Dental to get updates on certain employees benefits.
  • Finished the LLC Meeting minutes.
Facilities Management Scot Wood
  • I picked up a new desk for Suzanne, removed her old one and installed the new one. I also moved bookcases and other furniture items around in the board room.
  • I cleaned up the curbs along the streets bordering the office property as well as cleaned up the sidewalks along the edges of the landscaping.
  • Stuart, Rowan and I installed the posts and beams for the curing building shed roof at Headwaters, and I was able to cut and hang better than half of the rafters before I went on a mini vacation.
  • I will need to find a home for Suzanne's old desk.
  • I will be hanging the rest of the rafters, installing the skip sheeting and the metal roof.
Marketing & Media Alex Woolery
  • IT: I spent a much larger than normal amount of time assisting with the email and server migration. Worked with all staff and with TeamLogic to work out station, user, network, email, software and printer questions, as well as to restore individuals' settings, files, desktops and bookmarks. Over the course of the last three weeks have also helped reconnect all devices to the new server, migrate emails, troubleshoot migration issues and gaps, recover emails, fix network, display and internet issues, help with conferencing setup, and more.
  • The vast majority of IT issues and needs that arose from the migration have been resolved, but some issues remain. I met with Jay, Andrew and Lindsay to discuss and work out a plan to continue cataloging and resolving issues during my absence as I take vacation next week.
  • Event displays: Met with Matt and Rowan to go over display panel materials for Land Legacy and Headwaters, worked with Rowan and Andrew to develop three display panels, and with Chelsea to print and work out display options. Continued on new display panel drafts for Grants.
  • Worked with Matt to develop final icons and imagery/content changes for the new Working Farmland Protection section on the development website. Copied all changes to the public website, new Farmland Protection section is live!
  • Worked with Angela and Suzanne to implement SPACE grant transition on website: text/formatting changes, file uploads, website and social media announcements. Updated Conservation Directory, made minor changes and fixes to pages, updated front page posts.
  • Will be out on vacation until July 23rd!
  • Participate in CFO interview panels.
  • Assist with any ongoing or new IT issues as necessary.
  • Work to complete performance review process.
Information Technology Lissa Adams,
Lindsay Nelson,
Alex Woolery
  • Alex and Lindsay responded to staff IT issues and questions as needed; see notes in their individual reports above.
  • See Alex and Lindsay's notes above.
  • Alex and Lindsay will respond to staff IT issues and questions as needed.
Program Management Julie DiLeone
  • Annual reviews for 4 of 6 Rural Lands staff.
  • Made progress on the designs for the Mishima property, now known as Mainstem Farm.
  • Reviewed and ranked CFO candidates.
  • CFO interviews.
  • Monthly meeting with Center for Equity and Inclusion.
  • 2 staff reviews.
Rural Water Quality Aaron Guffey
  • Oversaw earthworks for the Erosion Solutions project at a nursery.
  • Finalized the CLIP agreement for the Erosion Solutions project.
  • Collaborated with Consulutants, reviewed invoices, and prepared services contracts for the Erosion Solutions project.
  • Attended the June partners meeting (IJC) for the Johnson Creek watershed.
  • Engage in the diversity, equity, and inclusion process EMSWCD staff are participating in.
  • Attend all Oregon Association of Nurseries Mt Hood Chapter meetings and events. Fulfill the responsibilities of treasurer on the Mt. Hood Chapter board.
  • Connect with partners to explore opportunities for developing better solutions regarding cover crop useage on nurseries.
StreamCare Lucas Nipp
  • I have been working on getting the final landowners enrolled in StreamCare as we will begin site clearing in early August. I have been doing site visits and getting agreements to landowners. Also, doing some final outreach (with Chelsea) and scheduling the contractors to do the site clearing.
  • I've done five exit site visits with landowners graduating from StreamCare this summer. I meet with them and walk the site and discuss what we did, talk about what to expect moving forward, and answer any questions. I also provide them with a native plant ID guide and a list of plants we installed on their property.
  • I completed my self review and have been working on my work plan and job description.
  • I will be doing a few more site visits and getting the final agreements to landowners who will be enrolling in StreamCare this summer.
  • I will be continuing exit site visits with landowners who will be graduating from StreamCare this summer.
Technical Assistance Jeremy Baker
  • Jeremy was not able to submit his report during this work period.
Weed Management Chris Aldassy
  • I have been leading crews on USFS and OPRD sites as a part of the burn response.
  • I gave a site tour to one of our most heavily infested False Brome sites to a USFS representative.
  • Working with Jon on False Brome control.
  • Attended a field tour through the Columbia Gorge CWMA.
  • I will be helping run two EDRR trainings for Friends of the Gorge volunteers
  • Jon and I will be working on False Brome control.
  • I will have my performance review with Julie.
Weed Management Jon Wagner
  • I finished my self review and work plan. I made edits to the Beaver Creek sampling and analysis plan.
  • I attended the annual Columbia Gorge Cooperative Weed Management Area field trip.
  • Chris, Lucas and I finished summer garlic mustard control. Chris and I have been completing a first pass control of false brome.
  • Chris and I will work with volunteers in conjunction with Friends of the Gorge to teach how to identify, survey for and control high-priority weeds.
