Activity Report for the Period 4/15/2019 – 4/26/2019

East Multnomah Soil and Water Conservation District
Jay Udelhoven
  • External Engagement: Attended Multnomah County Commissioner’s meeting; followed up with District Managers regarding DM Forum at Connect; worked with CSWCD DM to establish online DM Forum.
  • Boards/Committees: Prepared for board meeting.
  • Policies/Planning/Budgeting: Continued work on fiscal policies and procedures and personnel policies.
  • Supervision/Leadership: Evaluated health plan options with staff; met with staff (1x1) and management team.
  • Program Implementation: Completed agreement with Indigo Farms for use of office for flower CSA pickup; created draft MOA for demonstration project at NAYA; scheduled next SPA meeting; evaluated options for long-term protection of StreamCare sites with staff; evaluated options and rationale for land acquisition near Headwaters Farm; evaluated Ross Island boundary issue.
  • External Engagement: Meet with watershed councils for SPA coordination; meet with NRCS and WMSWCD for working lands coordination; continue follow up with DMs on DM Forum.
  • Boards/Committees: Host board meeting.
  • Policies/Planning/Budgeting: Continue work on personnel policies.
  • Supervision/Leadership: Meet with staff (1x1) and management team; discuss equity planning with Equity Team Chair.
  • Program Implementation: Meet with Urban Lands staff to discuss engagement on industrial sites in coordination with BES.
Program Supervision / Finance & Budget Dan Mitten
  • Financial: Monitored receivables, payables, and bank balances. Inititated transfers and reviewed processed checks. Worked with bookkeeper on payroll processing for April. Reviewed and prepared Financial Reports for May 6th Board meeting.
  • Coordinated Budget Committee #3 materials, created and reviewed Budget vs. Actuals report per program. Incorporated recommended change to draft budget from Budget Committee meeting number #2.
  • Completed evaluation of time bank accrual methodology, timesheets entries, and pay period to determine more efficient methods. Wrote report and submitted to ED for review and/or implementation.
  • Held 1X1 meetings with F&O staff.
  • Began reviewing professional services contracts, public contracting types, templates, and use-case scenarios for each.
  • Provided overview and discussed benefits and renewal options with ED and Office Manager. Decision reached to renew with current carrier and plan. Reviewed and provided input on FSA Master Application with Office Manager.
  • Completed 3rd Quarter Progress Report for F&O with F&O staff. Sent out reports to ED and Program Managers to review.
  • Will continue to monitor and analyze FY18-19 budget vs. actuals.
  • Will submit OSGP retirement plan contributions for month of April by April 30th.
  • Will research to determine where our contracts may be insufficient, where they can be improved upon, and use-case scenarios. Will discuss with Program Managers and ED.
  • Began comprehensive review of the Fiscal Policies and Procedures.
  • Will create F&O 3rd Quarter Progress Report for presentation to the Board at May Board meeting.
Office Management Lindsay Nelson
  • Daily and weekly operational duties: handling incoming and outgoing mail, processing invoices, sending out payments; IT support; answering phone calls, responding to emails, interacting with the public, and ordering supplies.
  • I calculated new cost for employees for benefits.
  • Meetings: I met with the Equity Team. I met with staff to go over benefit open enrollment. Met with Dan 1x1.
  • With Dan's help, I completed the TASC Master Application for FSA benefit.
  • I met with Missie from TASC to talk about FSA benefit.
Facilities Management Scot Wood
  • The meeting with the concrete contractor regarding the front steps and the EV electrical trench has been moved to this next Friday.
  • Along with wash station "upgrades," I also built some long needed platforms for some of the implements to get them up off of the ground.
  • I met with an HVAC contractor to get a quote on repairing/replacing the main hall heater at the Grange.
  • I will be meeting with contractors at Headwaters to acquire quotes on the site excavation for the new equipment shed as well as quotes for building the equipment shed.
  • I will be meeting with an electrical contractor at a farm site to get the final piece of the puzzle quote for the main hall heater.
Marketing & Media Alex Woolery
  • Website: board and committee updates, updated organizational and reporting files, filled in older years' archive files. Finalized Open House edits and published page. Discussed draft Land Conservation content, made minor edits to content.
  • Materials: reviewed brochure needs and a new design with Katie, sought quotes and created comparisons, sent materials to print, reviewed feedback on Open House flier, worked with Rowan and Andrew on Headwaters outdoor signage, worked with Lucas on herbicide application sign.
  • Ran analytics on subscriber base, reviewed with Katie and helped optimize and clean out list. Email engagement should be much higher and more effective following this change, will continue to monitor analytics.
  • Helped edit a press release on Oxbow and review a draft blog on census data.
  • Materials: finalize Open House postcard and Headwaters sign designs, send both to print. Order new herbicide application signs.
  • Assist with Open House marketing, materials and engagement as necessary.
  • Help edit and publish two new blogs. Create an infographic for one of the blogs.
  • Work through outstanding work plan items.
