Activity Report for the Period 4/16/2018 – 4/27/2018

East Multnomah Soil and Water Conservation District
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
ACTIVITIES
Jay Udelhoven
Completed:
  • External Engagement: Met with Koffi Dessou, the City of Portland’s Director of Equity and Human Rights, for a meet-and-greet.
  • Boards/Committees: Met with Board Director Hensey to discuss strategic planning and equity; prepared for May Board meeting.
  • Policies/Planning/Budgeting: Developed draft of vehicle responsibilities policy.
  • Supervision/Leadership: Attended CONNECT training; reviewed HR/performance evaluation software options; met with staff 1x1 and management team.
  • Program Implementation: Attended Oregon Agricultural Heritage Program meeting to discuss agricultural easement criteria; met with CLIP, SPACE, and Land Legacy teams to discuss pending projects.
Planned:
  • External Engagement: Meet with Ben Duncan, Multnomah County’s Chief Diversity and Equity Officer, for a meet-and-greet; meet with Wesley Clark, local conservation consultant and real estate broker, for a check-in; host watershed councils for a Strategic Partnership (SPA) meeting to discuss Year 3, 4, and 5 projects, and to sign the SPA amendment.
  • Boards/Committees: Meet with Board Director Till to discuss future Board meeting topics; prepare for and host May Board and Budget Committee meetings.
  • Policies/Planning/Budgeting: Continue work on new set of personnel policies.
  • Supervision/Leadership: Met with staff 1x1 and management team.
  • Program Implementation: Nothing planned.
FINANCE & OPERATIONS
ACTIVITIES
Program Supervision / Finance & Budget Lissa Adams
Completed:
  • Lissa was out of office and unable to submit a report.
Office Management Lindsay Nelson
Completed:
  • Set up & attended two separate webinars on Hr Performance Software
  • Continued to send out Job Announcement and research costs to post ads.
  • Updated my work plan.
  • Spent some time investigating staff member's retirement plan. Spent some time learning and practicing adding events to the website.
  • I processed bills/invoices to be paid.
  • Helped Aaron learn how to connect his laptop to the projector.
Planned:
  • Looking into becoming a notary.
Facilities Management Scot Wood
Completed:
  • I've just been doing routine maintenance and waiting on the front porch camera to arrive.
  • I've been installing an overhead trellis in the hoop houses for the farmers to trellis their tomatoes as well as working on the infrastructure at the new wash station.
  • Nothing much is happening on the new property for now.
Planned:
  • Hopefully I will be installing the new 2 way audio camera on the front porch.
  • I hope to finish up both the trellis system and the wash station infrastructure at Headwaters.
Marketing & Media Alex Woolery
Completed:
  • Assisted Katie and Angela with preparations for upcoming Yard Tour: edited 50 photos for web, created and formatted a new gallery page, website updates, email imagery, etc.
  • Continued coordination of print material creation and mailing, related follow-up on quotes and billing. Further revisions to Farmland Protection brochure.
  • Follow-up on a recent interview for an article. Another article on hedgerows I coordinated with The Tribune and Lucas was published, and featured a lot of Lucas' excellent advice, plus mention of Headwaters Farm. Edited text for an upcoming blog.
  • Met with Katie and Kathy to discuss a simpler more streamlined way of tracking advertising and related items.
  • Trained staff on using the website, fielded several calls and emails to various staff, several website updates.
Planned:
  • Finalize Farmland Protection brochure.
  • Planning: work plan updates, marketing plan. Send comments on policy drafts.
  • Continue to assist with job outreach and updates as needed.
  • Finalize ad tracking document.
Information Technology Lissa Adams,
Lindsay Nelson,
Alex Woolery
Completed:
  • Lindsay, Alex and Lissa responded to staff IT issues and questions as needed; see notes in their individual reports above.
  • Alex investigated and tested issues Aaron was having with a slowly-performing station, and followed up by editing BIOS settings and retesting. Some improvement but performance is still somewhat slow.
  • Alex and Lindsay worked on setting up and troubleshooting issues with email accounts and forwarding setup.
Planned:
  • Lindsay, Alex and Lissa will respond to staff IT issues and questions as needed.
  • Alex will follow up further with IT contractor on Aaron's station.
RURAL LANDS
ACTIVITIES
Program Management Julie DiLeone
Completed:
  • CLIP team meeting.
  • Meeting with equity team and Center for Diversity and Inclusion.
  • Attended a lot of great sessions at the Connect Conference.
Planned:
  • Hopefully finalizing agreements with State Parks and USFS for weed control in the Eagle Creek Fire area.
  • Working with Jeremy on an irrigation workshop at the Columbia Grange.
Rural Water Quality Aaron Guffey
Completed:
  • Met with nursery managers to review the 30% design for an Erosion Solutions project.
  • Created a presentation to introduce a proposed CLIP and Erosion Solutions pilot project to the board in May.
