Activity Report for the Period 4/1/2019 – 4/12/2019

East Multnomah Soil and Water Conservation District
Jay Udelhoven
  • External Engagement: Prepared for and attended Connect Conference where I hosted a District Managers’ (DM’s) Forum to discuss ways DMs can better communicate and exchange information; prepared for and attended OACD annual meeting to provide input on bylaws and support EMSWCD Board Members Gabrielle Rossi and Dianna Pope in their representation of EMSWCD.
  • Boards/Committees: Prepared for and hosted Budget Committee and Board meetings.
  • Policies/Planning/Budgeting: Discussed and agreed upon with the management team Version 3 of FY19-20 Budget.
  • Supervision/Leadership: Completed 6-month employee performance evaluation; met with staff (1x1) and management team.
  • Program Implementation: Met with Multnomah County to discuss possible uses of rural parcel near Headwaters Farm; met with urban farmer and staff to discuss conservation practices; followed up with the City of Portland regarding urban farming regulation and industrial site engagement; met with NAYA and EMSWCD Board Director Till to discuss the NAYA property; met with landowners near Headwaters Farm to discuss possible acquisition of their property.
  • External Engagement: Follow up with DMs from DM Forum.
  • Boards/Committees: Prepare for board and budget committee meetings.
  • Policies/Planning/Budgeting: Continue work on fiscal policies and procedures and personnel policies.
  • Supervision/Leadership: Meet with staff (1x1) and management team.
  • Program Implementation: Complete agreement with Indigo Farms for use of office for flower CSA pickup; follow up with program supervisors and the City of Portland regarding urban farming regulation and industrial site engagement; follow up with NAYA, CSWC, and the City of Portland regarding potential demonstration project at NAYA; follow up with the watershed councils regarding SPA meeting; follow up with landowners near Headwaters Farm to discuss possible acquisition of their property.
Program Supervision / Finance & Budget Dan Mitten
  • Attended: Budget Committee Meeting #2, presented changes to the draft budget with program staff and ED; Board Meeting, presented Financial Reports and draft policy change for salary and wage determination; Management Team Meeting; end of introductory period performance review with ED; 3rd follow-up DEI session at CEI. Held 1X1 with F&O staff.
  • Budget: Coordinated Budget Committee #2 Agenda, attachments, and meeting packet with ED and program managers. Prepared Financial Reports for April 1st Board meeting.
  • Financial: Prepared draft Salaries & Wages policy. Worked with bookkeeper on payroll processing for March. Submitted OSGP retirement plan contributions for month of March. Monitored receivables, payables, and bank balances. Inititated transfers. Reviewed processed checks.
  • Completed research of EMSWCD Boundary, specifically on the Willamette. Reported findings and conclusions to ED. Worked with Marketing & Media Manager on setting up Branding & Identity Guide Assets in company drive.
  • Met with Clay Anderson, EMSWCD's Benefits Broker, and reviewed benefits, comparisons, and renewal options. Reviewed and provided input on FSA Master Application.
  • Will continue to monitor and analyze FY18-19 budget vs. actuals.
  • Incorporate recommended changes to draft budget. Prepare agenda, attachments, legal notice and resolutions for Budget Committee Meeting #3 on May 6th.
  • Review public contracting types, templates, and use-case scenarios for each & discuss with ED. Look into attending public contracting training.
  • Will meet and discuss findings and recommendations on benefits options with ED.
  • Will coordinate with benefit's broker, office manager, and ED to implement FSA program.
Office Management Lindsay Nelson
  • Lindsay was at the CONNECT Conference for the latter portion of this reporting period.
  • Daily and weekly operational duties: handling incoming and outgoing mail, processing invoices, sending out payments, IT support; answering phone calls, responding to emails, interacting with the public, and ordering supplies.
  • Set up, recorded and took minutes for the Budget Committee and Board of Directors meeting for April. Spent time coordinating an Ad-Hoc Committee meeting.
  • Started Board and Budget Committee meeting minutes, completed Budget Committee meeting minutes. Sent out Legal Public Notice for Budget meeting #3. Checked shared calendar reservations and added more Board and Land Legacy Committee meetings to the next fiscal year.
Facilities Management Scot Wood
  • We settled on a new cleaning company that started this last weekend. So far much better than the last. I also removed the interior storm windows for the warmer months.
  • The hoop house trellising is done!! I took some hazardous waste to Metro-Oregon City. This was the last of the disposal cleanup from Mainstem.
  • The woodstove at Oxbow has been removed and the roof patched prior to closing.
  • I will be meeting with a concrete contractor to get a quote for the cost of cutting and replacing the concrete needed if we should move forward with the EV charging station as well as getting a quote for replacing the front steps.
  • I will be doing some upgrades to the wash stations per suggestions from the farmers.
Marketing & Media Alex Woolery
  • Helped hold down the fort while staff were at CONNECT: took and directed calls and messages, forwarded emails, met front office visitors. Caught up on a lot of outstanding items.
  • Website: Edited, selected photos for and published Whitney's 8th Nature Notes entry. Updated Wordpress and plugins. Worked on developing and publishing Open House event content with Monica, and worked on developing new Land Conservation content with Matt, including new profiles of land conservation success stories. Developing changes to workshop registration format.
  • Worked with TeamLogic to investigate and solve scan-to-email issues
  • Materials: Developed drafts of new Open House postcard. Worked with Rowan on drafting new outdoor signs for Headwaters.
  • Attended Bike More Challenge Team Captain training.
  • Continue working with Matt on developing and finalizing draft Land Conservation content.
