Activity Report for the Period 3/16/2020 – 3/27/2020

East Multnomah Soil and Water Conservation District
Andrew Brown
  • Andrew Brown, EMSWCD's Conservation Legacy Program Supervisor, is currently serving as Interim Executive Director in the interim. See his report here.
Program Supervision / Finance & Budget Dan Mitten
  • Continued to modify processes and operations in response to COVID-19 Pandemic with creating accounts for and installing teleconferencing technologies, work-from-home capabilities, social distancing, and repeated facility cleanings. Coordinated with F&O staff the imminent shut down of the office to the public and majority of staff working remotely to allow continuation of operational capabilities.
  • Modified Budget Committee Meeting #2 to a virtual meeting. Modified legal public notice to reflect that it is a virtual meeting only and how the public can access and participate if desired.
  • Worked with Bookkeeper on creating ability to process payables and payroll remotely all the while maintaining proper approval and authorizations as well as maintaining thorough documentation.
  • Help collate the organizational values graffiti charts with other team members.
  • Help process March payroll and submitted retirement contributions remotely.
  • Received employee benefit renewal documents and comparisons from Office Manager and Broker.
  • Will continue to modify and investigate other tehcnologies and processes to accommodate Governor Brown's Executive Order 20-12 to keep staff home as well as able to work effectively from a remote location.
  • Will review and obtain electronic versions of invoices from recurring vendors and encourage staff to obtain and submit inoices electronically.
  • Will continue to process payables and payroll remotely until ability to come into the office and work face-to-face with bookkeepers is allowed. Will review with Board and ask permission to submit payment to vendors online rather than physical checks.
  • Will continue to help coordinate distillation of value statements and summeries to contribute and present/discuss at all-staff meeting.
  • Will review employee benefit packages and renewal options and provide recommendation to IED for decision.
Office Management Lindsay Nelson
  • Lindsay has been on vacation for most of this reporting period, and worked remotely to fulfill some essential duties.
Facilities Management Scot Wood
  • I have removed the Indo Windows in prep for the warmer temps. I also did what I could to get the office building ready for the stay at home order issued by the governor.
  • I have been, within the confines of good social distancing, going about the farm assisting where I can on getting the farm ready for the growing season. Farmers and farms are, more than ever, essential to our local economy.
  • I will be working from home, as will the rest of the staff. I will be getting caught up on those tasks that have languished due to other pressing facilities matters.
  • I will be working apart from the farmers and staff to continue to move forward the conversion of the shop. The solar panel project is moving right along even with the restrictions of social distancing.
Marketing & Media Alex Woolery
  • While most staff were out of office, took time to wipe hard drives of old seven stations and two laptops. They are now ready to donate. Also reorganized tech cabinet equipment by type and pulled extra materials to donate. Cleaned up and consolidated old hardware and components, organized office shelves and cleared.
  • Coronavirus response: assisted with editing and updating public messaging, social media and website updates, logistics regarding coronavirus response. Held down fort with Dan for several days while most staff were out of office. Ongoing assistance to staff with VPN and remote access issues, and related technical questions. Created and distributed various documentation on configuring and troubleshoting VPN/remote access.
  • Assistance with formatting and updates related to workshops page. Discussion with Urban Lands team on workshops, social media and changes to the Yard Tour event.
  • Teleconferenced with 8 communications staff from organizations in COLT to discuss social media, event and outreach strategies, and internal/external messaging.
  • Began checking the Russian translations of the Great Gorge Adventure activity book created by Jon and Chelsea, examining for correct meaning, context and language level.
  • Ongoing assistance: help with messaging, and website updates and functionality related to coronavirus response. Assist staff and board with remote access and teleconferencing as any issues or questions arise.
  • Signage/materials: update some existing draft designs and create draft Rain Garden signage.
  • Assist with social media, website, content and outreach for Yard Tour.
  • Finish checking Russian translations.
  • Various updates and additions to website.
Program Management Julie DiLeone
  • Began working as our Temporary Interim ED on March 11th.
  • One day later the COVID19 changes began, with the building closed as of March 23rd.
  • Helping staff deal with the pandemic. All have been very patient with the process and are focused on getting as much done as we can.
  • Working to get materials for the Board meeting out.
  • Land Legacy remote meeting.
Rural Water Quality Aaron Guffey
  • Aaron has been on leave for most of this reporting period.
StreamCare Lucas Nipp
  • I completed all spring maintenance spraying on StreamCare sites. One hundred and seventy one acres treated in total.
  • With the help of Julie and Chelsea, I completed an informational write up for the Board on next steps for StreamCare and the analysis that informed the decision of which watersheds to enter next.
  • I chaired the remote Columbia Gorge Cooperative Weed Management Area Meeting and attended the remote Beaver Creek Conservation Partnership Meeting.
  • I will be working from home part time until COVID-19 restrictions end.
  • I am assisting Chelsea to create outreach materials to support StreamCare outreach. It was planned for early May but has been pushed back to mid-May at least for the time being.
  • I have several StreamCare Cooperative Agreements to execute for landowners to sign that will be joining the Program.
  • I will do my equity homework.
Technical Assistance Jeremy Baker
  • Jeremy was unable to complete a report for this work period.
Weed Management Chris Aldassy
  • Out controlling shiny geranium along trailsides in the gorge, and verifying noxious weed reports.
  • Finalizing contracts and lining up contractors for upcoming field season.
  • Coordinating upcoming field work with Friends of the Gorge staff.
  • Taking vacation.
  • I plan on attending the invasive species and exotic pest workshop.
  • Maybe some DEI reading and discussion.
