Activity Report for the Period 4/30/2018 – 5/11/2018

East Multnomah Soil and Water Conservation District
Jay Udelhoven
  • External Engagement: Met with Ben Duncan, Multnomah County’s Chief Diversity and Equity Officer, for a meet-and-greet; met with Wesley Clark, local conservation consultant and real estate broker, for a check-in; met with land trust community representatives to discuss property tax issue related to farm and forest land protection activities; met with Lower Willamette Basin SWCD’s to discuss ODFW’s implementation of the Riparian Lands Tax Incentive Program and the Wildlife Habitat Tax Incentive Program.
  • Boards/Committees: Met with Board Director Till to discuss future Board meeting topics; prepared for and hosted May Board and Budget Committee meetings.
  • Policies/Planning/Budgeting: Developed draft Roles & Responsibilities chart for EMSWCD vehicles; revised draft of Roles & Responsibilities chart for marketing and outreach.
  • Supervision/Leadership: Met with staff 1x1, F&O team, and management team.
  • Program Implementation: Revised StreamCare Agreement with input from staff and counsel; reviewed leasing term sheet for new property; developed draft prioritization process for marketing.
  • External Engagement: Host watershed councils for a Strategic Partnership (SPA) meeting to discuss Year 3, 4, and 5 projects, and to sign the SPA amendment; participate in Oregon Agriculture Heritage Commission meeting; plan for and participate in collaboration meeting of the Lower Willamette Basin SWCDs; possibly attend Pleasant Valley Homeowner’s Association meeting; possibly attend Multnomah County Farm Bureau meeting.
  • Boards/Committees: Participate in the Land Legacy Committee meeting.
  • Policies/Planning/Budgeting: Plan for and present at the Tax Supervising and Conservation Committee FY18-19 Budget Hearing; continue work on new set of personnel policies.
  • Supervision/Leadership: Meet with staff 1x1, F&O team, and management team.
  • Program Implementation: Nothing planned.
Program Supervision / Finance & Budget Lissa Adams
  • Lissa was out of office for most of this period and unable to submit a report.
Office Management Lindsay Nelson
  • I processed bills/invoices to be paid and sent out checks to various vendors. Continued to send out Job Announcements and posted to Indeed, Mac's List, and Craigslist.
  • Created Board of Directors & Budget Committee meeting packets for May. Printed, labeled and sent packet to Dianna Pope. Ordered food, prep, set up, tear down, and record minutes for the May Board of Directors meeting. Started the Board of Directors meeting minutes.
  • Attended 3 day CEI Reframing Racism workshop.
  • Spent some time reading through my work plan and made changes as needed.
  • Look into becoming a notary.
  • I will continue to work on the Board meeting minutes.
  • I will continue to manage the posted job, applications and distribution.
Facilities Management Scot Wood
  • The camera (and its solar panel) for the front porch came in and is installed. Works fairly well!
  • I've been building yet more tables for the new wash station at Headwaters.
  • The arbor vitae that were left on the new property have been finally removed by two nurseries that had purchased them.
  • I'll be installing window locks on those windows upstairs that do not have them as well as putting coat hooks in the bathrooms without them.
  • Rowan and I will be running the water line for the new upper wash station as we had to order some parts not readily available in the local area.
  • Rowan, Stuart and I will be working on some of the fields to get them ready for cover crop.
Marketing & Media Alex Woolery
  • Materials and media: finalized Farmland Protection brochure and sent to print. Follow-up and billing on various materials and advertisements. Follow-up on new property/Headwaters article, just published in Tribune. Answered several emails and calls from public and directed to staff as appropriate.
  • Website: Board, Budget and Committee support with Lindsay and Lissa, worked with staff to edit and publish two new front page posts. New Manure Connection and Conservation Directory listings, updates to existing ones.
  • Promoted Yard Tour, workshops, partner events, grantees, Native Plant month, new posts, articles, etc.
  • Final preparations for Yard Tour.
  • I will review and give input on Marketing & Outreach roles, Marketing Work request documents. I will also review edits and feedback on the Branding Guide.
  • PIC grants press release, SPACE grants transition prep.
  • Work on Land Legacy website updates.
  • Visit, participate in and document both Yard Tour and MHCC Depave event.
Information Technology Lissa Adams,
Lindsay Nelson,
Alex Woolery
  • Lindsay, Alex and Lissa responded to staff IT issues and questions as needed; see notes in their individual reports above.
