Activity Report for the Period 4/29/2019 – 5/10/2019

East Multnomah Soil and Water Conservation District
Jay Udelhoven
  • External Engagement: Met with watershed councils for SPA coordination; collated information regarding salary scales on DM Forum.
  • Boards/Committees: Hosted board meeting; attended Budget Committee meeting; met with Directors Hensey and Till.
  • Policies/Planning/Budgeting: Began review of draft strategic plan ; reviewed EMSWCD boundary issue along Willamette River and communicated with Multnomah County Tax Assessor and ED of WMSWCD about resolution; developed draft of Policy 1.1.8: Time Off/Leave Time and reviewed with staff.
  • Supervision/Leadership: Met with staff (1x1) and management team; discussed equity planning with Equity Team.
  • Program Implementation: Reviewed StreamCare site protection options; assessed virtue of land acquisition near Headwaters farm; evaluated options for helping to improve Multnomah Grange for our use.
  • External Engagement: Attend Farm Bureau meeting; possibly attend Multnomah Grange meeting.
  • Boards/Committees: Board Equity work session; LLC meeting.
  • Policies/Planning/Budgeting: Present at TSCC budget hearing; continue work on personnel policies.
  • Supervision/Leadership: Meet with staff (1x1) and management team.
  • Program Implementation: Meet with NAYA and partners regarding potential demonstration project; meet with Urban Lands staff to discuss engagement on industrial sites in coordination with BES; continue assessment of land acquisition near Headwaters farm.
Program Supervision / Finance & Budget Dan Mitten
  • Submitted OSGP retirement plan contributions for month of April. Worked with bookkeeper on post-payroll process and documentation.
  • Attended: timesheet/payroll review meeting, management team meeting, meeting regarding Multnomah Grange heater options, Equity Team meeting.
  • Prepared 3rd Quarter F&O Progress presentation for the Board of Directors Meeting held on May 6.
  • Attended Budget Committee Meeting #3 on May 6th and presented draft budget with program staff and ED. Presented resolution to approve the budget and set the tax limit. Attended Board Meeting and presented Financial Reports and 3rd Quarter 18-19 F&O Progress Report.
  • Continued review of Fiscal Policies and Procedures. Will be in progress for a while longer.
  • Began reviewing professional services contracts, public contracting types, templates, and use-case scenarios for each. Began review of Draft Strategic Plan.
  • Will research to determine where our contracts may be insufficient, where they can be improved upon, and use-case scenarios.
  • Review and recommend changes to Public Records Policy in compliance with SDAO Best Practice Program. Review and make recommendations on the previously drafted Investment Policy.
  • Will begin process for developing EMSWCD Fleet Vehicle Policy & Procedure, including E-V usage.
  • Review and submit comments in regards to Time Off/Leave policy to Executive Director by May 17th.
  • Will work with Operations Manager on two workplan items: a schedule of community meetings and events for engagement purposes, and a contact list of the elected officials representing EMSWCD.
Office Management Lindsay Nelson
  • Daily and weekly operational duties: handling incoming and outgoing mail, processing invoices, sending out payments, IT support; answering phone calls, responding to emails, interacting with the public, and ordering supplies.
  • Set up, recorded, and took minutes for the Budget Committee and Board of Directors meeting for May.
  • Completed open enrollment for benefits.
  • Budget and Board meeting minutes.
  • Internal Equity assignments.
Facilities Management Scot Wood
  • I met with a contractor to go over the front step needs and the EV charging station needs at the office. I met with Jay and Dan to discuss the next steps for the heater at the grange. I met with Matt and Andrew to discuss next steps for the water heater at the Sturm Property.
  • I solicited quotes from two more excavation contractors for the excavation work around the farm. I tracked down and ordered parts for the big flail mower. The big tractor is down and I have started the ball rolling on getting it fixed as well as the out of commission BCS tiller.
  • Hopefully I will be getting the quote for the concrete needs and can start making plans to move forward with those projects.
  • I hopefully will be meeting with both excavation contractors onsite to show them our stormwater and equipment shed site needs.
