Activity Report for the Period 5/1/2017 – 5/12/2017

East Multnomah Soil and Water Conservation District
Jay Udelhoven
  • External Engagement: Received the revised Year 2 project proposals from the local watershed councils for the Strategic Partnership Agreement.
  • Boards/Committees: Hosted May board meeting; reached out to fellow district managers regarding their use of associate board directors.
  • Policies/Planning/Budgeting: Completed next draft of personnel leave policy; completed initial review of draft Urban Lands 5-Year Plan; prepped for budget hearing with the Tax Supervising and Conservation Commission (TSCC).
  • Supervision/Leadership/Training: Met with staff and management team during 1x1s, team meeting, and all staff meeting; attended Connect training.
  • Program Implementation: Briefed Urban Lands staff on wetland mitigation issues, two current mitigation banks that affect our district, and a restoration opportunity related to in-lieu fee funds held by the Department of State Lands.
  • External Engagement: Participate in Lower Willamette Basin soil and water conservation districts meeting with directors and fellow managers; attend Multnomah County Farm Bureau meeting.
  • Boards/Committees: Attend Land Legacy Committee meeting.
  • Policies/Planning/Budgeting: Continue revision of personnel policies; review staff comments on position statements on policy issues; participate in TSCC budget hearing.
  • Supervision/Leadership/Training: Meet with staff and management team during 1x1s, team meeting, and all staff meeting; work with attorney to prep board and staff for depositions.
  • Program Implementation: Nothing planned.
Program Supervision / Finance & Budget Lissa Adams
  • April bank reconciliation and payroll review. Prepared budget vs. actual reports through April. Prepared for TSCC hearing on May 16th.
  • Attended Connect conference in Pendleton. There were several informative sessions on marketing and contracting as well as great networking opportunities with other districts.
  • Finalized contract with CEI for Equity Advancement. Prepared draft contract for building improvements at the Multnomah Grange in Gresham.
  • Prepare for June board meeting and budget adoption.
  • Research new equipment options for UL Workshop presentations.
Office Management Jed Arnold
  • After a lot of rearranging, reconfiguration and removal of furniture and various stored items, I was finally able to get the office meeting spaces usable as three separate meeting rooms. I have also updated the resource reservation system the district uses to allow each room to be reserved individually or as a group.
  • I helped onboard our two new employees, including assisting with some orientation of EMSWCD systems, assisting with the completion of hiring paperwork and enrolling them in benefits.
  • With the yard tour fast approaching and the growing season underway, the phone lines have been busy lately.
  • I will be reviewing VoIP quotes over the next two weeks and recommending either to proceed with one of the proposals or going back to the drawing board and soliciting bids to upgrade our current PBX system rather than replace it.
  • I will be doing some research into durable technology options to replace the very dated laptops currently in use by the Urban Lands workshop presenters.
  • Our various employee insurance benefit policies all renew in June. I will be working to enroll any dependents added during open enrollment, adjust payroll withholding amounts and various other maintenance tasks related to those renewals.
Facilities Management Scot Wood
  • The new storage platforms in the basement are completed and in use!
  • I met with the Grange contractor and got the contract and legal paperwork for the Grange project.
  • I have been working on various projects tidying up details: Finishing up the plastic on the last hoop house, helping install irrigation risers, installed a threshold underneath the curing shed roll-up door, installed "caution" signs, additional fire extinguishers in the prop houses and curing shed, and helped Rowan set 400 - 700 lbs. rocks at several points around the prop houses as protection against vehicle traffic.
  • I will be working with Jed and Alex to design an information/pamphlet display cabinet to go in the foyer to organize the different brochures and such.
  • I will be meeting with the Grange contractor and Bill Dodds (from the Grange) to go over the initial drawings for the railing And the parking spaces.
  • I will be starting the second mowing of the season if the weather will ever change!
Marketing & Media Alex Woolery
  • Yard Tour: answered questions from public, sent guide to those who didn't get a confirmation email, updated website content and worked on related event logistics and event manager settings.
  • Materials: ordered nametags, final notebook designs (which arrived just in time for Yard Tour), and a Rural Lands mailer. Worked on additional drafts of the District half-page and event display. Also worked on signage for the composting toilet at Headwaters.
  • Helped promote urban workshops and partner/grantee events.
  • Attended PNCWA's Public Communications Camp: communication strategy and planning, public relations, storytelling, graphic design, video and more. A fun and useful conference with a lot of great information for my role and some good resources, both for me and to pass on to outreach and management.
  • Worked with Suzanne on content for the new Grants brochure and discussed event display panel content as well.
  • Finalize grants brochure first draft.