  • Alex helped staff with IT issues, including station performance, storage space questions on various stations. Investigated T drive storage.
  • Lindsay, Alex and Lissa will respond to staff IT issues and questions as needed.
Program Management Julie DiLeone
  • Finishing up irrigation presentation for the workshop at the Columbia Grange on May 15th.
  • Finalized our portions of the agreements with State Parks and USFS for weed control in the Eagle Creek Fire area. Now we're waiting on their approval and signatures.
  • Irrigation workshop.
  • Sandy River Basin Partners meeting.
  • Figuring out the OWEB small grant re-imbursement process with Jeremy.
Rural Water Quality Aaron Guffey
  • Met with nursery managers to discuss the 30% design for an Erosion Solutions project.
  • Presented a proposed CLIP and Erosion Solutions pilot project to the board.
  • Watched "Hidden Figures" and the equity video shared by Rick Till.
  • Communicated with the Mt Hood Chapter board regarding a proposed summer golfing event at McMinnamins Edgefield.
  • Assisted the Oregon Association of Nurseries in finding a presenter for an irrigation presentation at the Farwest Show.
  • Work with engineering consultants and Clackamas SWCD to create Erosion Solutions designs for two nurseries.
  • Complete a CLIP application for an Erosion Solutions pilot project to be brought to the board at the June board meeting.
  • Engage in the diversity, equity, and inclusion process EMSWCD staff are participating in.
  • Attend all Oregon Association of Nurseries Mt Hood Chapter meetings and events. Fulfill the responsibilities of treasurer on the Mt Hood Chapter board.
  • Connect with partners to explore opportunities for developing better solutions regarding cover crop useage on nurseries.
StreamCare Lucas Nipp
  • I went out with Chris to do a day of garlic mustard control in the closed "burn area" in the Columbia Gorge. The garlic mustard was unfortunately mostly spared by the fire in the areas we went.
  • Julie and I attended a Sandy River Delta Partners Meeting, which was intended to increase communication between groups with interest in the Delta and in working towards further coordination, shared messaging and goals. US Forest Service employees gave history of the restoration and recreation efforts since acquisition, and all of the partners gave short presentations on their efforts and interests in the site.
  • I have been working on the hiring committee for both the Western Invasives Network (WIN) and the Columbia Gorge Cooperative Weed Management Area. We have an arrangement for the WIN and will be meeting next week with a candidate. The other is in the early stages.
  • I have a few StreamCare site visits lined up for next week.
  • I will be continuing to work on hiring committees with both the Western Invasives Network and the Columbia Gorge Cooperative Weed Management Areas to work towards finding a new coordinator for each.
  • I will be assisting Jon in water quality sampling in Beaver and Johnson Creeks.
Technical Assistance Jeremy Baker
  • Assisted Land Legacy with tour of potential land acquisition opportunity for input on potential management needs and costs associated with changes.
  • Completed a site visit to current CLIP project recipient to review and document installtion of equipment.
  • Provided project technial and logistical support to Multnomah County CROPS farm for new irrigation system they are looking to purchase and install.
  • Processing project completion documentation for an OWEB grant focused on irrigation system enhancements on a nursery (convert from sprinkler to micro-spray on can yard).
  • Attended Oregon Conservation Partnership monthly meeting (with COLT, NOWC, OACD).
  • Creating powerpoint presentations for two upcoming irrigation efficiency workshops. The first of these is intended for landowners in Corbett and will be held at the Columbia Grange. The second and slightly more in-depth workshop will be for HIP Farmers at Headwaters in coordination with NRCS and Rogue Farm Corps.
Weed Management Chris Aldassy
  • Working on the garlic mustard containment project.
  • Working on the garlic mustard containment project.
Weed Management Jon Wagner
  • Chris and I have been working with crews on the second pass of control work at all garlic mustard control sites.
  • Chris and I will work with crews to begin the second pass of spray control at all garlic mustard control sites. We will also continue burn area weed surveys.
  • Lucas and I will collect monthly water quality and wildlife surveys at Johnson and Beaver Creeks.
  • I will make final edits to the Dianna Pope Natural Area interprative sign. I will begin work on new outreach campaign. I will make final edits to the water quality sampling assessment procedures for Johnson and Beaver Creeks. I will outreach garlic mustard landowners.
Outreach & Education Chelsea White-Brainard
  • Promoted irrigation efficiency workshop via email, social media, and community calendars. Workshop will be held at the Columbia Grange on May 15th, with Julie and Jeremy presenting.
