Activity Report for the Period 2/25/2018 – 3/8/2018

East Multnomah Soil and Water Conservation District
Jay Udelhoven
  • External Engagement: Attended Multnomah County Farm Bureau meeting; met with Kearns & West staff for catch up after 2017 strategic planning meeting; discussed priorities for COLT with COLT board member for purposes of their strategic planning.
  • Boards/Committees: Prepared for and hosted board and budget committee meeting.
  • Policies/Planning/Budgeting: Continued budget development.
  • Supervision/Leadership: Met with organizational consultant; met with staff (1x1) and management team.
  • Program Implementation: Met with BES and staff regarding urban farming and water quality enforcement; met with partners and staff at NAYA to discuss potential demonstration project; participated in PIC Committee meeting; met with Multnomah County Sustainability Director to discuss the future of the county’s CROPS program in Troutdale.
  • External Engagement: Participate in NRCS-WMSWCD-EMSWCD monthly working lands meeting; attend Multnomah Grange meeting to discuss engagement.
  • Boards/Committees: Follow up from board and budget committee meetings.
  • Policies/Planning/Budgeting: Continue work on fiscal policies and procedures and personnel policies.
  • Supervision/Leadership: Meet with organizational consultant; meet with staff (1x1) and management team.
  • Program Implementation: Meet with urban farmer and staff to discuss conservation practices; follow up with the City of Portland regarding urban farming regulation and industrial site engagement; follow up with NAYA, CSWC, and the City of Portland regarding potential demonstration project at NAYA.
Program Supervision / Finance & Budget Dan Mitten
  • Completed 1st draft of budget for budget commmittee meeting #1 on March 4th. Completed Budget Agenda, Budget Message, and submitted 1st draft copy of budget committee packet to TSCC after published on EMSWCD site.
  • Attended Budget Committee Meeting # 1. As Budget Officer, presented the budget message and detailed General Fund Resources, Expenditures, and F&O program detailed budget. Program Managers presented their programs to committee.
  • Worked with bookkeeper on payroll processing for February. Submitted OSGP retirement plan contributions for month of February.
  • Prepared and presented Financial Reports at the Board of Directors Meeting held on March 4th.
  • Attended 1st follow-up DEI workshop session at CEI.
  • No proposed changes were suggested by the Budget Committee. Details of the larger expenses will be provided to the Committee prior to Meeting #1 on April 1st. Will provide updated budget as well as detailed information for Budget Committee.
Office Management Lindsay Nelson
  • Provided support for the PIC Review Committee meeting for two days.
  • Set up, recorded and took minutes for Budget Committee and Board of Directors meetings for March.
  • Daily and weekly operational duties: handling incoming and outgoing mail, processing invoices, sending out payments, IT support; answering phone calls, responding to emails, interacting with the public, and ordering supplies.
  • Completing Budget Committee, Board, and LLC meeting minutes.
  • Sending Legal Public Notice for Budget Committee meeting.
Facilities Management Scot Wood
  • Due to the recent snowy and icy weather, I put down a fair amount of ice melt.
  • I have been finishing up a few winter farm tasks as well as getting some organization done in the barn.
  • As I haven't yet met with the concrete contractor on the possible EV charging station work, I hope to do that soon.
  • Presumably, Stuart (who is back for the 2019 farming season!), Rowan and I will be running trellis wires in the hoop houses for farmers to trellis their tomatoes.
Marketing & Media Alex Woolery
  • Plant sale: wrapped up final plant sale work, updated both websites, answered questions and coordinated to help customers with missing pots or seeds. Finalized accounting for refunds and fees. Closed down the plant sale website - until next year!
  • Social Media / Website: two new front page posts. Edited and published new farmer-submitted blog piece, edited other farmer-submitted pieces. Several updates for Board and Committee meetings, staff etc. Promoted Headwaters blog, videos, Headwaters tour with Representative Earl Blumenauer, workshops and updates, partner events, invasive weeds content and more.
  • Analytics: worked on repairing issues with workshop demographic tool, fixed the problem with the most current season demographics workbook and identified issues with previous versions.
  • IT: assistance with laptops, projector setup, software and drivers, subscriptions, peripheral devices and connections, print questions and issues. Worked with TeamLogic on wireless, email and calendar issues.
  • Coordination on material printing, quotes, options and billing.
  • Finalize set of corollary assets for the Branding and Identity Guide.
  • Work with IT contractor and Microsoft as necessary to resolve email and calendar issues.
  • Continue work on the Marketing Plan.
  • Help promote workshops, events and EMSWCD services.
  • Work on materials: framed poster, brochures. Look at material stock and assess what needs to be updated, replaced or restocked.