  • Materials: work on next drafts of Open House postcard, on Headwaters signage, and with Urban Lands team on new brochure materials and templates.
  • Press release and potential outreach on sale of land.
  • Attend and document Wildlife workshop at the Columbia Grange, help with setup and breakdown.
Program Management Julie DiLeone
  • Drafted ODA quarterly report.
  • Check in meetings with Rural Lands staff.
  • Heading to the CONNECT conference April 9th - 11th.
  • Sandy River Delta Partners meeting on April 16th.
  • Finish ODA report.
Rural Water Quality Aaron Guffey
  • Aaron was on vacation during this reporting period.
StreamCare Lucas Nipp
  • Lucas was at the CONNECT conference for the latter portion of this reporting period.
Technical Assistance Jeremy Baker
  • Jeremey was at the CONNECT conference for the latter portion of this reporting period.
Weed Management Chris Aldassy
  • Chris was at the CONNECT conference for the latter portion of this reporting period.
Weed Management Jon Wagner
  • I finished and we posted a brush pile illustration. I finished a revised storyboard of an activity book. I outreached and planned spring garlic mustard work.
  • I attended a science communication conference call Science Talk.
  • Attended CONNECT.
  • Give a wildlife presentation.
  • Water quality sampling and wildlife survey.
Outreach & Education Chelsea White-Brainard
  • Was on vacation from March 28th through April 8th..
  • Attended CONNECT Conference from April 9th through the 11th.
  • Prepare for and coordinate our first ever wildlife workshop, April 17th at the Columbia Grange, 6 - 8. Presented by Jon Wagner.
  • Plan 4-County CWMA (Cooperative Weed Management Area) Field Day, which will be held in east county and Gresham this year and feature the Dianna Pope Natural Area at Headwaters Farm.
  • Plan and promote upcoming Mud and Manure workshop.
Program Management Kathy Shearin
  • Kathy was at the CONNECT conference for the latter portion of this reporting period.
Technical Assistance Whitney Bailey
  • Attended MCDD Annual Landowner meeting.
  • Posted Nature Notes 8.
  • Provided Tech Assist on a variety of topics.
  • Attended OCEAN CONNECT Conference.
Outreach & Education Monica McAllister
  • Attended Living Cully Community Walking Group, City of Gresham Green Business Happy Hour, MCDD Annual Landowner Meeting, East County Caring Community Meeting- Earth Month Focus.
  • Meeting #2 for Nadaka Visioning Committee. Meeting with Voz about Metro Grant and Partnership for workshops.
  • Attended Vive NW and Sandy River Watershed Council Bilingual (Spanish) Tree Planting Event (April 6th).
  • Attended the CONNECT Conference in Sunriver Tuesday - Thursday.
  • Worked on Open House and Garden Event.
Outreach & Education Katie Meckes
  • Attended the CONNECT Conference.
  • Naturescaping Workbook edits and stormwater chapter updates/edits.
  • Prepare Powerpoint for Metro Green Team presentation on Earth Day
  • Review internship applications.
Outreach & Education Brandi Boersma
  • Spring Workshops: ongoing management and communications with hosts and participants. Verified all audio/video equipment reservations and restocked supplies. Special outreach for Gresham resulted in FULL registration. Submitted Article to Troutdale Champion. Finalized last details for this Sunday's Spanish Pollinators Workshop.
  • Fall Workshops: requested presenter fall availability, updated master contacts list and prepped for fall host recruitment.
  • Events: attended Humboldt Neighborhood Association Meeting. Research and finalizing calendar of outreach events. Conservation Corner Open House planning. Working with Humboldt Neighborhood Association to plan meetings.
  • Data/Web: Contacted Survey winners and sent two $50 gift certificates, prepped Spring 2018 Survey, scheduled social media posts, attendance documentation, imported contacts into MailChimp, began entering workshop demographics survey data, working with Alex and Katie on workshop registration waiver.
  • Spanish Pollinators Workshop April 14th at Leach with JCWC.
  • Entering demographic data from workshop surveys, spring workshop management, fall workshop prep.
Program Management Andrew Brown
  • Assisted Matt with finalizing documentation for the closing of Oxbow closing and easement.
  • Worked on site plans for various projects at Headwaters.
  • Attended CONNECT conference, including hosting three climate change related sessions.
  • Finalize the draft 5-year EMSWCD strategic plan for internal discussion. Compile the quarterly report for the third quarter of FY19-20.
  • Assist Rowan with materials for the permitting and procurement of the equipment shed and other works projects at the farm.
  • Pursue Headwaters solar installation options and procurement.
Grants Suzanne Easton
  • Presented PIC 2019 recommendations at Budget meeting, approved at Board meeting with addition of one grant award. Notified all applicants of results.
  • Met with Monica to explore ways our respective work can complement one another's.
  • Vacation and attended CONNECT conference.
  • PIC 2019: Continue contracting; issue press release.
  • Attending Intertwine Summit.
  • Attend SPA meeting.
Land Legacy Matt Shipkey
  • Closed on sale of Oxbow, retention of working farmland easement interest and acquisition of option for additional working farmland easement.
  • Led Land Legacy Committee Meeting.
  • Led effort to make ask of Metro for farmland protection funding.
  • Provided testimony on funding the Oregon Agricultural Heritage Program.
  • Additonal outreach on Metro and OAHP funding.
  • Advance several land conservation opportunities.
  • Finalize website edits for review.
Headwaters Farm Rowan Steele
  • Rowan was at the CONNECT conference for the latter portion of this reporting period.