  • Lucas and I will conduct water quality sampling and monthly wildlife surveys. I will assist with macroinvertebrate sampling on Beaver Creek.
  • Chris, Lucas, Chelsea and I will finish the first pass of false brome surveys and control.
Outreach & Education Chelsea White-Brainard
  • Took photos out at Headwaters to continue building up our photo library. Got photos of crops, pollinator hedgerows and meadows, native plants, and beaver activity in the Dianna Pope Natural area. Worked with Lucas to take photo points of the newly planted pollinator hedgerows. Worked with Aaron to install a time-lapse camera to capture the work on the Erosion Solutions project in progress.
  • Met with partners to prepare a booth for FarWest Show.
  • Tabled at OSU Extension's Small Farm School. Used new display template to design a few display panels for Rural Lands.
  • As the Equity Team representative, participate in CFO interviews.
  • Continue working with partners to prepare a booth for FarWest Show. Partner organizations: Clackamas SWCD and Tualatin SWCD.
  • Wrap up StreamCare outreach for the season.
Program Management Kathy Shearin
  • Kathy was not able to submit a report during this work period.
Technical Assistance Whitney Bailey
  • Supervised hazardous walnut tree removal; coordinating with Friends of Trees for replacement.
  • Meetings: met with Food by Design to discuss water catchment and irrigation for SPACE grant. Met with Troutdale to discuss stormwater management assistance. Co-led CLIP Team meeting.
  • Met with Gresham homeowner to discuss rain garden options.
  • Followed up with potential SPACE grant applicants regarding: establishing a teaching garden, water catchment system, and summer sheet mulching/planting.
  • Submitted comments on Nadaka vegetation management plan.
  • Reviewed entire Conservation Directory for entries in need of updating (updates beginning soon).
  • Began Annual Review documentation.
Outreach & Education Angela Previdelli
  • Cully Park and Explorando el Columbia Slough event was a great success!
  • I took a vacation to Port Townsend for a week.
  • Met with community leader to start planning a non-English workshop event with a refugee group.
  • Performance evaluation and work plan draft and review.
  • ZoomGrants support during first round using the new platform. Train board members on how to use program to review applications.
Outreach & Education Katie Meckes
  • Katie was on vacation for much of this work period.
Outreach & Education Josie Moberg
  • Josie was not able to submit her report during this work period.
Program Management Andrew Brown
  • Finalized first draft of the FY18-19 EMSWCD Annual Work Plan.
  • Worked on staff performance reviews for direct reports, and conducted review for one staff member.
  • Assisted with SPACE grants set-up on ZoomGrants online grants management platform, troubleshooting issues with migration to new IT server, and resolved various financial year end expenditures.
  • Produce final draft EMSWCD annual plan, and strategic plan in preparation for August Board meeting.
  • Complete annual performance reviews for all direct reports.
  • Participate in first round interviews for CFO recruitment.
Grants Suzanne Easton
  • Continued to work on 2018 PIC contracts - 12 completed, 5 to go.
  • Presented at Garden Education Certification training hosted by Growing Gardens; attended Cully Park Grand Opening Celebration; attended Nancy Bond's (PPS Sustainability Coordinator) retirement party.
  • Met with Joanne Vrilakas from Leach Botanical Garden, prospective PIC 2019 grant applicant.
  • Worked with Angela to successfully launch SPACE grants program on ZoomGrants.
  • Complete performance review, finalize FY18/19 workplan.
  • Continue to work on 2018 PIC contracts.
  • Set up site visits for late summer, early fall.
  • Prep for CEI meeting in late July.
  • Meet with CSWC staff - check in on SPA.
Land Legacy Matt Shipkey
  • New transaction due diligence finalized. LOI developed for Oxbow disposition.
  • Website updates finalized and live.
  • Several exising property interest paper and electronic files created.
  • Advanced discussions with mission driven capital entity. Advanced discussion on working farmland easement opportunity.
  • On vacation.
  • Appraisal of several workng farmland easement interests in progress.
  • Oxbow LOI executed.
  • Land Legacy Committee meeting prep.
  • OAHP draft rule comments finalized.
Headwaters Farm Rowan Steele
  • Oversaw, facilitated, or supported: stormwater projects and driveway bump-out (which are all complete); bin wash awning, solar review for Headwaters Farm’s barn and curing shed, and HIP outreach panel.
  • Presented at Small Farms School on food safety at Headwaters Farm and the use of tarps for weed management and conservation benefits.
  • Wrote article on farmer development in our region for Growing For Market publication.
  • Conducting a review process for selecting a lessee at Mainstem Farm.
  • Starting to hold mid-season check in meetings with all the farms.
  • Discussing succession planning and farm business planning with the Small Business Development Center and Matt.
Headwaters Farm Stuart Moeller
  • Supported Scot on the bin washing awning.
  • Weeded the new hedge row, parking area, and around the facilities.
  • Unfurled and secured a half acre of silage tarps in a fallowed area as part of an invasive weed management strategy and experiment.
  • Mowing all grass roadways and Mainstem Farm.
  • Supporting Scot with the construction of the compost boxes.
  • Repair a broken riser in Hoophouse #1.