Program Management Julie DiLeone
  • Met with engineer, Jeremy and Rowan at Mainstem Farm to discuss options for erosion prevention.
  • Site visit with urban farmers to discuss erosion.
  • Check in meetings with Rural Lands staff.
  • Sandy Ag Water Quality Biennial Reveiew on March 13th.
  • Attending an ODA/DEQ meeting to discuss utilizing water quality data collected by SWCDs and others.
  • Sandy River Basin Partners meeting preparation.
Rural Water Quality Aaron Guffey
  • Aaron has been working offsite and was unable to submit a report.
StreamCare Lucas Nipp
  • StreamCare planting for this year is complete. 42,450 plants were installed on 17 sites including at Mainstem Farm, Oxbow Farm and the Sturm Property. It was the most miserable weather for planting season encountered in my tenure at this organization, but like the post office, we were not deterred by sideways snow, rain, and freezing wind.
  • I attended the Columbia Gorge Cooperative Weed Management Area's Invasive Species and Exotic Pest Workshop.
  • I will begin water conservation sprays (ring sprays) on StreamCare sites next week. Forty seven sites are slated to be visited for this purpose over the next few months as weather allows. This will be dominating my work schedule for the near future.
  • I will begin incorporating receieved edits into the Dianna Pope Natural Area Site Conservation Plan Annual Update.
  • I will continue investigating and preparing options for long term protection of StreamCare sites.
Technical Assistance Jeremy Baker
  • Hosted and attended the Oregon Conservation Partnership meeting.
  • Participated in a webinar - "Expect the Unexpected: Fire Management Challenges and Opportunities in a Changing Climate" put on by OSU Extension with assistance from the Nature Conservancy. I learned a great deal about the existence of prescribed burn associations and fire councils.
  • Site visit with a grower to discuss farm management and begin planning for possible installation of hoop houses for year round vegetable production.
  • Meet with engineer and farm managers out at Mainstem to determine best coarse of action to maintain proper drainage without an increase in erosion.
  • Responded to an email request for technical assistance in Corbett. Set up a site visit at the end of the month to help landowners address mud, standing water and erosion issues in the stable as well as treating some tansy in their pasture.
Weed Management Chris Aldassy
  • I presented on Integrated Pest Management to a group of facilities managers from large faith based camps from across the U.S and Canada at Menucha.
  • I presented on the Post Eagle Creek Fire invasives work, the results of our work, and our partnerships regarding that work to the CGCWMA Invasive Species and Exotic Pest Workshop.
  • Finalizing permits and agreements with our public agency partners: ODOT, USFS, and OPRD.
  • Control work on winter weeds as weather allows.
  • Maintenance on restoration sites. Control of tree ivy as weather allows.
  • Mapping and monitoring, and survey for garlic mustard should begin.
Weed Management Jon Wagner
  • I finished making and preparing my wildlife presentation.
  • Chris and I finished winter planting.
  • I attended the annual invasive species and exotic pest workshop.
  • I will collect monthly water quality samples and wildlife surveys.
  • I will outreach spring work. I will work on draft of activity book. I will begin spring weed outreach.
  • Chris and I will continue winter spurgle laurel control, ivy control and weed surveys.
Outreach & Education Chelsea White-Brainard
  • Promoted and coordinated the wildlife workshop, which has been rescheduled due to snow from March 6th to April 17th. Provided feedback on both Jon's wildlife presentation and Chris' weeds and wildfire presentation.
  • Equity: Met with Kirk Fatland, Equity Committee chair of Columbia Slough Watershed to discuss DEI work. Met with Ping Khaw of Ping Khaw Services International to discuss her CELs program (Community Engagement Liaisons). Met with the Equity Team and separately with the Planning Working Group. Attended webinar: "The Stories We Don't Tell About People of Color in the Outdoors."
  • Wrote guest blog post about StreamCare for Sandy River Watershed Council's website.
  • Attend CWMA general and steering committee meetings.
  • Continue making progress on Equity Plan. Attend Racial Equity and Partnerships workshop through Metro.
  • Finish content for StreamCare section of interpretive kiosk at Glenn Otto Park.
Program Management Kathy Shearin
  • Meet with MHCC Steering committee.
  • Met with NAYA, Portland Parks, BES, and CSWC to discuss possible partnership.
  • Met with Organizational consultants.
  • Reviewing Native Plants web tool.
  • Reviewing and making edits to new Naturescaping workbook chapter.
  • Helping to prepare for the CSWC Annual Gala.
  • Drafting support letter for Solve Pest Problems web tool.
Technical Assistance Whitney Bailey
  • Conducted site visit in Gresham for CLIP rain garden inquiry.