Weed Management Jon Wagner
  • I have been working on a guidelines document.
  • I researched copyright rules for the activity book.
  • I have been organizing photos and files and getting everything off of the desktop of my computer into the appropriate place on the T-drive.
  • I have been working with Chris to prioritize and plan possible field work.
  • I will continue to work to develop guidelines for field work.
  • I will create a recording of the wildlife workshop for online distribution.
  • Hopefully, I will begin garlic mustard field work.
Outreach & Education Chelsea White-Brainard
  • I contracted with IRCO to translate The Great Gorge Adventure activity/coloring book into Vietnamese, Spanish, and Russian.
  • We are rolling out StreamCare in two new watersheds this year; Bonnie Brook and Buck Creek. I’m designing a mailer to reach out to these new potential StreamCare landowners. Mailer will be heavy on infographics and photos this year.
  • Equity: Hired Ruby Shirazi with (re)solution lab to take a look at the Executive Director job description with an eye towards creating an inclusive, welcoming description that will attract a diverse applicant pool. The Equity Team also edited it for the same purpose and met virtually to discuss. My small equity discussion group also met to talk about our topic for the month, which was education.
  • I am working on updating The Great Gorge Adventure with translated text in Vietnamese, Spanish, and Russian. I'm reformatting for different text lengths and working with Jon to make adjustments to the drawings as needed.
  • Finalize StreamCare mailer. Adapt outreach plan to reflect new circumstances with COVID 19. Promote StreamCare among partner organizations, including a guest blog post on the Sandy River Watershed Council website.
  • Adapt next steps on Equity Plan to respect social distancing measures. Continue to work with consultants to refine the Executive Director job description. Continue individual awareness building and group learning through small discussion groups.
Program Management Kathy Shearin
  • Kathy was unable to submit a report for this period.
Technical Assistance Whitney Bailey
  • Presented one hour rain garden workshop at Floyd Light Middle School Fix-it Fair; scheduled two more and in planning for a third.
  • Submitted and received approval for CLIP funding for an ivy removal and native plant restoration project on Johnson Creek
  • Responded to technical assistance requests regarding rain garden construction, sources for materials, placement of trees in relation to utilities, installing swales, pollinator gardens, stormwater collection, and lesser celandine control.
  • Closed out technical assistance survey and issued gift certificate to raffle winner.
  • Attended UERC Symposium.
Outreach & Education Monica McAllister
  • Virtual Yard Tour.
  • Worked on Executive Director job description with Equity Team.
  • Worked on Organizational Values.
  • Working with Community Engagement Liaisons on Equity Plan/Survey.
  • Virtual Yard Tour/Facebook Group.
  • Virtual Meetings with Community Partners.
Outreach & Education Brandi Boersma
  • Held an informational interview with a Lewis and Clark Environmental Studies Senior.
  • Equity Team work: Executive Director job description review, meeting, and compilation of notes; Typed notes for last Equity Team Meeting; Facilitated Small Equity Group Discussion on Education via GoToMeeting; Reviewed resources on Volunterism.
  • Attended virtual Northeast Coalition of Neighborhoods Meeting and voted remotely on Humboldt Neighborhood Association matters.
  • Reached out to Language Line to determine a pricing quote for telephonic interpretation.
  • Attended a virtual training on GoToMeeting; reviewed other SWCD and partner organization's new online learning options; shared our current evaluations and surveys with other SWCD's as a part of a longer discussion.
  • Organizational values: completed draft statements for "Other" (Adaptability), "Clarity/Alignment" (Cohesion), and Accountability/Transparency.
Outreach & Education Rhesa Napoli
  • Met with Tualatin SWCD outreach personnel to give an overview of our workshop processes.
  • Participated in DEI small group discussion about Criminal Justice.
  • Prepared workshop materials bins for workshops. Notified hosts and participants of cancellations. Checked out Zoom and Gotomeeting platforms for online workshops.
  • We held four workshops before needing to cancel the remaining ones in March due to the CORVID pandemic.
  • Compile a template email for each workshop that includes handouts and resources.
  • Outreach for May workshops.
Program Management Andrew Brown
  • Andrew was on vacation and unable to submit a report.
Grants Suzanne Easton
  • Prepared 2020 PIC materials for Budget and Board meetings.
  • Worked with Equity Team on review of ED job description.
  • Sent email to grantees about impact of virus on projects and our willingness to be flexible on timelines and deliverab les. Fielded calls from grantees who need to change/cancel project elements.
  • Prepped for Equity discussion session.
  • Prepare for Budget/Board meeting presentation on PIC 2020.
  • Work with grantees on any project/contract modifications in light of COVID19 disruptions.
  • Work with internal Equity Team subcommittee. More prep for Equity discussion session. Work on demographic information.
Land Legacy Matt Shipkey
  • Packet and presentation prepared for March LLC meeting.
  • Gordon Creek Ag Management Plan drafted, easement revised.
  • Survey work in progress for easement donation transaction.
  • Manage Land Legacy Committee meeting.
  • If approved, advance new working farmland easement transaction.
  • Advance Gordon Creek disposition and conservation easement donation project.
Headwaters Farm Rowan Steele
  • Rowan was unable to submit a report for this work period.
Headwaters Farm Nick Pfeil
  • Installed, repaired, tested irrigation risers.
  • Performed maintenance and troubleshooting on both BCS tractors.
  • Worked to disinfect and sanitize common touch points around the farm.
  • Repairing wash station water valve.
  • Moving risers for the BCS wash station.
  • Using the discs and chisel plow to prepare fields for spring planting as weather allows.