Activity Report for the Period 6/17/2019 – 6/28/2019

East Multnomah Soil and Water Conservation District
Andrew Brown
  • Andrew Brown, EMSWCD's Conservation Legacy Program Supervisor, is currently serving as Acting Executive Director in the interim. See his report here.
Program Supervision / Finance & Budget Dan Mitten
  • Work on E.D. transition-related issues, attended transition-related meetings. Met with Acting Executive Director and program supervisors to address transition issues and plan next steps and workloads.
  • Worked with bookkeeper on June payroll processing and retirement contributions.
  • Prepared budget versus actual reports to monitor and for program managers' review. Prepared May 2019 financial reports for upcoming Board Meeting.
  • Will continue to support Board, staff, and Acting/Interim ED on transition.
  • Will work with bookkeeper on payroll review process to avoid errors after payroll transmission.
  • Will continue efforts towards completing workplans and contributing to the completion of the annual plan and strategic plan.
Office Management Lindsay Nelson
  • Completed FY 19-20 work plan.
  • Set up, recorded, and took minutes for the Special Board of Directors meeting for June 2019. Finished Special Board Meeting Miniutes and Board of Director meeting minutes for June 2019.
  • Completed SOP of creating Board and Committee meeting packets.
Facilities Management Scot Wood
  • The electrical and concrete work are completed for the new EV charging station! The charging stations will be installed after the new paver area is completed sometime towards the end of July.
  • I have continued working on wash station improvements at Headwaters.
  • The new main hall heater and electrical work has been completed! Much quieter and more efficient!!
  • I will be working to set up the concrete work on the front steps and landing. We will be replacing the steps landing and steps as well as part of the city sidewalk this summer.
  • I will still be continuing work on wash station improvements.
Marketing & Media Alex Woolery
  • Materials: sketched and designed new set of 6 icons for Urban Lands brochures. Working final graphic, font and formatting changes in and preparing to print.
  • Changes to website including Land Conservation section, Board and Committee support.
  • Worked with Suzanne and Andrew to edit PIC grant press release and begin distributing to media. Feedback on Oxbow press release redraft.
  • Continue working with staff and printer to get several materials proofed, drafted and reprinted.
  • Continue work on Land Legacy outreach materials and website content.
  • Help with IT issues including network, software, internet access, maintenance scheduling, etc.
Program Management Julie DiLeone
  • Completed the ODA funding application package for FY19-20.
  • Completed a draft of the Rural Lands section for the annual work plan. Also helped compile program drafts into one document.
  • Reviewed the draft Ag. Management Plan for a potential easement.
  • Out of the office July 2-8. Back for the Board meeting afternoon of the 8th.
Rural Water Quality Aaron Guffey
  • Made a pre-construction survey a road alignment elevations for a nursery to install an approved CLIP access road project.
  • Compiled documentation for two irrigation improvement CLIP grants for the nursery that purchased EMSWCD's Oxbow property.
  • Met internally and on-site regarding a property that a nursery intends to purchase on which EMSWCD would like to put a conservation easement.
  • Monitor CLIP projects I have managed.
  • Work with a nursery to install an approved CLIP access road project. Assist the same nursery with irrigation efficiency.
  • Work with the nursery that purchased EMSWCD's Oxbow property to implement conservation practices on the property.
StreamCare Lucas Nipp
  • Chelsea and I wrapped up StreamCare direct outreach for the year, focusing outreach in Big and Smith Creeks. We left information at 47 properties, either with landowners, or at the doors for those not home. Six site visits have came out of this outreach so far and maps and agreeements have been sent for review to these six landowners.
  • I led a tour of the Dianna Pope Natural Area and some of the pollinator plantings as part of the 4-County Cooperative Weed Management Area's annual Field Day. Thanks to Rowan and Chelsea for their great support of this event.
  • I had a crew out for two days treating weeds on StreamCare sites that were planted earlier this year.
  • I will be continuing site visits, map making, and agreement preparation for those landowners interested in signing up for StreamCare this summer.
  • I am going to begin setting up exit site visits for landowners that will be graduating from StreamCare this summer.
  • Chelsea, Rowan and I are going to meet to begin planning an open house we are going to hold for neighbors of the Dianna Pope Natural Area and Headwaters Farm this summer.
Technical Assistance Jeremy Baker
  • Installed soil moisture monitoring equipment at Headwaters for Irrigation Water Management.
  • Completed planning for stormwater mitigation for a hoophouse at Mainstem.
  • Prepped for and chaired OCEAN monthly meeting.
  • Drafting a phase 1 (of probably 3) conservation plan to address mud management plan and pasture issues for a horse operation in Corbett which will be seeking CLIP funding in the coming months.
  • Updating FY19-20 Annual Work Plan.
Weed Management Chris Aldassy
  • Vacation!
  • Controlling False Brome.
  • Garlic Mustard final site visits.
  • Burn area EDRR work will continue.
  • False Brome work.
  • Policemens helmet surveys.
Weed Management Jon Wagner
  • I finished the final passes at all garlic mustard control sites. Chris and I began first passes for false brome surveys and control.
  • Chelsea and I collected the monthly water quality samples and conducted the wildlife survey.
  • I attended the Beaver Creek Partnership meeting and presented E. coli data for our Beaver Creek sites.