  • Attended "Soaking It In" stormwater workshop for professionals at Clackamas Community College Environmental Learning Center.
  • Signed Fairview riparian restoration CLIP project. Finalized bike shed ecoroof contract.
  • Supervised removal of Tree of Heaven stems in back parking lot.
  • Finalized planting details with Friends of Trees for Saturday, March 9th.
  • CLIP team meeting next week.
  • Short naturescaping presentation for condo association March 20th.
Outreach & Education Monica McAllister
  • Meeting with East County Partners about overlap and collaboartion on upcoming tabling and event opportunities. Met David from Intertwine about intersection of various sectors for new initiatives at Intertwine such as RX Play, Green Schools, and advocacy for more conservation efforts.
  • Equity Team Meeting, Equity Work Group Meeting, research on additional community needs assessments, Urban Renewal Areas in our district, reviewing EMSWCD Equity Plan, Statement, and additional documents.
  • Worked on Community Connections Liaison's Work Plan. How Urban Lands Annual Work Plan and Personal Work Plan intersect.
  • Finalizing Community Meetings, Events, and gatherings to attend as EMSWCD Repesentative including potential Nadaka Visioning Meetings.
  • Reading and assessing various organization's Equity Plans and statements. Working on our organization's Equity Plan.
  • Meetings: East County Caring Community, meeting with Keoki about Equity and Sustainability initiatives, Columbia Slough Gala.
Outreach & Education Katie Meckes
  • Meetings: Met with MHCC staff to provide addional guidance on the Salmon Safe Outreach Plan. Also met with East County Outreach Partners to identify & prioritize upcoming outreach events for collaboration and sharing resources.
  • Attended "Soaking It In", a workshop on stormwater management in the landscape for professionals.
  • Updated the Edible Landscape workshop presentation, and made formats to new handouts/materials.
  • Reviewing Virtual Tour website for accuracy, language, features, maps, etc. Providing feedback and suggestions for improving user experience.
  • Met with UL outreach staff to plan an Open House at Conservation Corner in place of Yard Tour.
  • Begin recruitment for part-time hire.
  • Finish draft lawn removal pamphlet so we can send it along with reprinting the Naturescaping, Rain Garden and Native Plant pamphlets.
  • Deliver Native Plants for Habitat and Water Conservation presentation at Cully Association of Neighborhoods meeting next week.
  • Continue Virtual Tour Website review & feedback.
Outreach & Education Brandi Boersma
  • Fix-it-Fair.
  • Workshop management and communications. Community outreach and culturally-specific workshop meetings.
  • Yard Tour/Open House Discussions.
  • ADA updates to webpage.
  • Workshop management, outreach and communications.
Program Management Andrew Brown
  • Andrew was on vacation and unable to submit a report.
Grants Suzanne Easton
  • 2019 PIC: Held meetings of Review Committee over two days to review and rank the 2019 applications; follow-up research on questions raised in the review; start to prepare recommendations for April board meeting.
  • Equity: Attended Equity Team meeting; met with Laura and Chelsea about board engagement; worked on possible budget items for FY19/20 budget.
  • Attended and presented at budget meeting.
  • 2019 PIC: Continue final review and prepare recommendation for April Board meeting.
  • Attend Metro DEI workshop.
  • Attend Equity Team meeting, work on internal continuing education and training.
Land Legacy Matt Shipkey
  • Substantive progress on Oxbow closing items.
  • Completed successful Farm Succession Planning workshop.
  • Submitted and secured acceptance for presentation at Land Camp.
  • Helped advance two Natural Areas projects.
  • Completed revisions to draft farm sublease document.
  • Substantively complete Oxbow baseline documentation materials.
  • Prepare for March Land Legacy Committee meeting.
  • Mainstem septic replacement contract executed.
Headwaters Farm Rowan Steele
  • Organized an Orchard Restoration Workshop at Mainstem Farm.
  • Coordinated a bulk-purchase of fertilizers and amendments for the HIP farmers.
  • Met with Rural Lands staff and a stormwater engineer at Mainstem Farm to discuss stormwater management options.
  • Offering a Tractor Training to HIP farmers.
  • Presenting season extension practices and tools to the Lents International Farmers Market group organized by Zenger Farms.
  • Working on a Food Safety Plan for Headwaters Farm.
Headwaters Farm Stuart Moeller
  • Helped run trellis wires on the hoophouse trusses.
  • Filled potholes and conducted maintenance to the driveways.
  • Worked with the Headwaters Farm Program Manager on upcoming tasks and what happened during his winter hiatus.
  • Conducting a percolation test and setting perennial grass seed at Mainstem Farm
  • Protecting the stormwater French drain with fabric cover.
  • Installing weed barrier around the solar array for the aerated compost system.