Activity Report for the Period 10/29/2018 – 11/9/2018

East Multnomah Soil and Water Conservation District
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
ACTIVITIES
Jay Udelhoven
Completed:
  • External Engagement: Participated in OACD monthly meeting; participated in Lower Willamette Basin SWCD meeting; attended Multnomah County Farm Bureau meeting and discussed our approach to resource complaints; met with NRCS and WMSWCD regarding rural lands coordination.
  • Boards/Committees: Prepared for and hosted November Board meeting.
  • Policies/Planning: Finalized FY18-19 Annual Work Plan and FY18-19 1st Quarter Report; continued work on DEI plan, policy updates, and Oregon Equal Pay law compliance.
  • Supervision/Leadership: Prepared for and met with organizational consultants and began contract development; met with staff (1x1) and management team.
  • Program Implementation: Attended ODA Lower Willamette Management Area Ag Water Quality meeting.
Planned:
  • External Engagement: Host watershed councils to discuss the Strategic Partnership Agreement; attend OACD strategic planning meeting.
  • Boards/Committees: Meet with Zone 1 Candidate; prepare for and host annual meeting and December Board meeting.
  • Policies/Planning: Finalize FY17-18 Annual Progress Report; continue work on policy updates.
  • Supervision/Leadership: Meet with organizational consultants; meet with staff (1x1) and management team.
FINANCE & OPERATIONS
ACTIVITIES
Program Supervision / Finance & Budget Dan Mitten
Completed:
  • Attended: Equity Team meeting, management team meeting, plant sale meeting, kitchen redesign meeting.
  • Took a tour of the Rural Lands of East Multnomah and Headwaters Farm with Lindsay and Lucas.
  • Reviewed policies to be discussed at All Staff Meeting (Workplace Safety, Employee Annual Performance Review, and Professional Development). Reviewed 5 Year Marketing Plan draft.
  • Finalized Audit Materials, held call with Auditor and bookkeeper on open items and inquiries from the auditor. Prepared and submitted responses to Auditor's open item requests. Payroll processing for October, retirement plan contributions, reviewed monthly payroll, bank statement review.
  • Prepared and presented financials, F&O annual goals, and 1st quarter F&O results to Board of Directors at November 5th Board meeting.
Planned:
  • Will begin reviewing public contracting policies and requirements.
  • Will begin reviewing the draft investment policy created by previous CFO. Consider for Executive Director and Board review and possible submittal to State Treasury Department.
Office Management Lindsay Nelson
Completed:
  • Filed in personnel files, ordered supplies, sent out checks, ordered work jackets.
  • Compiled and sent out Board of Directors packet out, bought food for meeting, took minutes.
  • Spent some time researching t-shirts for plant sale, sent out t-shirt poll to staff. Researched conference tables . Continued to research work jackets.
  • Meetings: met with the Equity Team, Plant Sale meeting, met with Kathy and Chelsea to discuss open staff position. Spent time coordinating Equity Team meeting dates.
  • Went on a tour of Rural Lands with Lucas and Dan.
  • Created a Benefits Summary Sheet. Prepared envelopes for Emergency Response Information Forms.
  • Sent out job announcement for UL open position.
Facilities Management Scot Wood
Completed:
  • I worked with contracted plumber to first determine if we had a sewer line break, and then to get it repaired. All is good for now.
  • Rowan and I met with an electrician to "map out" where the best location and what type of frame work is needed for the solar panels that will power the fan motor for the forced air compost box system.
Planned:
  • Contracted plumbers will be coming back out to "jet out" the sewer line from our side of the sidewalk out towards the city's main sewer line.
  • Hopefully we will be able to get the structure built for the solar panels and forced air components.
Marketing & Media Alex Woolery
Completed:
  • Plant sale: researched many different options for plant sale platform, with details on hosting, plugins, server capacity, features, detailed cost analysis. Presented to plant sale team and followed up with a second version examining four final options. Picked a final platform.
  • Website: Board/Committee updates. PIC updates and reorganization/cleanup of pages. New job announcement. Front page posts for film screening, new job, PIC announcement, election notice.
  • IT: coordinated remaining work and delivery of equipment with staff and TeamLogic. Worked with TeamLogic and Infostructure on phone and network work: helped install two remaining phones, network switch, peripherals. Helped set up, test and document how to use conference phone. Rewired front desk and worked on cleaning up other station areas. Updated Windows on a staff computer.
