Activity Report for the Period 4/2/2018 – 4/13/2018

East Multnomah Soil and Water Conservation District
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
ACTIVITIES
Jay Udelhoven
Completed:
  • External Engagement: Met with Portland Audubon’s Conservation Director to discuss equity planning and a potential new facility on the east side.
  • Boards/Committees: Prepared for and hosted April Board meeting.
  • Policies/Planning/Budgeting: Met with staff to discuss how equity considerations can be incorporated into strategic planning.
  • Supervision/Leadership: Addressed staff potential conflict of interest; began evaluation of salary bump requests for two staff; held transition meeting with Finance & Operations staff and CFO for supervisory hand-off of team; finalized job description, job announcement, and distribution list for the CFO recruitment; met with staff 1x1 and management team.
  • Program Implementation: Worked with Scot to address camping issues at HQ office; assessed Access to Nature opportunity with program staff.
Planned:
  • External Engagement: Meet with the City of Portland’s Equity Director for a meet-and-greet; possibly attend the Multnomah County Farm Bureau meeting.
  • Boards/Committees: Meet with Board Director Hensey to discuss strategic planning and equity.
  • Policies/Planning/Budgeting: Continue to work on next round of personnel policy updates.
  • Supervision/Leadership: Attend CONNECT training; review HR/performance evaluation software options; participate in equity meeting; meet with staff 1x1 and management team.
  • Program Implementation: Attend Oregon Agricultural Heritage Program meeting.
FINANCE & OPERATIONS
ACTIVITIES
Program Supervision / Finance & Budget Lissa Adams
Completed:
  • Lissa was out of office and unable to submit a report.
Office Management Lindsay Nelson
Completed:
  • Finished LLC Meeting minutes. Created a spreadsheet to show information gathered on branded gear. Filed in Personnel files. I sent out checks to various vendors.
  • Attended a webinar on Oregon Records Management Solution. Walked through online training implementation for SDAO insurance discount. Read more of the New Jim Crow.
  • Met with Advance Communications Services to retreive information on NEC phone system. Updated spreadsheet on telecommunication systems.
  • Spent some time with Tim from TeamLogic to try to troubeshoot Kathy's tablet.
Planned:
  • Continue sending job post to various organizations and job sites.
  • I will be attending Connect.
Facilities Management Scot Wood
Completed:
  • I've been researching 2-way audio cameras to install on the front porch at the office, to better monitor what happens evenings and weekends, and have purchased one.
  • I've been working with Stuart to install the final irrigation risers in the fourth hoop house at Headwaters.
  • The property cleanup is finished at the new property, the barn "suite" has been cleaned and the roof leaks have been addressed.
Planned:
  • As soon as the camera comes in I will get it installed and I will be installing a chain "barrier" with a sign to hopefully discourage after hours porch guests.
  • I hope to get the gable end on the barn wash station completed.
  • I will be working on the well pumphouse at the new property, to address the minor repairs that need doin'.
Marketing & Media Alex Woolery
Completed:
  • Materials and media: continued working with Matt, Andrew and Jon on Farmland protection brochure and art assets, including Andrew's new farmland loss map. Created a final draft and distributed for review. Further follow-up and quotes for several different materials for Urban and Rural Lands. Made a new nametag design.
  • Website: Board and Committee support with Lindsay, created a new tutorial on website updates. Updated more Headwaters farmer bios, provided edits and feedback for a Headwaters farmer blog. Several new website posts and a job announcement. Archived and updated old posts and webpage content.
  • Outreach: coordinated with Katie to finalize and launch Pipeline PDX event listings. Helped promote workshops, conservation jobs, partner events. Press outreach for the Mishima property to several outlets, had a great interview with Matt and a reporter from the Tribune on Thursday. Created detailed analytics on service directory ads running for the last couple years.
Planned:
  • Work with staff feedback on Farmland protection brochure and finalize.
  • Work with Lindsay to distribute and promote new CFO position announcement.
  • Will be holding down the fort at the office as many staff head to Connect.
  • Meet with Kathy on tracking advertising and marketing efforts.
  • Follow-up on ads, materials and quotes.
Information Technology Lissa Adams,
Lindsay Nelson,
Alex Woolery
Completed:
  • Lindsay, Alex and Lissa responded to staff IT issues and questions as needed; see notes in their individual reports above.
Planned:
  • Lindsay, Alex and Lissa will respond to staff IT issues and questions as needed.
RURAL LANDS
ACTIVITIES
Program Management Julie DiLeone
Completed:
  • Webinar about discussing climate change with ag and natural resource audiences.
  • One-on-one meetings with Rural Lands staff.
  • Continuing design work for drainage at the new property.
Planned:
  • Attending the Connect Conference.
  • Meeting with equity team and CEI.
  • CLIP team meeting.
Rural Water Quality Aaron Guffey
Completed:
  • Met with nursery managers and a contractor to discuss hydroseeding alternatives for an Erosion Solutions project.
  • Completed recent equity assignments.
  • Attended the March partners meeting (IJC) for the Johnson Creek watershed. Attended a Cover Crop field day at the NRCS Plant Material Center.