  • Attended Equity follow up session #8 with CEI (Center for Equity and Inclusion).
  • Researched sign companies and collected quotes for DPNA (Dianna Pope Natural Area) interpretive sign.
  • Finalize Rural Lands CLIP brochure and get it printed.
  • Continue StreamCare outreach to priority landowners.
  • Finish organizing the Rural Lands outreach section of the basement.
Program Management Kathy Shearin
  • Attended MHCC Stakeholders committee.
  • Finalizing RFP for construction, preparing for Depave kick-off event on May 19th
  • Reviewing draft Grant Butte Site Conservation Plan. Reviewing Gresham's new Stormwater Management Plan.
  • Present Urban Weeds workshop at Woodstock Community Center.
  • Reviewing edits to Naturescaping workbook before doing a re-print.
  • Attend Solve Pest Problems Steering Committee meeting.
Technical Assistance Whitney Bailey
  • Published Nature Notes 3.
  • Caught up on Technical Assistance: over 20 individual requests since the last bi-weekly report.
  • Attended Gabbert Butte SAC meeting.
  • IJC meeting.
  • More Technical Assistance: plants, stormwater planters, SPACE grant applicants, rain gardens, greywater, and invasives.
Outreach & Education Angela Previdelli
  • Preparation for Yard Tour.
  • Volunteer coordination.
  • Coordinating materials, supplies and deliveries to Yard Tour locations.
  • Yard Tour is this Saturday, May 12th!
Outreach & Education Katie Meckes
  • Working on a draft plan to help track MHCC Salmon Safe Projects outreach needs.
  • Met with Frank Granshaw to continue work on virtual sustainability tour of the EMSWCD demonstration garden. Met with OMSI education team to help brainstorm interactive educational display ideas.
  • Attended May 2nd training: Recruiting and Retaining a Multicultural Workforce
  • Yard Tour assistance and preparations: website updates, promotion via email blast registration management, supply preparations, registration management, and final yard tour reminder and details email preparation.
  • Attended Grant Butte partnership & development meeting on May 9th.
Outreach & Education Josie Moberg
  • Josie was out of office for most of this period and unable to submit a report.
Program Management Andrew Brown
  • Andrew was on vacation during this reporting period and unable to submit a report.
Grants Suzanne Easton
  • Continued to work on PIC 2018 Funding Agreements.
  • Attended Intertwine Greening Schoolyards meeting and Friends of Trees leadership awards event.
  • Enrolled SPACE program up for ZoomGrants and worked on calendar for set-up and launch.
  • Continue work on PIC 2018 Funding Agreements.
  • Reviewing applications and participating in grant review meeting for City Conservation Watershed Stewardship Program.
  • Attend Depave event on May 19 at MHCC.
  • On vacation from May 22nd through June 1st.
Land Legacy Matt Shipkey
  • Farmland protection brochure completed.
  • Advanced Oxbow offer consideration.
  • Due diligence in progress on new transaction.
  • Working farmland easement template drafting substantially advanced.
  • Nursery stock sold and removed from new farm property.
  • Prepare for and staff Land Legacy Committee meeting.
  • Advance Oxbow offer consideration.
  • Finalize draft of working farmland easement template for review.
  • New transaction due diligence advancing.
  • Advance COLT membership "compliance" development.
Headwaters Farm Rowan Steele
  • Offered a soil health training to first-year incubator farmers, Rogue Farm Corps participants, and Bridge City Farm School growers.
  • Presented pollinator habitat development at the Oregon Bee Project workshop as part of highlighting Headwaters as a Flagship Farm.
  • At Headwaters Farm: helped install trellis wires in the hoophouses, offered tillage to incubator farms, removed remaining large arborvitaes from new property, took the farm truck in for service, oversaw the build-out of the new wash station, and facilitated the install of outlets for the weather station.
  • Presenting on Portland State University panel for land access and then providing a tour of Headwaters Farm to guest speakers.
  • Talking soil samples, prepping the site, and sowing cover crop at the new property.
  • Offering an irrigation training to beginning farmers.
Headwaters Farm Stuart Moeller
  • Mowing fields and hand weeding pollinator habitat and around facilities.
  • Installed 15ft x 300ft roll of weed fabric for future pollinator habitat expansion.
  • Installed weed fabric around valve box and as buffers inside the new hoophouse.
  • Mowing and general weed management.
  • Prepping new property for cover crop and sowing that seed.
  • Supporting plumbing of the new wash station.