  • Assist with workshop formatting and workshop demographic sheets.
Program Management Julie DiLeone
  • Attended the Sandy River Delta Partner meeting hosted by USFS.
  • Out sick a few days with a nasty cold.
  • Completed the ODA and EMSWCD quarterly reports for Rural Lands.
  • Solve pest problems IPM website meeting.
  • Training on the new software for the weather station and soil water probes.
Rural Water Quality Aaron Guffey
  • Researched field supply needs.
  • Researched training opportunities.
  • Finalized the CLIP agreement for an access road at a nursery.
  • Connect with partners to develop strategies to promote cover crop adoption/optimalization on nurseries.
  • Monitor an access road/sediment basin project at a nursery.
  • Work with a nursery to install an approved CLIP microirrigation project.
  • Work with a nursery to install an approved CLIP access road project. Assist the same nursery with irrigation efficiency.
StreamCare Lucas Nipp
  • Water conservation spray (ring sprays) have been completed on all StreamCare sites for the spring. 275 acres visited since early March.
  • Chelsea and I deployed twelve in stream temperature sensors across four watersheds. Temperature sensors will record temperature every hour until they are retrieved in October. This data can be compared the the state temperature standard for rearing salmonds. Three were deployed in Beaver Creek, one in Big Creek, three in Smith Creek, and five in Johnson Creek.
  • Did an initial site assessment on a 90 acre farm that is interested in enrolling in StreamCare.
  • I will continue working on developing options for long term protection of StreamCare sites.
  • Chelsea and I are going to begin planning for this year's StreamCare outreach.
  • I will be presenting about StreamCare at the Beaver Creek Brunch at the Skyland Pub in Troutdale. Ten minute presentations from myself, Multnomah County, City of Troutdale, Ecology in Classrooms Oregon (ECO), and the Sandy River Watershed Council will be giving during a brunch at the pub.
Technical Assistance Jeremy Baker
  • Jeremy was unable to submit a report for this work period.
Weed Management Chris Aldassy
  • Garlic Mustard control with crews and with Jon.
  • I had a crew out in the burn area targetting weedy species.
  • Coordination for presenting at the CGCWMA field day.
  • Continued garlic Mustard control with crews and with Jon.
Weed Management Jon Wagner
  • I worked with Chris and contract crews to control 0.75 acres of garlic mustard over 90 acres of private land.
  • Lucas and I collected monthly water quality samples and conducted the wildlife surveys.
  • I gave a wildlife habitat presentation.
  • I will work with Chris and contract crews to complete first passes of garlic mustard surveys and control at all sites.
Outreach & Education Chelsea White-Brainard
  • Events : Planned and hosted Wildlife workshop, presented by Jon Wagner at the Columbia Grange on April 17th. Began promoting our Spring Livestock workshop on May 21st. Began planning 4-County CWMA Field Day, which will take place in Multnomah County this year. It will feature the DPNA at Headwaters and Nadaka Nature Park.
  • Equity: Attended equity plan workshop by Impact NW and YWCA. Worked with the Equity Plan Working Group to develop a process and timeline for completion of the Equity Plan. Communicated that process to management and staff. Continued research and development of the Equity Plan.
  • Projects: Met with Emma Browne and Rowan to discuss upcoming video projects out at Headwaters. Met with Folks from Clackamas SWCD and Aaron to plan a video about cover cropping on nurseries. Installed temperature sensors with Lucas in Big, Smith, Johnson, and Beaver Creeks.
  • Continue planning and promotion upcoming workshops, tours, and tabling events.
  • Equity: Communicate Equity Plan process with the board. Send Part 1 of the Equity Plan to staff and Management Team for feedback. Work with board to develop an agenda for their DEI work session on May 17th.
  • Projects: Begin filming cover crop video. Support Emma Browne in filming out at Headwaters. Begin editing wildlife video.
Program Management Kathy Shearin
  • Presented a weeds workshop in Gresham.
  • Participated in Solve Pest Problems steering committee.
  • Attend Columbia Slough Watershed Council meeting. Attend NW Adult Conservation Education meeting.
  • Participate in Solve Pest Problems Advisory Committee.
  • Meet with MHCC Steering committee.
  • Participate in Strategic Partnership Aggreement meeting with watershed councils.
Technical Assistance Whitney Bailey
  • Attended Columbia Slough Watershed Council Tech Team meeting.
  • Tabled at Hortlandia.
  • Provided technical assistance on a variety of topics.
Outreach & Education Monica McAllister
  • Attended April Jade District Steering Committee, Rosewood Initiative Partner Meeting, and City of Gresham's Green Business Coffee Hour at Rockwood Boys and Girls Club. Meeting with JP from Backyard Habitat Certification Program.
  • Attended the Greening Rockwood Friends of Trees Planting Event at Nadaka Nature Park on April 13th. Tabled at Hortlandia April 20th.
  • Reviewed Intership Applications independantly and again with Katie.
