Activity Report for the Period 11/30/2015 – 12/11/2015

East Multnomah Soil and Water Conservation District
Jay Udelhoven
  • Boards/Committees: Prepared for and hosted EMSWCD Board meeting; developed recommendations for improvement to the EMSWCD Board-related policies and procedures.
  • Partnerships: Continued work on partnership proposal with the watershed councils; presented proposal to EMSWCD board but referred back to me for additional work.
  • Program Implementation: Met with EcoTrust to discuss a possible ag-related PIC/+ grant.
  • Participated in interview for the Columbia Slough Watershed Council Executive Director; finalist was chosen and an offer was accepted.
  • Boards/Committees: Prepare for and host personnel committee meeting.
  • Partnerships: Improve upon and answer questions related to the watershed council partnership proposal.
  • Program Implementation: Finalize SCI grant-related materials; complete final draft of CLIP procedures.
Program Supervision / Finance & Budget Lissa Adams
  • Reviewed October financial data and prepared October financial reports for December board meeting.
  • Finished reviewing financial archives in board room and sorted into various boxes for storage or secure destruction.
  • Reviewed various documents including draft district history from Laura Foster and statement of work from marketing firm regarding nursery market research.
  • Set up meeting schedule and plan for organizational equity audit with Equity Team.
  • Get quote for additional life insurance coverage for staff.
  • Begin creating budget worksheets for FY16-17 budget.
Office Management Jed Arnold
  • Picked up and distributed staff branded gear.
  • Began soliciting quotes for a replacement of the (much despised) office multi-purpose copier.
  • Reviewed and updated board and committee records to ensure proper records of public notice and approved minutes were present.
  • Finish archived file work.
  • Work with branded gear to establish a timeline for delivery of backordered and missing items.
  • I plan to take about a weeks vacation around the holidays.
Facilities Management Scot Wood
  • The first Safety Committee meeting was a success! We have started working on an Emergency Action Plan (EAP) for the District.
  • The first Green Team meeting was also a success!
  • Work on the composting toilet is drawing to a close. Winterization of the wash station and irrigation has taken priority over the composting toilet.
  • Each Safety Committee member is going through the EAP information we have and making notes. We will then compile that information into a single easy to read, east to use document.
  • We will be looking into having an energy audit performed by Energy Trust of Oregon to see where we might make some improvements to the office building that will reduce our energy footprint.
  • Hopefully we will be able to run the vent stack and finally put the composting toilet into service.
Marketing & Media Alex Woolery
  • Created a draft template of a priority matrix to sort, organize and prioritize "one-off" projects for each of the program areas.
  • Continued development/testing of plant sale store. Updated plugin, reviewed changes with staff, and worked on interface/design elements and hard code changes. Finalized plant sale flier and sent to print, finalized plant sale mailer draft.
  • Compiled information on Rain Garden Incentive outreach with Erik: social media and postcard mailers accounted for majority of website traffic. Worked with OregonLive staff to optimize ads.
  • Worked with Chelsea to help promote Kim Galland's NRCS working group meeting at Columbia Grange; website post and social media.
  • Continue development and testing of plant sale store, with focus on identifying and addressing any bugs. Finalize mailer and send to print.
  • Finalize and populate marketing project priority matrix. Final edits and revisions to Marketing Plan.
  • Begin developing template for new Urban Lands outreach material series.
Information Technology Alex Woolery
  • Scheduled with Online Support for a follow-up session to test Surface3 connection/wireless protocol issues.
  • Assisted staff with hardware issues and web browser questions and settings.
  • Assisted staff with software installation.
  • Assist staff with network, software, printing etc. issues as necessary.
  • Remote session with Online Support to troubleshoot Surface3 tablet.
  • Follow up with staff to ensure Outlook issues are resolved.
Program Management Julie DiLeone
  • Reviewed 3 Oregon Watershed Enhancement Board small grants.
  • Got edits for Dianna Pope Natural Area Plan to Lucas and Weed Control Plan to Chris.
  • Advertise/distribute job announcement.
  • Attend Lower Columbia Partnership's Science Talk on sources of cold water for salmon ("cold water refugia").
  • Out of the office Dec 23-Jan 2.
Rural Water Quality Aaron Guffey
  • Presented for the board decision of next steps in the replacement of Diana Pope Natural Area stream culverts.
  • Responded to a landowner site visit request.
  • Work with the design consultant to acquire permitting for the Diana Pope Natural Area culvert replacement project, and then put the construction out for bid.
  • Work with staff to contract a marketing firm to conduct research for an erosion prevention campaign for the nursery industry.
  • Provide guidance in the design and construction of stormwater management features at Headwaters Farm.
StreamCare Lucas Nipp
  • I received 4,050 live cuttings of willow and dogwood, but the installation on StreamCare sites in Smith, Beaver, and Johnon Creeks got postponed due to flooding.
  • I have been working on the Rural Lands Revegetation/StreamCare Five Year Implementation Plan.
  • I conducted a site visit with a landowner on Beaver Creek who has a CLIP agreement to build a livestock exclusion fence. We are looking at some changes to the project. I did some rebudgeting.
  • A contract crew will be installing 4,050 live stakes seven sites in the Smith, Beaver, and Johnson Creek Watersheds.