  • Obtain bids for survey project.
  • Continue work on Branding and Identity guidelines.
Information Technology Lissa Adams,
Jed Arnold,
Alex Woolery
  • Jed and Lissa responded to staff IT issues and questions as needed; see notes in their individual reports above.
  • Jed and Lissa will respond to staff IT issues and questions as needed.
Program Management Julie DiLeone
  • Learned a lot at the Connect conference.
  • Reviewed the first draft of the Rural Lands Water Quality 5 year plan with Andrew.
  • Taking some time off to move into my new house.
  • Attending a presentation about the new septic system loan program.
  • Starting work on the 2nd draft of the Rural Lands Water quality plan.
  • Drafting the ODA scope of work for next fiscal year.
Rural Water Quality Aaron Guffey
  • Aaron was on vacation during this reporting period and unable to submit a report.
StreamCare Lucas Nipp
  • I attended and presented at CONNECT.
  • I completed spring spraying on StreamCare sites in all watersheds.
  • I have been making contact with landowners in Big, Smith, Beaver, and Johnson Creek regarding placing continous temperature sensors on their properties.
  • I plan to take Matt on a tour of the Rural Lands area. Also to fill him in on my work at the District and how we might interact and collaborate.
  • I will be on vacation all of next work week.
  • I will deploy continuous temperature sensors in Beaver, Johnson, Big, and Smith Creeks the week of May 22. It looks like I will deploy nine sensors.
Technical Assistance Jeremy Baker
  • Attended the Connect Training Conference. Participated in sessions focued on: habitat for beneficial bugs used for Integrated Pest Management, Soil Biology, Tribal First Foods Perspective on Government Relations, ODFW's Conservation Strategy Guide for the Web, Saving Habitat for Streaked Horned Lark. Overall it was once again a great conference.
  • Site visit to new landowner with concentrated flow erosion along a steep driveway. Will probably need a bit of engineering assistance to ensure solutions are properly sized (and located) to function properly and capture and dissipate flow and move water safely.
  • Completed a site Visit. This was the intial site visit to more thoroughly reivew the resource concerns on the property and determine where the landowners are in the process of composting.
  • Will be attending NRCS Conservation Planning Certification Webinar to review the new Planning Certication rules and requirements.
  • Held a review meeting with engineer to review preliminary designs to address drainage on the east and west roads at Headwaters farm. We need a bit more survey information and will be returnign to the site in a couple weeks to complete the survey.
  • Meeting with new Urban Lands Conservationist to discuss CLIP program and general planning guidelines and methodologies for EMSWCD.
Weed Management Chris Aldassy
  • Garlic Mustard control with Verde and Mosaic.
  • Creating short presentation to CGCWMA about our garlic mustard containment project.
  • Crews handpulling ivy on rainy days.
  • Garlic mustard control continues.
Weed Management Jon Wagner
  • I attended CONNECT.
  • Chris and I outreached and planned garlic mustard field work.
  • Chris, the crews and I finished the first pass of garlic mustard control at all control sites.
  • Chris, the crews and I will begin second passes for garlic mustard control at all control sites.
  • Jeremy and I will collect monthly water quality samples and conduct the monthy wildlife survey at headwaters.
  • I will meet with Chelsea to finish a rough draft for "the State of Beaver Creek" document.
Outreach & Education Chelsea White-Brainard
  • Attended CONNECT conference. Presented on the nursery grower study and Erosion Solutions campaign.
  • Attended the Communicator's Conference, presented by Public Relations Society of America, Oregon Chapter.
  • Designed draft layout for 'Beaver Creek, the Watershed Beneath Your Feet' water quality mailer.
  • Send Erosion Solutions mailer to nursery growers. Add Erosion Solutions page to EMSWCD website.
  • Design Livestock mailer for Agricultural Water Quality Focus Area.
  • Present draft of 'Beaver Creek, the Watershed Beneath Your Feet' water quality mailer at Beaver Creek Partnership meeting.
Program Management Kathy Shearin
  • Kathy attended EMSWCD Board and budget committee meetings.
  • Kathy attended CONNECT conference.
  • Kathy met with the Mt Hood Community College Retrofit projects primary funders meeting where the team selected firms that would come back to the group for a final selection interview.
  • Kathy, Jay and Whitney met to discuss Mitigation projects.
  • Kathy has been asked to sit on a City Club panel discussing 'Community Approaches to Urban Water Conservation' The panel will be held May 25th at a location TBD.
  • Kathy has been asked to sit on a temporary advisory committee to guide the development of the Earth Advantage urban infill site certification standard that will address demolition impacts (watershed protection, soils, and landscape preservation or remediation).