  • Presented about the Headwaters Farm stream crossing replacement project to an audience of 50 at the ORWEF Water Environment School, a conference for water utilities.
  • Worked through the reinstatement process of reestablishing my certification as a Certified Professional in Erosion and Sediment Control (CPESC).
Planned:
  • Engage in the diversity, equity, and inclusion process EMSWCD staff are participating in.
  • Attend all Oregon Association of Nurseries Mt Hood Chapter meetings and events.
  • Connect with partners to explore opportunities for developing better solutions regarding cover crop useage on nurseries.
StreamCare Lucas Nipp
Completed:
  • Workshops: I attended a great workshop on beaver management with some hands on culvert protection installation and attended a great workshop on beginning regional planning and response to the impeding arrival of the Emeral Ash Borer. Let me know if you would like information on either of these topics.
  • I completed spring spraying on StreamCare sites in all watersheds. About 90 more acres of water conservation/ring sprays and reed canary grass treatments.
  • I have been creating and preparing GIS files to be used in modeling of StreamCare shading effects in Johnson Creek.
Planned:
  • I will be on vacation all of April 16-20 and April 23rd.
  • Chelsea and I will deploy 11-13 stream temperature sensors in the four StreamCare watersheds.
  • I have some site visits lined up for landowners who are interested in learning more about StreamCare.
Technical Assistance Jeremy Baker
Completed:
  • Held the first annual "office hours" at the Corbett Grange. 11 people signed up, 6 people attended with only 2 no-shows. Questions and concerns were broad and included forestry, invasives, grazing management, mud management and heavy use areas. All in all, it was a good event.
  • Met with OCEAN training grant committee members yesterday to continue to build this grant for distribution later this year (hopefully). We've got the ground work done and are now fine tuning the focus of the grant.
  • Met with HIP farmers to discuss their cropping and irrigation management with the goal of drafting and irrigation water management plan (IWM) for this season.
Planned:
  • Capturing the information/discussion from each of the landowners I met with during office hours to draft a report to provide to the participants.
  • Capturing the information from 3 site visits last week into a report to provide to the landowner.
  • Working with the weather station contractors to finalize instrumentation and soil probes to be installed.
Weed Management Chris Aldassy
Completed:
  • Garlic mustard control is in full swing. I am leading crews when they are available on dry days.
  • Site visits with USFS and Friends of the Gorge folks to help prioritize their projects, talk about our previous work, and find places we can work together for weed control and restoration in the burn area.
  • I have been leading crews cutting tree ivy on rainy days.
Planned:
  • Garlic mustard control will continue.
  • Control and plant survey work in the burn area.
  • Project outreach for ivy control.
Weed Management Jon Wagner
Completed:
  • Chris and I have been working with crews to finsih up the first passes of garlic mustard control at public and private sites.
  • I finished the Diana Pope Natural Area sign illustration. I made the illustration for a boot brush window cling sticker as part of a collaboration with King County SWCD. I entered and graded water quality data. I outreached garlic mustard landowners.
  • Chris and I toured possible volunteer weed control sites with Friends of the Gorge and Forest Service staff. We also surveyed priority trailheads and trails in the burn zone and controlled shining geranium at a few of these locations.
Planned:
  • I will collect monthly water quality samples and wildlife surveys.
  • I will continue to update the water quality sampling assessment procedures for Johnson and Beaver Creeks. I will outreach garlic mustard landowners. I will work with Chelsea on a social media campaign.
  • Chris and I will work with the crews to finish the first pass of garlic mustard control. Chris and I will continue weed fire surveys and control.
Outreach & Education Chelsea White-Brainard
Completed:
  • Promoted new outreach strategy we're calling "Office Hours at the Grange," where Jeremy spends an afternoon out at the Grange, providing one-on-one conservation planning assistance to folks. 11 people signed up for half hour slots over two days.
  • Worked with Lucas and Rowan to refine the text of the interpretive sign that will be installed at the Dianna Pope Natural Area out at Headwaters Farm. Sign will feature an amazing watercolor by Jon and will focus on the benefits of streamside forests.
  • Recently coordinated with partners to develop Spanish translations of ten invasive weed fact sheets, created in partnerships with the CWMA (Cooperative Weed Management Area). Worked with Alex to get them posted to EMSWCD website.
Planned:
  • Promote irrigation efficiency workshop via mailer, social media, web, and email. Workshop will be held at the Columbia Grange on May 15th, with Julie presenting.
  • Continue to finalize interpretive sign and incorporate feedback.
  • Work with Jon on social media campaign for rural lands.
URBAN LANDS
ACTIVITIES
Program Management Kathy Shearin
Completed:
  • MHCC Outreach team meeting - I followed up with an example Outreach Plan to help guide the process. Attended MHCC Stakeholders meeting.
  • Met with Angela to make final selection for Yard Tour. Met with Management Team. Met with Management Team and program managers to discuss how Equity and Diversity plan will be incorporated into our 5-yr Strategic Plan and Budgets.
  • Met with an arborist to discuss the health of several trees at conservation corner.