Marketing & Media Alex Woolery
  • Open House: materials draft creation and edits, social media outreach, coordination, material review and logistics with Monica.
  • Worked on draft versions of the new Lawn Removal brochure and reviewed with Katie and Kathy.
  • Met with Katie and Kathy to review the Naturescaping Workbook project, go over needs and current status of the materials, and set up a timeline to update and print it.
  • Helped various staff with software, network, hardware and email issues.
  • Continue developing materials for Open House and assisting with necessary with outreach, material management, printing and logistics.
  • Continue developing and deliver a final draft of the Lawn Removal brochure. Develop template edits for the entire half-page brochure series and review with staff.
  • Encourage staff to continue biking in the Bike More Challenge. Take part on the 10th after work in an inter-agency bike celebration during the Bike More Challenge.
Program Management Julie DiLeone
  • Presentation about soil health to the Columbian Garden Club in Corbett.
  • Attended Gabe Sheoships' presentation, Decolonizing Sustainability: Indigenous resilience, traditional knowledge systems, and values.
  • Training on the new software for the weather station and soil water probes.
  • Sandy River Basin Partners meeting. Topics include genetic testing of fish, the Heat Source model, and fish passage in Beaver Creek.
  • Sandy Watershed Council meeting.
  • CLIP team meeting.
Rural Water Quality Aaron Guffey
  • Researched field supply needs.
  • Attended a partner meeting to discuss the develepment of strategies to promote cover crop adoption/optimalization on nurseries. The focus of the meeting was to discuss Chelsea's role in creating cover crop videos.
  • Inspected an irrigation efficiency project that was installed and submitted documentation for CLIP reimbursement.
  • Engage in the diversity, equity, and inclusion process EMSWCD staff are participating in.
  • Attend all Oregon Association of Nurseries Mt Hood Chapter meetings and events. Fulfill the responsibilities of treasurer on the Mt Hood Chapter board.
  • Connect with partners to develop strategies to promote cover crop adoption/optimalization on nurseries.
  • Monitor CLIP projects I have managed.
  • Work with a nursery to install an approved CLIP access road project. Assist the same nursery with irrigation efficiency.
  • Work with a nursery to implement conservation practices on the property.
StreamCare Lucas Nipp
  • I attended a tour held by West Multnomah SWCD to look at some forest management sites that they are working on and discuss how a Forest Stewards Guild project called Foresters for the Birds could help with forest conservation on private, non-industrial forests.
  • I presented about StreamCare in Beaver Creek at the Beaver Creek Brunch held at the Skyland Pub in Troutdale.
  • I helped Chris with a day of garlic mustard control.
  • I am finalizing some spatial data to send to a partner to have them run the data through DEQ's Heat Source model to predict the effect of StreamCare work in Johnson Creek on shading the stream.
  • Chelsea and I are going to be conducting door to door Outreach in support of enrolling landowners in the StreamCare Program in Big and Smith Creek.
  • I will be attending a climate change vulnerability assessment workshop for the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area, and Mt. Hood and Willamette National Forests.
Technical Assistance Jeremy Baker
  • My work to assist in the 2019 Connect Conterence is complete. This years conference provided over 72 hours of training to 301 attendees. Training tracks were broken in to six categories and focused on Education/Outreach, Managers/Admin, WIldfire, Technology, Vegetation, and Water for a total of 59 individual sessions.
  • Site visits to two new landowners.
  • Set up CLIP team meeting agenda.
  • Currently working on 3 site visit reports for landowners requesting technical assistance.
Weed Management Chris Aldassy
  • Garlic mustard control continues with crews and applicating on smaller sites.
  • Assisted with the roadside vector control of garlic mustard along the Historic Columbia River Highway.
  • Garlic Mustard control continues.
  • Taking ODA biocontrol entomologist on a site tour of potential release sites for insects targeting garlic mustard and knotweed.
Weed Management Jon Wagner
  • I worked with Chris and contract crews to complete first and second passes at garlic mustard sites.
  • I will work with Chris and contract crews to complete second passes of garlic mustard surveys and control at all sites.
  • Chelsea and I will conduct monthly water quality sampling and wildlife surveys.