  • Communicated with the Mt Hood Chapter board regarding a proposed summer golfing event at McMinnamins Edgefield.
  • Attended the April partners meeting (IJC) for the Johnson Creek watershed.
Planned:
  • Work with engineering consultants and Clackamas SWCD to create Erosion Solutions designs for two nurseries.
  • Engage in the diversity, equity, and inclusion process EMSWCD staff are participating in.
  • Attend all Oregon Association of Nurseries Mt Hood Chapter meetings and events. Fulfill the responsibilities of treasurer on the Mt Hood Chapter board.
  • Connect with partners to explore opportunities for developing better solutions regarding cover crop useage on nurseries.
StreamCare Lucas Nipp
Completed:
  • Vacation in southern Florida for most of the reporting period.
  • Chelsea and I deployed eleven temperature sensors to monitor summer stream temperatures in Beaver, Johnson, Big, and Smith Creeks.
  • I attended the Beaver Creek Conservation Partnership Meeting. We plan to develop a conservation plan for lower Beaver Creek that will hopefully serve all partners, stating goals for the area and specifics on different sites. More to come.
Planned:
  • I am going out with Chris and Jon to lend a hand in the fight against garlic mustard and control garlic mustard on some graduated StreamCare sites where we inadvertently moved garlic mustard.
  • I will be working on hiring committees with both the Western Invasives Network and the Columbia Gorge Cooperative Weed Management Areas to work towards finding a new coordinator for each.
  • I have several landowners who are interested in StreamCare and I will be setting up site visits for next week.
Technical Assistance Jeremy Baker
Completed:
  • Attended the Connect Training Conference from April 17-19th. Attended sessions such as: Oregon Conservation Partnership Joint Meeting, Managing for Healthy Soils, Conservation Planning (NRCS) Updates.
  • Attended CLIP team meeting to review 2 potential projects and set the agenda for the next meeting.
  • Finalized CLIP agreement with a landowner who is now proceeding with their project to convert from sprinkler irrigation over to drip on a small farm in Troutdale.
Planned:
  • While at Connect I attended the OCEAN Annual meeting and accepted nomination as President for 2018-2019. I am currently in the process of updating my schedule for participation in Oregon Conservation Partnership meetings and the like.
  • Will be attending a site visit with Land Legacy for property assessments.
  • Working on two irrigation water management (IWM) presentations. One will be in coordination with Julie DiLeone on a general IWM for the Corbett Grange. The second presentation will be for the "Advanced Irrigation Training" for Headwaters farmers in coordination with Rogue Farm Corp and NRCS.
Weed Management Chris Aldassy
Completed:
  • Chris was unable to submit a report during this period.
Weed Management Jon Wagner
Completed:
  • Chris and I collected monthly water quality samples and conducted the monthly wildlife survey.
  • I made some updates to the water quality sampling assessment procedures for Johnson and Beaver Creeks and I graded all of our past turbidity data. I outreached garlic mustard landowners. I worked with Chelsea to plan a new social media campaign.
  • Chris and I worked with crews to finish the first pass of garlic mustard control at all control sites. Chris and I surveyed fire sites and sprayed 75 square meters of shining geranium between I-84 and the edge of the burn near Cascade Locks.
Planned:
  • Chris and I will work with crews to begin the second pass of spray control at all garlic mustard control sites. We will also continue burn area weed surveys.
  • I will make final edits to the Dianna Pope Natural Area interprative sign. I will begin work on a new outreach campaign. I will make final edits to the water quality sampling assessment procedures for Johnson and Beaver Creeks. I will outreach garlic mustard landowners.
Outreach & Education Chelsea White-Brainard
Completed:
  • Installed temperature loggers at 10 sites in Johnson, Beaver, Smith, and Big Creeks with Lucas.
  • Attended CONNECT conference. Worked on equity statement and Equity Team charter. Met with partners to develop social media campaign utilizing content from Beaver Creek water quality mailer.
  • Sent postcard to promote irrigation efficiency workshop. Workshop will be held at the Columbia Grange on May 15th, with Julie presenting.
Planned:
  • Interpretive sign: Incorporate feedback from staff, research sign companies, get quotes, order.
  • Call priority landowners in Johnson and Beaver Creeks for StreamCare recruitment.
  • Continue to promote irrigation workshop via email, social media, and community calendars.
URBAN LANDS
ACTIVITIES
Program Management Kathy Shearin
Completed:
  • Jay, Andrew, Matt and I met with Portland BDS to discuss the corrections they are making to their zoning maps to make them more accurate.
  • Attended Oregon Conservation Educations and Assistance Network's annual CONNECT conference.
  • Met with MT Hood Community College (MHCC) retrofit team, OTAK (consultants) and new Facilities Director of the College to review 95% designs for the retrofit.
  • Management Team attended two performance evaluation program demonstrations to assess their applicability to our organization.