  • I will be continuing work on the Rural Lands Revegetation/StreamCare Five Year Implementation Plan.
  • I will begin working on a plan for a Riparian Lands Tax Incentive Program agreement for a property on Smith Creek.
Weed Management Chris Aldassy
  • Worked on weed control Implementation plan first draft.
  • Conducted project site monitoring/mapping.
  • Planted willow stakes.
  • Made Implementation plan edits.
  • Attended 4 County CWMA herbicide forum.
  • Conduct Ivy control/survey.
  • Make further Implementation plan revisions.
  • Complete Annual Weeds Report.
  • Complete quarterly reporting.
Weed Management Jon Wagner
  • Planted willow stakes on a 4 acre restoration sight.
  • Wrote Best Management Practices (BMPs) for a few weeds, edited documents, organized new data and created shape files for sharing.
  • Performed outreach and site evaluations.
  • Conduct water quality sampling.
  • Conduct photo-point monitoring at weed control and restoration sights.
  • Perform Ivy survey.
Outreach & Education Chelsea White-Brainard
  • Promoted NRCS working group meeting through website, email, and social media.
  • Researched methods and planned Rural Lands messaging session.
  • Met with partners to begin planning Northwest Agricultural Show.
  • Attended Transformation Matters panel with Equity Team.
  • Develop contract with Pivot Group for market reasearch.
  • Facilitate Rural Lands messaging session.
  • Continue planning Northwest Agricultural Show and Rural Lands native plant workshop.
  • Work with Equity Team and Julie to improve equitable distribution of Conservation Technician position anouncement.
Program Management Kathy Shearin
  • Kathy is currently on vacation through 12/21.
Technical Assistance Erik Carr
  • Met with representatives from Oregon Food Bank and Columbia Slough Watershed Council to discuss future collaboration opportunities.
  • Provided Pollinators 101 presentation at St Aiden's Church in Gresham (via Ecumenical Ministries).
  • Attended CWMA Herbicide Forum and Oregon Community Trees board of directors meeting.
  • Met with neighbors of Buffalo Slough in NE Portland to discuss weed control and revegetation opportunities.
  • Host EPA Making A Visible Difference steering committee meeting to discuss East Portland/County collaboration opportunities.
  • Continued work on rain garden outreach strategy in East County.
  • Drafting updates to CLIP application and funding contract.
Outreach & Education Angela Previdelli
  • Attended East County Caring Community, a service-provider meeting in Gresham.
  • Attended an all-day training on working collaboratively from Learning Point.
  • Meet with Gresham's Rockwood community groups.
  • Site visit with potential new workshop host at Gresham's Main City Park.
  • Community meeting/activity with APANO and Gaylen from Backyard Habitat Program.
  • The Urban Lands team will be hosting the EPA's Making A Visible Difference Steering Committee Meeting.
Outreach & Education Lea Wilson
  • Roster prep and cancellations for LAST FALL workshop!
  • Began scheduling spring workshops; so far 12 workshops have been requested.
  • Updated short plant descriptions in the native plant slide show in preparation fo the native plant sale.
  • Conduct final planning for the removal of the two invasive trees with the neighboring apartment complex.
  • Continue to process spring workshop requests.
  • Update long descriptions and sourcing pictures for the plant sale website.
Program Management Andrew Brown
  • Produced a re-prioritization of the ag focal area parcels for guiding outreach by the Land Legacy Program.
  • Visited Oxbow farm with conservation legacy staff, and worked on outline of the Oxbow Farm options operational plan.
  • Worked on Headwaters 5 year plan.
  • Consolidated school and community garden data and produced published draft gardens web map.
  • Work on operational plan for the future use of Oxbow farm.
  • Work on and finalize Headwaters 5 year plan.
  • Revisit and develop content for Land Legacy program 5 year plan.
Land Legacy Rick McMonagle
  • Met with Portland Public Schools.
  • Toured Oxbow Farm with Andrew & Rowan.
  • Attended and presented at the Land Legacy Committee meeting.
  • Met with Kim Galland and local farmers to discuss conservation plans.
  • Attended Green Team and Safety Committee meetings.
  • Presenting at Rockwood PUD about potential land projects.
  • Touring Columbia Slough lands.
  • Beginning planning for Farm Succession workshops.
  • Drafting ALE Ag Land Easement Plan.
Grants Suzanne Easton
  • Continued to meet with PIC 2016 applicants and respond to questions via email and phone.
  • PIC grant Review Committee: contacted current members about PIC 2016 cycle, talking to candidates to fill vacant slots.
  • Prepared materials for Grants Committee meeting in January.
  • Attended 3rd in 3-part equity speakers series put on by the Oregon Environmental Council.
  • Responding to last minute questions on PIC applications, reviewing some draft narratives.
  • Processing PIC 2016 application - checking for completeness and entering information in the database.
  • Meeting with Metro and PIC grantee concerning delays in project.
Headwaters Farm Rowan Steele
  • Met with Andrew and Rick M. at Oxbow to evaluate the site for future use options and take soil samples.
  • Spent time updating the Headwaters Farm 5-Year Plan and the Farmer's Manual.
  • Worked on permitting future farm improvements with the Gresham Fire Department.
  • Conduct the majority of the end of year one-on-one farmer meetings.
  • Get CPR/First Aid certified.
  • Sort out land allocations for 2016.