Technical Assistance Whitney Bailey
  • Attended CONNECT conference, gained familiarity with local programs and resources, and met colleagues from around the region.
  • Attended UERC presentation: Monitoring the effectiveness of green stormwater infrastructure.
  • Responded to three inquiries about habitat improvement and stormwater management.
  • Meeting in a couple weeks with Columbia Slough Watershed Council to discuss funding opportunities for wetland mitigation banking.
  • Working to respond to backlog of landowner inquiries and schedule site visits.
Outreach & Education Angela Previdelli
  • Attended CONNECT. I helped to organize several of the speakers and provided support during the event.
  • Naturescaped Yard Tour: Assembled and delivered host boxes with all the materials that hosts and volunteers will need for the day of the event on May 13th.
  • Final coordination with 50 volunteers registered to help during the Naturescaped Yard Tour day of event.
  • YARD TOUR! On May 13th.
  • Post-event wrap-up and cleaning.
Outreach & Education Katie Meckes
  • Attended Connect 2017 Conference. Great sessions! Connected with great people!
  • Attended a meeting with Sandy River Basin Watershed Council to introduce Mt. Hood Community College Science Division staff to the stormwater retrofit project coming up. They were *very* interested in the project itself.
  • Yard Tour logistics and preparations, replied to many participant questions, registration needs, etc.
  • Updated all fall workshop scheduling documents, calendars and host contact spreadsheets. Posted list of available fall workshop dates to Host a Workshop page of website.
  • Meet with Mt. Hood Community College Science Division staff on May 19th to have a more in-depth conversation and brainstorm about how to engage students in the stormwater retrofit project.
  • Tend to final Yard Tour needs and host a successful event on May 13th.
  • Begin recruiting community hosts for fall workshops.
Program Management Andrew Brown
  • With board approval of acquisition, follow up on ag property acquisition project. Undertook orientation and briefing of new Land Legacy Program Manager.
  • Assisted grants manager with contracting of 2017 PIC grants.
  • Complied draft work plan for strategic planning process in the new financial year. Reviewed and commented on draft rural water quality program 5-year plan.
  • Attended CONNECT conference.
  • Work with Land Legacy Program manager on developing program plan. Pursue closing arrangements for acquisition project.
  • Assist Grants manager with 2017 PIC contracting, and online grants system set-up.
  • Continue with preparations and data needs for strategic planning. Work on EMSWCD climate change response plan, and Headwaters 5-year plan.
Grants Suzanne Easton
  • Continue to complete Funding Agreements with new PIC grantees.
  • Met with David Porter at Leach Botanical Gardens. Toured garden and talked about possible future grant project related to expansion in progress.
  • Attended Non-profit Association of Oregon session on Leading for Equity, Funders Perspective.
  • Met with Alex - making progress on grants brochure.
  • Met with Equity Team to go over CEI contract and preparation for training.
  • Met with Vance Park garden partners to discuss plans for summer and project extension.
  • Sent out invitation for Environmental Education Grantees Convening.
  • Continue to complete Funding Agreements with new PIC grantees.
  • Serve on CWSP grant review committee.
  • Host Equity Grantmakers group at EMSWCD.
  • Meet with Human Access to review PIC decline and possibilities for next year.
  • Process new SPACE grants.
Land Legacy Matt Shipkey
  • Attended CONNECT Conference. Networked with District & Land Trust Staff.
  • Deep dive into relevant background/foundational documents and materials.
  • Developed rough draft of Farmland Program goal statement and techniques document.
  • Priority landowner outreach/meetings.
  • Continued orientation, including field visits, key stakeholder meetings and land use regulations training/study.
  • Further refinement of Farmland Program foundational documents, including prioritization, policies, procedures and templates.
Headwaters Farm Rowan Steele
  • Installed plastic over the third and final hoophouse.
  • Offered a nutrient management workshop with an emphasis on macronutrients and amendment types and amounts for various local beginning farmer programs.
  • Trained new incubator farmers on the BCS and other equipment.
  • Providing tour of Headwaters Farm to TSCC budget Commissioners.
  • Meeting with Growing Gardens to provide a tour and overview of the Headwaters Incubator Program and discuss possible synergies.
  • Beginning the process of realigning the road through the Dianna Pope Natural Area.
Headwaters Farm Stuart Moeller
  • Finished the new irrigation system to the hoophouses.
  • Pulled plastic and put finishing touches on the third hoophouse.
  • Conducted weed management around beetle bank and other facilities.
  • Extensive weed management around Headwaters Farm.
  • Minor repairs to water system.
  • Covering newly applied spray foam in the curing shed with an opaque, protective fabric.