  • Attended: the Solve Pest Problems Advisory Group, CLIP Team meeting, MHCC Outreach Team meeting, Beavercreek Partnership meeting.
Planned:
  • Giving a Backyard Weeds workshop to East Portland Neighborhood Association.
  • Participate in Center for Equity and Inclusion (CEI) Training.
Technical Assistance Whitney Bailey
Completed:
  • Tabled at Hortlandia.
  • Attended CONNECT conference.
  • Obtained consultations and quotes for landscape work at Conservation Corner.
  • Attended Columbia Slough Watershed Council Tech Team meeting, internal CLIP team meeting.
  • Provided technical assistance to seven individuals regarding invasive species control, native plants, rain gardens, lawn removal, erosion control, and pollinator meadow establishment. Met with landowner regarding invasive species removal and stormwater management.
Planned:
  • Following up on meeting regarding Burlingame Creek restoration.
  • Assisting with Yard Tour set-up and day of as needed.
  • Review and comments on CSWC Five Year Stewardship Action Plan draft.
  • Draft third Nature Notes blog.
  • Answering tech assist requests regarding flow-through stormwater planter sizing, plant sale follow-up questions, colorful deer-resistant pollinator plants for meadows, old trees; and control methods for blackberry, lesser celandine, garlic mustard, japanese knotweed, yellow archangel, butterfly bush, and English ivy.
Outreach & Education Angela Previdelli
Completed:
  • Attended Connect Conference.
  • Yard Tour: Ongoing coordination of 10 hosts and 40 volunteers. Drafting the Yard Tour Guide - pictures, text, design.
  • Attended and spoke at Intertwine Funder's Forum.
Planned:
  • Final event coordination before Yard Tour (May 12th).
  • Review/approve May SPACE grants.
Outreach & Education Katie Meckes
Completed:
  • Attended CONNECT Conference April 17th-19th.
  • Yard Tour preparations include setting up registration on the website, updating the Yard Tour webpage, and preparing the Yard Tour email announcement that will go out next week immediately after we open registration on May 1st.
  • Attended MHCC Outreach meeting to assist with retrofit outreach planning
  • Sent a special "Spring Tools, Tips, Events & Resources" email last week. It was well received with a 28% open rate. The garden resources links got the most attention.
Planned:
  • I will be presenting at the Central NE Neighborhoods meeting on May 2nd.
  • I will be attending the Recruiting & Retaining a Multicultural Workforce Conference on May 2nd.
  • I will be tabling at the MHCC Community Conservation Fair on May 12th & Multnomah ESD Wellness Fair on May 16th.
Outreach & Education Josie Moberg
Completed:
  • Josie was unable to submit a report during this period.
CONSERVATION LEGACY
ACTIVITIES
Program Management Andrew Brown
Completed:
  • Compiled quaterly report for the third quarter of FY17-18. Advanced the 5-year budget and program content for the 2018-2023 strategic plan.
  • Assisted Matt with the Oxbow disposition and Rowan with management planning for the new farm acquisition.
  • Completed weeds program GIS database transition, and new in-field data capture functionality.
  • Attended CONNECT conference.
Planned:
  • Andrew will be on vacation over the next two weeks.
Grants Suzanne Easton
Completed:
  • Started contracting process with 2018 PIC grantees.
  • Attended CONNECT conference.
  • Completed quarterly report.
  • Participated in regional funders forum at Intertwine with Angela.
  • Equity - attended staff group check-in and April CEI training.
Planned:
  • Continue work on PIC 2018 Funding Agreements.
  • Attend local Farm/Garden Network gathering and Intertwine Greening Schoolyards meeting.
  • Work on evaluation plan for grant program.
Land Legacy Matt Shipkey
Completed:
  • Due diligence commenced on new transaction.
  • Oxbow offers being evaluated.
  • Participated in Changing Hands workshop.
  • Attended Connect.
  • Participated in interview with press regarding a recent farmland transaction.
Planned:
  • Farmland protection brochure finalized for printer.
  • Advance Oxbow offer decision making.
  • Due diligence advanced on new transaction.
  • Advance drafting of working farmland easement template.
Headwaters Farm Rowan Steele
Completed:
  • Hosted a Crop Planning training for Rogue Farm Corps apprentices and first-year HIP farmers.
  • Turned in cover crops and helped farmers prep fields.
  • Facilitated electrical work associated with the forthcoming weather station.
Planned:
  • Get stormwater project contract to contractor.
  • Work on the draft term sheet for the new property.
  • Teaching a soil health training.
Headwaters Farm Stuart Moeller
Completed:
  • Weed management (mowing, weeding pollinator habitat and the beetle bank, and installing nursery fabric in the hoophouse).
  • Helped run trellis lines in the hoophouse.
  • Conducted maintenance on the large disc giving it a major cleaning and greasing.
Planned:
  • More mowing of cover crops and weeds.
  • Installing silage tarps over intense weed areas that will be fallowed this season.
  • Supporting the build-out of the new wash station.