  • Social media and outreach: several posts and cross-posts for workshops, PIC, partner events, elections, updates, job. Worked with Suzanne and Andrew on PIC email blast.
Planned:
  • Promote workshops, PIC grants, partner events etc. on social media. Continue outreach for PIC grants. Work on developing outreach materials and designs.
  • Organizational and IT support as necessary.
  • Begin work on selected plant sale plugin Shopify.
  • Finish work on Land Legacy posters.
RURAL LANDS
ACTIVITIES
Program Management Julie DiLeone
Completed:
  • Julie was unable to submit a report during this work period.
Rural Water Quality Aaron Guffey
Completed:
  • Aaron was unable to submit a report during this work period.
StreamCare Lucas Nipp
Completed:
  • Chelsea and I installed the interpretive sign in the Dianna Pope Natural Area.
  • I attended the Columbia Gorge Cooperative Weed Management Area meeting, the Western Invasives Network Steering Committee Meeting, and the Invasives 2.0 Meeting held by the City of Portland as a retrospective to ten years since its initial Invasive Plant Strategy.
  • I did a site visit with a landowner who was interested in enrolling in StreamCare. He isn't currently eligible but I provided him with technical assistance on blackberry control and grass/hay seeding.
Planned:
  • I will be taking Lindsay and Dan on a tour of the Rural Lands areas and projects, and also showing them Headwaters Farm and the Dianna Pope Natural Area.
  • Rowan and I are going to do a farm tour to discuss future pollinator plantings.
  • Jon and I will do the monthly water quality sampling.
Technical Assistance Jeremy Baker
Completed:
  • Jeremy was unable to submit a report during this work period.
Weed Management Chris Aldassy
Completed:
  • I had crews out to control Clematis vitalba in Troutdale.
  • I had crews out to control garlic mustard in Corbett.
  • Record keeping and invoicing USFS for gorge fire work.
Planned:
  • Garlic mustard fall control.
  • Presenting to the OISC regarding post fire partnerships, strategy, and successes.
  • Meeting with partners to discuss 2019 work.
Weed Management Jon Wagner
Completed:
  • I attended the Invasives 2.0 Summit and made comic notes.
  • I controlled 500 square meters of garlic mustard rossettes.
  • I planned fall and winter work. I worked on the 2018 Diana Pope Natural Area wildlife plan. I took storm water samples to the water quality lab.
Planned:
  • I will finish the annual wildlife report. I will work on illustrated activity book. I will outreach and plan for winter work. I will attend the Garlic Mustard Working Group meeting.
  • Water quality sampling.
  • Continue outreach surveys and control for garlic mustard and other fall weeds.
Outreach & Education Chelsea White-Brainard
Completed:
  • Installed the new interpretive sign in the DPNA (Dianna Pope Natural Area) at Headwaters with Lucas.
  • Started filming a video about Headwaters. I've been working on an outline, scheduling interviews, and getting B-roll footage of the farm.
  • Worked with Matt to plan and promote a screening of the film, Farmers for America. Film will be shown at the Columbia Grange on November 28th at 6:30pm. All are welcome.
Planned:
  • Continue to promote the screening of the film, Farmers for America.
  • Complete interviews for film about Headwaters.
  • Participate in the hiring of the Community Connection Liason for the Urban Lands Program.
URBAN LANDS
ACTIVITIES
Program Management Kathy Shearin
Completed:
  • Meetings: plant sale meeting, management team meeting, MHCC Steering Committee meeting, Equity Team meeting, EMSWCD board meeting.
  • Prepared recruitment documents for UL Community Connections Liaison position.
  • Attended City of Portland's Invasive plant strategy summit. Attended Solve Pest Problems steering committee.
  • Presented Weeds workshop at St Aiden's church.
Planned:
  • Attending Association of Professional Landscape Designers (APLD) Watershed Approach event.
  • Attending Climate Resiliency in the Sandy event.
Technical Assistance Whitney Bailey
Completed:
  • Attended: JCWC Science Symposium, UERC Lunch & Learn, CONNECT Team planning call, Benton SWCD Soil Solarization Workshop, Plant Sale meeting, webinar on: Lending to Landowners using Clean Water State Revolving Funds.
  • Tabled at MCDD's Peninsula Drainage District Annual Landowner Meeting.
  • Submitted 1st quarter reporting. Posted Nature Notes 6: Winter Gardening for Birds and Pollinators.
  • Coordinated 2nd quarter Green Street clean-up.
