Activity Report for the Period 5/16/2016 – 5/27/2016

East Multnomah Soil and Water Conservation District
Jay Udelhoven
  • Boards/Committees: Prepped for board June meeting; attended May Land Legacy Committee meeting.
  • External Engagement: Met with Gerald Deloney from Coalition of Communities of Color and Advancement for Self Enhancement Inc., exchanging information on his green job pipeline and Grant Butte community efforts; prepared final version of Strategic Partnership Agreement with the watershed councils; toured the Multnomah Grange to determine needed upgrades and future use for our workshops; met with Sean Gillon from Marylhurst University to discuss his work with local food production and possible assistance with our research needs.
  • Planning/Budgeting: Presented at the TSCC FY16-17 budget hearing; our budget was approved.
  • Policies: Continued updated of performance review process and forms.
  • Program Implementation: Met with Ben Kaiser from Carbon Twelve to discuss his green development plans and use of FSC lumber; e-introduced Ben to Jim Cathcart for forestry-related follow up.
  • Boards/Committees: Host June board meeting.
  • External Engagement: Finalize and present strategic partnership agreement with the watershed councils to the board for approval.
  • Planning/Budgeting: Prep for district-wide annual work planning.
  • Policies: Continue revision of personnel policies, review of Urban Lands Plan, and update of performance review process and forms.
  • Program Implementation: Nothing planned.
  • Staff Leadership & Professional Development: Launch annual performance reviews; attend presentation training.
Program Supervision / Finance & Budget Lissa Adams
  • Lissa was out of the office this week and unable to submit a report.
Office Management Jed Arnold
  • Identified and purchased a video projection solution for the conference room.
  • Made contact with the vendor for the majority of our branded gear and worked out a solution for addressing problem items in the order. Took Delivery of ball caps and began working with new embroiderer on fine-tuning the tweaked logo design.
  • Conducted water quality sampling at multiple sites in East County with Jon.
  • Begin work on my FY 16/17 Work Plan.
  • Finish negotiations and finalize lease for the new multi-purpose printer.
  • Work with electrician and Scot to run power for new projector, mount projector to ceiling, adjust for optimal projection and setup wireless access.
Facilities Management Scot Wood
  • Scot was out of the office when this report was compiled and unable to submit updates.
Marketing & Media Alex Woolery
  • Began trial period of new online training subscription: took courses in material template best practices, color management and digital art techniques.
  • Finalized port of new outreach material templates from Illustrator to InDesign, and added in user friendly libraries and styles staff can use to quickly create materials. Reviewed materials with Angela and Chelsea.
  • Final edits to Marketing Plan based on Jay and Lissa's input. Revised several sections, implemented feedback and added to or revised some sections of the plan.
  • Minor post-Yard Tour work: website cleanup, did some basic registrant analytics and created a zip code heat map of attendees.
  • Complete InDesign version of new display panel template.
  • Present options on Conservation Legacy signage.
  • Continue research and work into EMSWCD branding and identity, and into possible marketing frameworks to utilize. Scope out survey and question details for bids on the EMSWCD marketing survey.
Information Technology Alex Woolery
  • Rewired, installed and mounted wireless router in new stairwell location.
  • The backup tape system began malfunctioning last week and is beyond cost-effective repair. Jed ordered two external drives, and I worked with Online Support to configure a temporary backup system with the drives.
  • Assisted staff with network, email, software, printer and device questions and issues.
  • Continue monitoring temporary backup system and reconfigure as needed.
  • Jed's new station should arrive; work with Online Support to install, and prepare the old station for a new life at the Headwaters office.
  • Assist staff with station, network, software, printing questions as necessary.
Program Management Julie DiLeone
  • Reviewed construction bids for culvert project.
  • Reviewed two Oregon Watershed Enhancement Board small grants.
  • Conducted site visit and assessment of a potential land legacy property.
  • Select contractor for culvert project.
  • Waiting on Multnomah County permit review for culvert project.
  • Contract for compaction testing and geotechnical oversite during culvert construction.
Rural Water Quality Aaron Guffey
  • Aaron is currently on parental leave until Mid-September.
StreamCare Lucas Nipp
  • Chelsea and I deployed 11 stream temperature sensors in the four StreamCare Watersheds.
  • Conducted three site visits with landowners interested in enrolling in the StreamCare program. I prepared proposed project maps for these landowners. I also received two signed StreamCare Cooperative Agreements from other landowners.
  • Conducted three 'exit site visits' for landowners graduating from the StreamCare program this summer. We walked the sites discussing where things were at, what they could expect moving forward and I answered questions they had. I also discussed the ODFW Riparian tax incentive program with them and provided them with a native plant ID guide that Chelsea created, a list of the plants installed on their properties, and several other EMSWCD informational materials.
  • I will conduct more 'exit site visits' for landowners graduating from the StreamCare program this summer. We will walk the sites discussing where things are at, what they can expect moving forward and I will answer any questions they have. I will also discuss the ODFW Riparian tax incentive program with them and provide them with a native plant ID guide that Chelsea created, a list of the plants installed on their properties, and several other EMSWCD informational materials.
  • I am attending a Pollinators in Parks training next week.
  • I will continue working on maps and agreements for landowners who are interested in enrolling in the StreamCare program.
  • I will be attending the Columbia Gorge CWMA Steering Committee and General Meeting as well as the 4-County CWMA's Annual Field Day.
Technical Assistance Jeremy Baker
  • Conducted two site visits. One site visit was to a livestock (sheep) operation in Portland to look at grazing and mud management. The second site visit was to landowner in Corbett to begin planning for a change in her operation and management of the farm. She is planning to bring horses on to the property.