  • We will continue false brome surveys and control.
  • I will submit water quality data for Johnson and Beaver Creek to the water quality exchange portal.
Outreach & Education Chelsea White-Brainard
  • With Lucas, conducted a site visit with the Columbia Grange and provided them with advice on installing pollinator habitat.
  • Did on-the-ground outreach for StreamCare with Lucas. Conducted site visits with interested landowners.
  • Helped Jon with water quality sampling in Beaver and Johnson Creeks and the monthly wildlife survey of the Dianna Pope Natural Area at Headwaters Farm.
  • I will be on vacation.
Program Management Kathy Shearin
  • Meeting with NAYA to discuss partnership. Met with potential new contract presenter. Met with VOZ and People Places Things to discuss partnership. Met with management team to discuss climate change next steps.
  • Special EMSWCD board meeting, CSWC Board meeting.
  • Attended: Science to Policy Summit on Plastics in the Environment, Beaver Creek Partnership meeting.
  • Meeting with contractor to get bid for parking lot pervious pavers.
Technical Assistance Whitney Bailey
  • Vacation June 17th through the 21st.
  • Technical assistance for: plant ID, invasive removal, rain gardens and community garden grant projects.
  • Attended Green Schoolyards Project team meeting.
  • Nature Notes 9 completed: One choice at a time.
Outreach & Education Monica McAllister
  • Developing the DEI Discussion Groups with Committee. Meeting with Voz about culturally specific workshops. Worked with Brandi on Culturally Responsive Workshop.
  • 4-County CWMA Field Day/presentation, Nadaka Visioning Committee, and Walk Williams Tabling Event.
  • Meetings: East Portland Parks Meeting, various CSWC staff about programs, partners, DEI, and transitions. DEI Planning Committee and Internal Working Group .
  • Starting the DEI Discussion Groups with EMSWCD Staff.
  • EMSWCD Tour of NAYA / Board Meeting. Canopy Stories Film Viewing.
  • Working with communities on culturally specific/responsive workshops, specifically Voz
Outreach & Education Brandi Boersma
  • Attended Lower Columbia Estuary Partnership's Plastics Summit.
  • Tabled at Columbia Slough Watershed Council's annual Explorando event.
  • Formalizing our goals and processes for our Culturally-Specific Workshops, including entering into a contract with IRCO in order to offer written translations and spoken interpretation services.
  • Walk Williams.
  • Humboldt Neighborhood Association Meeting.
  • Scheduling a Russian Language Workshop with Leach Botanical Garden.
Outreach & Education Rhesa Napoli
  • Rhesa was unable to submit a report for this work period.
Program Management Andrew Brown
  • Worked on various leadership transition related matters resulting from the departure of our Executive Director.
  • Collated the draft EMSWCD FY19-20 annual work plan for.
  • Worked on resolving the appropriate procurement choices regarding the Headwaters solar PV installation.
  • Plan and prepare various items for the July 8th Board meeting to be held at NAYA.
  • Work on the 2019 performance reviews for the Conservation Legacy staff.
  • Assist Rowan with advancing the procurement of the equipment shed construction at Headwaters.
Grants Suzanne Easton
  • PIC - The 2019 contracting process is proceeding, 7 remaining out of 20. Set-up for 2019 reimbursement process. Also closing out 2018 projects as completed.
  • SPACE - Updated application for FY2019/20. Transitioned to new deadline - July 1.
  • DEI - Worked with Equity Team to prepare educational materials for July small group discussions, distributed to staff. Attended seminar hosted by PEAK Grantmaking: Collecting and Using Demographic information.
  • 2019 PIC - Work on contracts.
  • DEI - Meet with internal working group, next steps for baseline/demographic info.
  • Off first week of July.
Land Legacy Matt Shipkey
  • Substantially advanced a working farmland conservation opportunity.
  • Successful presentation at Land Camp (60+ attendees), attended and helped organize this well-received learning opportunity.
  • Identify if working farmland conservation opportunity can be advanced.
  • Prepare for July Board meeting.
  • Advance outreach elements.
Headwaters Farm Rowan Steele
  • Oversaw: the realignment—and subsequent decommission—of roads in the Natural Area, improvements to the main driveway, and the site preparation for the equipment shed.
  • Took two HIP farms for a tour of the Gordon Creek site.
  • Meet with Portland Farmers Market staff to discuss possible collaborations this fall with a permanent “HIP booth” for incubator farmers at the Portland State University market.
  • Coordinating with PGE to up-size the transformer and feed to the Headwaters Farm barn.
  • Setting up 2nd Quarter HIP invoices and conducting the first Weed Walk of the season.
  • Sourcing an electric utility vehicle for HIP staff.
Headwaters Farm Stuart Moeller
  • Conducted extensive weed management, including: thistle in hedgerows, around the Dianna Pope plaque, and major outbreak in non-leased acreage at Mainstem Farm.
  • Built and modified risers for a new production field.
  • Installed poly along the north side of the barn wash station to improve food safety, processing efficiency, and worker comfort.
  • Mowing the farm and addressing blackberry along the frontage road.
  • Conducting regular maintenance checks and repairs on BCS walk-behind tractors and implements.
  • Repairing upper prophouse poly so it will re-inflate.