  • Continued work on Urban CLIP Eligibility GIS layers & mapping, invasives funding decision spreadsheet, and revisions to Rain Garden web content.
  • Provided tech assist regarding sheet mulching on a slope, plants for sunny and shady dry areas, CLIP funding. Drafted a Conservation Plan for a property practicing urban permaculture. Sent two rain garden signs.
  • Consulted with BES and Blossom regardung sewer line replacement & rain garden restoration/redesign.
Outreach & Education Katie Meckes
Completed:
  • Updated documentation to maintain Continuing Education Hours with Landscape Contractor Board for existing workshops and got approval for newest Landscaping with Edibles workshop. Workshop webpage updates.
  • Plant Sale planning, budgeting, final plant selection, tshirt planning, etc.
  • Met with Charlotte Towbridge from Tualatin SWCD share in-depth details of EMSWCD's workshop operation and management to support her workshop program development efforts.
  • Met with Sara and Kara from Sandy River Watershed Council to continue assisting with the development of a Clean Water Retrofit/Salmon Safe Project outreach plan.
Planned:
  • Meet with OMSI education staff to provide feedback on a water quality education demo as part of our contribution to support their NFWF grant.
  • Attend November Grant Butte Partnership meeting on November 14th.
  • Continue work on NSB Workbook chapter 5 overhaul.
  • Continue Plant Sale planning and assist with new store site testing.
  • Continue working with Whitney on Sheet Mulching outreach pamphlet.
Outreach & Education Brandi Boersma
Completed:
  • Updated workshop master contact list, put together available workshop dates for Spring by workshop type, entered all Fall completed workshops attendance and contacts into database, ongoing workshop outreach and communication with hosts and participants with special focus on Troutdale numbers.
  • Attended first plant sale meeting.
  • Completed my early term interview with Katie.
  • Working on remaking local sources of native plants handout.
CONSERVATION LEGACY
ACTIVITIES
Program Management Andrew Brown
Completed:
  • Compiled edits to the annual plan and finalized document for submission to the board. Worked on collating the EMSWCD annual report for FY17-18.
  • Compiled the quarterly report for the first quarter of FY18-19.
  • Assisted Suzanne with the PIC 2019 guideline materials and the online application ahead of going live with the online applications on November 1st.
  • Assisted Matt with advancing the Oxbow disposition and easement, and the Mainstem farm lease and ag management plan.
  • Completed EMSWCD property/building inventory for SDIS insurance.
Planned:
  • Completing the EMSWCD annual report for FY17-18. Work on advancing the 2018-2023 strategic plan document.
  • Participate in the HIP application review for the new 2019 cohort.
  • Assist Matt with advancing the Oxbow disposition and with the Mainstem ag management plan.
Grants Suzanne Easton
Completed:
  • Launched 2019 PIC cycle - ZoomGrants opened for applications. Updated postings on website, sent out email flyer to grant contact list and other partners. Met with and talked to prospective applicants.
  • Site visits: City of Portland - Wood Garden; ECO - Kingsly Bundy Park; AWL - Sandy River raft trip; Columbia Riverkeeper - Sandy River Delta; Grow Portland - Ventura Elementary School.
  • Coordinate with fellow grantmakers: Attended PEAK Northwest Fall meeting at MMT for Grant Managers; met with new Gray Family Foundation program officer.
  • Planning green workforce development grantee convening with Meyer Memorial Trust and Ecotrust staff.
Planned:
  • 2019 PIC - Respond to inquiries and meet with prospective applicants; finalize PIC Review Committee members for December board approval.
  • Meet with June Key Delta reps and Master Gardeners on November 16th to consider options for the Center's garden.
Land Legacy Matt Shipkey
Completed:
  • Matt was out of office and unable to submit a report.
Headwaters Farm Rowan Steele
Completed:
  • Coordinated the 2019 HIP application process (7 applications received).
  • Attended the National Incubator Farm Training Initiative’s Field School.
  • Met with Jeremy and a stormwater engineer to discuss projects at Headwaters Farm.
Planned:
  • Hosting an application review meeting.
  • Updating the Farmer’s Manual.
  • Working with Lucas to assess additional habitat development at Headwaters Farm.
Headwaters Farm Stuart Moeller
Completed:
  • Winterization, including bringing in Risers.
  • Conducted maintenance on farm implements.
  • Oversaw the farm while Farm Manager was out of town.
Planned:
  • Supporting the construction of the solar panel stand.
  • General cleanup and organization.
  • Other projects to wrap up his position for the season.