  • Completed draft of updated Conservation Plan template.
  • Participated in Belcher property walk through to inventory potential natural resource concerns, corresponding treatments, and estimated costs associated with treatments.
  • Site visit to discuss Heavy Use Area design options for sheep owner as confinement area outside barn is located very a pond and high water can create issues in the winter.
  • Reviewing Conservation Plan template with Urban Lands planner for comments and suggestions.
  • Creating conservation plan map outlining areas of concern or recommended treatments for Rural Lands team review.
Weed Management Chris Aldassy
  • Chris was out of the office on family leave at the time of this report.
Weed Management Jon Wagner
  • I lead crews to finish garlic mustard crew work.
  • I have been finishing up garlic mustard suveys, site visits, and final control passes with Ellen and Chris.
  • Jed and I collected water quality samples and water quality Data.
  • Finish garlic mustard surveys, control and outreach.
  • Begin false brome surveys and control.
Outreach & Education Chelsea White-Brainard
  • On vacation 5/23 - 5/27.
  • Toured the Multnomah Grange as a potential venue for hosting workshops.
  • Created outreach materials for Lucas to hand out at StreamCare exit site visits.
  • Start planning for Healthy Livestock workshop for livestock owners in the agricultural water quality focus area.
  • Develop work plan for next fiscal year.
  • Meet with partners to plan booth at Far West Show.
Program Management Kathy Shearin
  • Kathy was out of the office when this report was compiled and unable to submit updates.
Technical Assistance Erik Carr
  • Working on two conservation plans leading to potential CLIP grant cost-share requests.
  • Developing content for new outreach flyers, including rain gardens and CLIP grants.
  • Attended the Greening Schoolyards working group; worked on refining the group's vision and short term action items.
  • Assisted with Naturescaped Yard Tour event.
  • Attending Urban and Community Forestry Conference and quarterly meeting of Oregon Community Trees.
  • Will participate in the initial Columbia Slough Watershed Council tech team meeting.
Outreach & Education Angela Previdelli
  • Tabled at East Portland Parkways at the Foster Floodplain Natural Area.
  • Yard Tour - day of event (success!) and lots of clean-up and data collection.
  • Drafted content for new Urban Lands outreach materials.
  • Tabling at Noche De Conexion Latina.
  • Start drafting new workplan and self-evaluation.
Outreach & Education Katie Meckes
  • Conducted initial round of host recruitment to 75 potential host groups.
  • Finalized updates to the Naturescaping and Rain Garden post-workshop surveys, and created MailChimp announcements that will be used to disseminate surveys.
  • Reviewed and provided feedback on the Annual Performance Review document.
  • Gave keynote speech at the 2015 Solve Green Team Summit on 5/19 at Gladstone Highschool.
  • Wrote content for Lawn Removal & Naturescaping outreach pamphlets as part of Urban Lands outreach materials overhaul.
  • Will process incoming requests and begin plugging workshops into fall calendar.
  • Will send out Natursecaping and Rain Garden post-workshop surveys to 2015 attendees next week after one final edit.
  • Will begin updates to work plan & job description in preparation for Annual performance review.
  • Will be attending next Greening Schoolyards meeting.
  • Will be working with Angela and Erik on final content edits and images for Urban Lands outreach pamphlets.
Program Management Andrew Brown
  • Most time in this reporting period has gone into pursuing various due diligence activities related to the ag property acquisition project.
  • Prepared for and participated in Land Legacy Committee meeting.
  • Reviewed new Grant Managers Network (GMN) cumsumer guide report on grant management systems.
  • Represented EMSWCD at the Johnson Creek Watershed Council annual celebration.
  • Pursue various due diligence activities, and management options, related to the ag acquisition property.
  • Prepare template for EMSWCD District work plan for FY 16-17.
  • Research online grant management software solutions for possible use by the Grants Program.
  • Start individual performance reviews for direct reports.
Land Legacy Rick McMonagle
  • Continued due diligence for farm acquisition project.
  • Strategized with partners re: potential ATN project; met wtih landowner.
  • Toured farm acquisition project with staff; dam inspection.
  • Continuing due diligence for farm acquisition project.
  • Touring forested property with partners.
  • Hosting Water Master for staff presentation.
Grants Suzanne Easton
  • Continued contracting process with PIC 2016 grantees.
  • Reviewing SPACE applications for June board meeting recommendations.
  • Prepared recommendation on revised Scope of Work for 2014 PIC grantee.
  • Created survey for 2016 PIC grantees.
  • Met with Equity Grantmakers group.
  • Participated in webinar on Grants Management systems.
  • Vacation May 25-June 1.
  • Meeting with Humboldt Neighborhood Association about grant possibilities.
  • Meeting with Clackamas SWCD Executive Director and Restoration staff about current grants.
  • Meeting with Metro grants staff re: general program direction and on-line application experience.
  • Continue PIC grant contracting.
Headwaters Farm Rowan Steele
  • Coordinating farm improvements, primarily earthmoving and road access for the curing shed and new propagation house.
  • Finishing up job announcement for Headwaters Farm Operations Assistant and conducting outreach.
  • Updating nutrient management worksheets and putting together a record keeping worksheet for incubator farmers.
  • Presenting an introduction to irrigation for Rogue Farm Corps, Beginning Urban Farmers Apprenticeship, and the Headwaters Incubator Program.
  • Sitting on a panel to discuss pollinator habitat development at Headwaters Farm following Xerces' film A Ghost in the Making.
  • Meeting with PGE to discuss relocation of power poles along the driveway to be in compliance with Gresham Fire Department.