Outreach & Education Chelsea White-Brainard
  • Events: sent promotional mailer and email about our May 21st Spring Livestock workshop at the Columbia Grange. Jeremy Baker and Kim Galland will present.
  • Equity: Created and circulated survey of board around DEI training and activities. Updated the board on Equity Team activities at the May 6th board meeting. Met with Ping Khaw from Community Engagement Liaison Services. Began putting together a process and timeline for community engagement on the EMSWCD Equity Plan. Worked with board and Equity Team to develop an agenda for the May 17th board DEI retreat. Held a joint Management/Equity Team meeting.
  • Projects: Sent a StreamCare outreach mailer to landowners that live along Smith and Big Creeks, which is where Lucas and I will focus our outreach this year. Began filming Chris and Jon for a garlic mustard video.
  • Events: staff booth about pollinators at the Columbia Grange Plant Share.
  • Equity: continue working on the Equity Plan, communicating progress with staff and board.
  • Projects: begin door-to-door outreach for StreamCare with Lucas.
Program Management Kathy Shearin
  • EMSWCD Board meeting.
  • Equity Team meeting.
  • 1x1 meetings with Monica and Whitney.
  • Prepping landscape for Open House.
  • Working on Naturescaping workbook edits and new lawn removal hand-out.
  • SolvePest problems Steering committee meeting. Meet with MHCC Steering committee. EMSWCD Board meeting.
  • Policy discussion.
Technical Assistance Whitney Bailey
  • Researched green roof refurbishment/maintenance needs for office ecoroofs.
  • Provided technical Assistance on rain gardens, propagating native shrubs from cuttings, container gardening workshops, and a potential SPACE applicant.
  • Researched guidelines on low-income multifamily housing complexes eligibility for CLIP.
  • Prep for CLIP team meeting on May 14th.
Outreach & Education Monica McAllister
  • Attended: the Intertwine Summit, Leaven's Community Movie Night "Priced Out" Documentary on Gentrification, East County Caring Community meeting, Portsmouth Neighborhood Association meeting.
  • Attended and connected with community at New Columbia's Village Market Celebration , market, garden, and youth programs. Helped build garden beds with Master Gardeners and June Delta Key Sorority.
  • Meeting with Ping Khaw consulting about engaging Community Engagement Liaison services to inform our work on our Equity Plan. Meeting with Maiyee from APANO about Jade Greening Project.
  • Worked on Outreach and material development for Open House and Garden Event.
  • Equity and Management Team Meeting May 7th. Research on how to create an authentic Indigenous Land Acknowledgement statement. Started to read Braiding Sweet Grass as part of personal equity journey. Worked with Brandi on culturally responsive workshop framework with community partners.
  • Attending Boise, Cully, and Vernon Neighborhood Association Meetings to learn more about what is happening in these neighborhoods and invite them to our Open House and Garden Event. Attending Jade Community Gardening Party and NAYA's Spring Market Place Event.
  • Taking part in interview panel for our internship position.
  • Open House and Garden Event. Canvassing to promote event.
  • Learning more and co-creation of Indigenous Land Acknowledgement Statement with NAYA Wisdom, and/or first nation tribes who have been and continue to be present in the area our district emcompasses. Continue work on culturally responsive workshops with Brandi and community partners.
Outreach & Education Katie Meckes
  • Internship Interview Preparations: Scheduled 7 interviews. Drafted interview questions and sent to team for review and feedback.
  • Reviewed drafts of Lawn Removal handout, provided additional feedback and edit suggestions.
  • Gave a Naturescaping for Water Conservation and Wildlife Habitat presentation and tour of Conservation Corner to an Americorps group from Sabin CDC on May 9th.
  • Followed up with Dane from Williams Vancouver Business Association (WVBA) who stopped in last week to encourage us to join. WVBA is an all-volunteer organization. A notable benefit is being an official stop on "Walk Williams" events which run the 2nd Wednesdays from June - October. Great chance to engage new constituents and increase engagement as per Conservation Corner outreach plan.