Planned:
  • Writing letter of support for Colimbia Slough Watershed Council for CWSP grant.
  • Meet with SolvePestProblems Steering committee.
Technical Assistance Whitney Bailey
Completed:
  • Conservation Corner: Met twice with Blossom onsight, overseeing last of winter clean-up. Met with and got estimate from Harrity trees re: various tree maintenance needs.
  • Technical Assistance: 5 site visits with landowners & managers to discuss lesser celandine control, street tree options, urban streambank erosion, Burlingame Creek restoration efforts, and invasive species removal (3 are potential CLIP projects).
  • Answered several inquiries about parking strip plantings and naturescaping, including from a SPACE grantee.
  • Presented to Multnomah County employees on how native plants help remove toxins from stormwater runoff.
  • Submitted third quarter reporting.
Planned:
  • Attending CONNECT conference.
  • Working on replies to 4 more inquiries regarding: celandine/clematis/blackberry control; blackberries/irrigation/urban gardening; blackberry control on Johnson Creek (a 4th possible CLIP); and meadowscaping a 1/2 acre area. Followups to all site visits and inquiries from the last 2 weeks.
  • Attending Columbia Slough Watershed Council 3rd quarter Tech Team meeting.
  • Participating in CLIP Team internal project reviews.
Outreach & Education Angela Previdelli
Completed:
  • Angela was unable to submit a report; these items will be updated early next week.
Outreach & Education Katie Meckes
Completed:
  • Working on a special email announcement to provide awesome spring gardening resources, also to help promote May 19th Depave event.
  • Coordinating print jobs with other districts for bug pamphlets. Workshop flier and outreach display updates in progress. Preparations for tabling at Hortlandia. Responding to spring tabling event and presentation invitations.
  • Connect Conference preparations. Attended MHCC Outreach meeting.
  • Added notes and formatted ADA Notes working draft.
Planned:
  • Attend Connect Conference.
  • Present at Central NE Neigbhors Board Meeting.
Outreach & Education Josie Moberg
Completed:
  • 6-month check-in review.
  • Updating database with new addresses.
  • Planning bug hotel activity for Kairos school.
  • Entered in demographic data of past workshops.
CONSERVATION LEGACY
ACTIVITIES
Program Management Andrew Brown
Completed:
  • Continued to work on strategic plan and 5 year budget options.
  • Assisted Matt and Rowan with various program and contractual issues.
  • Worked on serveral GIS projects, including developing a historical ag land loss map, new weeds points database.
  • Attended Metro meeting about their plans for future natural area bond measure.
Planned:
  • Advance the 2018-2023 EMSWCD strategic plan draft, including 5-year budget, and outstanding content for the programs.
  • Compile third quarterly report for FY17-18.
  • Assist with base data preparation, and running riparian shade model for StreamCare.
Grants Suzanne Easton
Completed:
  • PIC 2018: Finalized board materials and presented to the Board on April 2. PIC recommendations approved. Notified all applicants of results from Board decision.
  • Attended CSWC's State of the Slough event. Attended meeting with Andrew and Angela to plan for transition of SPACE to ZoomGrants. Attended Depave celebration to welcome new ED.
  • Participated in meeting of Management and Equity teams to discuss five-year budgeting.
  • Met with grantee staff from Kairos PDX to talk about longer term prospects for PIC funding.
Planned:
  • PIC 2018: Follow-up with applicants, reasons for decline, next steps for contracting. Update contract documents in ZoomGrants.
  • Attend PIC grantee event - FOT tree planting in Gresham with Multnomah County. Attend CONNECT conference.
  • Work on Quarterly report.
  • Prepare for CEI session and equity staff group meeting.
Land Legacy Matt Shipkey
Completed:
  • Oxbow broker agreement executed, property listed.
  • Purchase and Sale Agreement/Option executed.
  • Recent farmland transaction, website posting, newsletter inclusion. Several EMSWCD property interests filed according to protocol. Reviewed several farmland conservation opportunities.
  • Staffed and led productive Land Legacy Committee meeting.
Planned:
  • Due diligence commenced on new transaction.
  • Evaluate Oxbow offers.
  • Finalize preparations for a presentation at Rogue Farm Corps Succession/Access Workshop.
  • Attend Connect.
Headwaters Farm Rowan Steele
Completed:
  • Coordinated and taught the annual tractor training and other equipment trainings (BCS, flame weeder) to HIP farmers.
  • Created a draft contract for the upcoming stormwater management projects.
  • Facilitated the installation of the final hoophouse poly.
Planned:
  • Offering a Crop Planning workshop with Rogue Farm Corps taught by Josh Volk.
  • Meeting with the Equity Team and getting caught up on equity homework.
  • Developing language for signage stating the farm is not for public access without appointment.
Headwaters Farm Stuart Moeller
Completed:
  • Helped affix metal siding onto the gable end of the wash station.
  • Assisted in the hoophouse poly attachment and did the finish work to secure loose ends of plastic.
  • Built and installed the risers in the new hoophouse.
Planned:
  • Weed management mostly with the flail mower.
  • Working on setting up the auxiliary wash station.