  • Met with Internal Working Group, Equity Plan Subcommittee, and Equity Team General Meeting. Read Metro's Equity Action Plan and Ecotrust Equity Plan. Reviewed sections of our Equity Plan. Attended Decolonizing Sustainability Event at PSU on April 24th.
  • Worked on Open House and Garden Event.
  • Jade Community Gardening Party May 11th. Attend Intertwine Summit 2019: Investing in Nature April 29th.
  • Attend Boise, Cully, Vernon, and Portsmouth Neighborhood Assocation Meetings and promote Open House and Garden Event.
  • Interview applicants for Intern position.
  • Board DEI Working Session with Equity Team. Continue working on Equity Plan and Implementation of DEI.
  • Open House and Garden Event.
Outreach & Education Katie Meckes
  • Reviewed and scored intern applications. Recommended top candidates to invite for interviews. Awaiting approval from Jay and Kathy to proceed.
  • Scheduled a tour of Conservation Corner a group of Americorps volunteers that will be working with Sabin CDC this summer
  • Delivered a Naturescaping / Water Conservation / Beneficial Wildlife presentation at a Metro Earth Month Lunch & Learn
  • Finalized Lawn Removal handout draft. Working with Alex on reprint efforts.
  • Schedule intern interviews.
  • Finalize Stormwater Chapter and NSB workbook edits. Continue working with Alex to determine reprint schedule.
  • Assist with Open House logistics.
  • Prepare detailed documentation for successful transfer of work duties to Brandi.
Outreach & Education Brandi Boersma
  • Spanish Pollinators Workshop with JCWC and Leach had 19 guests!
  • Tabled at both Hortlandia and ReClaim It's Earth Day Celebration.
  • Entered all demographics data from past workshop seasons. Workshop registration management, outreach, and host communications. Posted fall workshop available dates, based on presenter availability. Met with contracted Workshop Presenter.
  • Created a guide for specialized Gresham/Troutdale Outreach.
  • Open House Planning.
  • Working with PPR Community Gardens for next bilingual workshop.
  • Humboldt Neigbhorhood Association Meeting.
  • Intern interviews.
  • JCWC/Leach workshop recap meeting.
  • Sabin CDC AmeriCorps presentation and tour.
Program Management Andrew Brown
  • Compiled the quarterly report for the third quarter of FY18-19. Worked on the draft 5-year EMSWCD strategic plan.
  • Assisted Rowan with materials for the permitting and procurement of the equipment shed and other works projects at Headwaters and Mainstem farms.
  • Pursued Headwaters solar installation options and procurement.
  • Finalize the draft 5-year EMSWCD strategic plan for internal discussion.
  • Pursue Headwaters solar installation options and quotes, and advance related grant applications. Prepare EV and solar related information for presentation to the May Board meeting.
  • Assist Matt with advancing and refining various Land Legacy program documents and projects in preparation for the May LLC meeting.
Grants Suzanne Easton
  • 2019 PIC: Continued contracting process with new grantees. Provided more extensive feedback to those who were not funded.
  • Equity: Met with Equity Team and Internal Working sub-group, developing plan for continuing education of staff and board and other internal activities; attended Decolonizing Sustainability presentation; hosted Equity Grantmakers meeting.
  • Attended tree planting event at Nadaka Nature Park as part of 2017 PIC grant to Multnomah County, made a few remarks on behalf of the District.
  • PIC 2019: Continue contracting; issue press release.
  • Attending Intertwine Summit.
  • Attend SPA meeting.
Land Legacy Matt Shipkey
  • Finalized various outreach items - Oxbow press release, website revisions, Ag Census blog post.
  • Conducted additional outreach on Metro and OAHP funding; secured traction on the former.
  • Drafted conservation easement term sheet for potential land conservation project.
  • Advance several land conservation opportunities.
  • Outreach items broadcast / follow-up.
  • Advance Gordon Creek disposition option assessment.
Headwaters Farm Rowan Steele
  • Developing the scope of work for various summer earthmoving projects at Headwaters Farm and the equipment shed bids.
  • Drafted and sent out 1st Quarter HIP invoices and completed the EMSWCD 3rd Quarter Report.
  • Worked with Alex and Andrew to come up with draft building signage for Headwaters Farm facilities.
  • Met with Chelsea and a videographer to discuss film project speaking to HIP successes through two different incubator farms.
  • Hosting an organic farming class from Clackamas Community College.
  • Teaching Nutrient Management to new HIP farmers and other entry level farmers.
  • Working on equipment shed permits and getting bids for various components of the work.
Headwaters Farm Stuart Moeller
  • Lot’s of tractor time: mowing cover crop and discing various corners of the farm.
  • Planted sedge in the portion of the driveway ditch that pools with water and removed thistle from the hedgerows, beetle bank, and Natural Area plaque cut-out.
  • Supported the trenching project to run power to the Mainstem prophouse.
  • Mowing around the farm to keep up on weeds.
  • Organizing the BCS staging area.
  • Managing horsetail in Field 5.