  • Made final revisions to stormwater chapter of Naturescaping Workbook, submitted to Kathy for any final edits. Met with Kathy and Alex to discuss edits to entire workbook. Developed an updated revision and reprint schedule so that new workbooks can be finished in time for fall workshops. Yay!
  • Prepare training binders for incoming intern.
  • Prepare FY19/20 presentercontracts.
  • Prepare for transfer of information to Brandi.
Outreach & Education Brandi Boersma
  • Ongoing workshop registration management and communication with workshop hosts. Worked with Alex on evaluation results and demographics tracking document for each workshop season.
  • Open House Post Card finalized and began Outreach via businesses and social media.
  • Worked with Katie on a proposal for photo waivers to Management team.
  • Attended June Key Delta Community Center's community garden building work day. Attended Katie's Sabin CDC AmeriCorps Tour.
  • Met with Johnson Creek Watershed Council to debrief on our Spanish Pollinators Workshop.
  • Working with new partners for potential fall workshops that are bilingual and/or culturally-responsive. Worked with Monica on documentation and steps, goals, and processes for bilingual and/or culturally-responsive workshops.
  • Intern interviews.
  • Meetings: Sabin Neighborhood Association meeting, Elliot Neighborhood Association meeting.
  • Open House outreach via social media, businesses, and direct neighborhood canvassing.
  • EMSWCD email list subscription management.
Program Management Andrew Brown
  • Completed first complete draft of the EMSWCD strategic plan for internal discussion.
  • Worked on the Headwaters solar installation specifications, and related grant application. Presented electric vehicle and solar projects to the May Board meeting.
  • Assisted Matt with various Land legacy tasks, including preparing for the LLC meeting, and installing boundary marker signage for the Oxbow easement.
  • Work on refining the EMSWCD strategic plan internally.
  • Assist Rowan with contracting for the end of year construction projects at Headwaters, and assist Matt with various Land Legacy projects and preparations for the May Land Legacy Committee meeting.
  • Pursue Headwaters solar installation options and quotes, and work on the associated grant application.
Grants Suzanne Easton
  • Attended Intertwine Summit, Growing Gardens brunch event.
  • Prepared summary document for and attended SPA quarterly meeting.
  • SPACE: Processed three new applications/awards, attended garden build at June Key Delta Center.
  • PIC 2019: Completed four contracts, eight more to complete by June 1.
  • Equity Team: prepared for and attended meeting.
  • PIC 2019: Continue to work on contracts.
  • Participate in Community Watershed Stewardship Committee grant review with the City.
  • Assist in preparations for DEI Board equity session and attend.
Land Legacy Matt Shipkey
  • Advanced consideration of several land conservation opportunities.
  • Oxbow transaction press release, assessment of Ag Census and related PR.
  • Substantially advanced Metro consideration of working farmland protection funding.
  • Prepared assessment of Gordon Creek disposition options.
  • Prepared for May LLC meeting.
  • Finalize prep for May LLC meeting.
  • Advance Land Camp presentation.
  • Continue to advance Metro consideration of working farmland protection funding.
  • Advance land conservation opportunities.
Headwaters Farm Rowan Steele
  • Taught class on soil health and nutrient management.
  • Worked with Chelsea and a local videographer to conduct interview of a HIP graduate and captured B-roll form around the farm.
  • Provided tour of Headwaters Farm to an engaged Clackamas Community College’s Organic Farming class.
  • Completing the first draft of the Headwaters Food Safety Plan.
  • Getting a contractor lined up for the various earthmoving projects at Headwaters Farm.
  • Moving the permits for the equipment shed along and supporting on the solar panel effort.
Headwaters Farm Stuart Moeller
  • Mowing and weed management across the farm, including removing thistle from the hedgerows.
  • Troubleshooting irrigation leaks and coordinating repairs to risers.
  • Was trained to operate the a new 9 ft. disk on the TN75 New Holland tractorand used it to incorporate cover crop for a number of farmers.
  • More mowing and tractor time projects.
  • Assisting in the repair of the large Rears flail mower.
  • Closing the hole on the outer poly of the upper prophouse to remedy its ability to hold air.