Activity Report for the Period 10/16/2017 – 10/27/2017

East Multnomah Soil and Water Conservation District
Jay Udelhoven
  • Served on jury duty and took time off.
  • External Engagement: Participate in the re-booted Oregon Agricultural Heritage Program task force (first of ~four planned meetings); participate on monthly call convened by the Oregon Association of Conservation Districts.
  • Boards/Committees: Nothing completed.
  • Policies/Planning/Budgeting: Prepped for board-staff planning retreat.
  • Supervision/Leadership/Training: Met with Equity Team and CEI to continue equity training and planning; met with staff 1x1 and management team.
  • Program Implementation: With staff, reviewed progress on a pending Land Legacy project.
  • External Engagement: Attend and present at Columbia Slough Watershed Committee monthly meeting; possibly attend Multnomah County Farm Bureau annual dinner.
  • Boards/Committees: Prepare for and host November 2017 Board meeting.
  • Policies/Planning/Reporting/Budgeting: Prepare for, host, and present at board-staff planning retreat.
  • Supervision/Leadership/Training: Participate in Equity Team meeting with the Center for Equity and Inclusion; meet with staff 1x1 and management team.
  • Program Implementation: Attend Corbett 4H meeting.
Program Supervision / Finance & Budget Lissa Adams
  • Lissa was out sick during this reporting period.
Office Management Lindsay Nelson
  • Conducted research on: new telephone/conferencing systems, mail meters.
  • Watched the assigned movie for the Equity Training.
  • Read the articles assigned from the Equity Team. Read the assigned pages from "Waking Up White" from Equity Team.
  • Started going through caninets to archive old documents.
  • Updating T-Shirt giveaway inventory & reordering.
  • Work on work plan and finalize quarterly report.
Facilities Management Scot Wood
  • I have set up appointments with a couple of contractors to get preliminary pricing for possible office building remodels.
  • Stuart and I laid and connected the new waterline from Orient Drive down to where we had stubbed it out last year during the culvert project.
  • I went out and cleaned off the roof and gutters in the wake of last Saturday's rain/wind storm. I found that a couple of trees are too close to the house and are in need of trimming.
  • I will be meeting with the contractors next week in advance of strategic planning.
  • We will be participating in the annual end of the year clean up and organization of the barn and property.
  • Per Andrew's request, I will be soliciting quotes from tree service companies to trim and cut back those trees.
Marketing & Media Alex Woolery
  • Continued promoting Headwaters Farm recruitment. PIC grants outreach preparation work including ads, website updates, developing and revising an email campaign. Met with Matt to discuss Ag outreach plan.
  • Worked with Chelsea and Katie to get some print materials quoted and/or printed. Promoted Urban Lands workshops. Created a new workshop with a custom registration form.
  • Helped staff and board with several IT, spam, DNS, software, network questions. Relayed some IT issues to Online Support. Front office support, took calls and relayed several phone messages while Lindsay was out of office.
  • Worked on strategic planning items.
  • Continue working on strategic planning; conduct a dry-run presentation with staff.
  • Strategic planning: attend 3-day session and present on Marketing program.
  • Begin plant sale planning and review.
  • Launch PIC Grant campaign, open applications and revise PIC grant website pages.
Information Technology Lissa Adams,
Jed Arnold,
Alex Woolery
  • Jed, Alex and Lissa responded to staff IT issues and questions as needed; see notes in their individual reports above.
  • Lissa and Alex will respond to staff IT issues and questions as needed.
Program Management Julie DiLeone
  • Julie was on vacation during this reporting period.
Rural Water Quality Aaron Guffey
  • Facilitated an erosion product demonstration at a local nusery in partnership with ACF West. There were 7 constituents in attendance representing 4 nurseries.
  • Facilitated a Listening Session Luncheon to get feedback to make EMSWCD services meaniful to the nursery industry. There were 6 constituents in attendance representing 4 nurseries.
  • Working with nurseries to fund, design, and install erosion control products to minimize erosion over the winter.
  • Worked on an Erosion Solutions design for a nursery.
  • Work with engineering consultants and Clackamas SWCD to create Erosion Solutions design for two nurseries.
  • Engage in the diversity, equity, and inclusion process EMSWCD staff are participating in.
  • Attend the OAN Annual Convention and all Mt Hood Chapter meetings and events.
StreamCare Lucas Nipp
  • Thirty four acres of maintenance spraying was completed on StreamCare sites.
  • Five acres of follow up site prep were completed on newly enrolled StreamCare sites.
  • I attend the Sandyversary celebration, a celebration of twenty years of the Sandy Basin Watershed Council, and the 4-County Cooperative Weed Management Area meeting in Clark County.
  • I will assist in preparation for and attend strategic planning.
  • As the weather allows and crews become available, I will continue maintenance spraying on StreamCare sites.
  • I will co-chair the Columbia Gorge Cooperative Weed Management Area meeting in Hood River.
Technical Assistance Jeremy Baker
  • Attended OSU Farm Day, USA-China International Conference. Discussion surrounded overview of OSU Extension Service guidance to China for creating and implementing outreach trainings focused on improvement and technological enhancement of agriculture. It was a very interesting and enlightening conference.
  • Completed site visit report for horse owner looking to address mud problems in the sacrifice area and water in barn stalls.
  • Attended OCEAN Special Board Mtng to review CONNECT conf. planner applications and make a selection.
  • Planning for Headwaters continues. I walked the property property on Monday in an attempt to identify and note any obvious resource concerns.
  • Participated in CLIP team meeting focusing on CLIP process, eligibility and implementation for both urban and rural lands.
  • Initial visit with landowner seeking tech. assistance in designing a drainage system for flush water in a greenhouse.
Weed Management Chris Aldassy
  • Knotweed control along the Sandy River. Jon and I controlled Knotweed along ~8 river miles including several floodplains and side channels.
  • Garlic mustard rossette control. Jon and I worked along crews on some of the largest infestations managed by EMSWCD including at Menucha where we sprayed over 100 gallons of mix in one day across ~15 acres.
  • Attended a workshop training designed to serve unhoused people and sustain natural areas.
  • Knotweed and garlic mustard control continue as weather allows.
  • I hope to provide feedback for strategic planning.
  • I intend to dig into the USFS burned area emergency response report and coordinate with State Parks and the USFS Botanist about moving forward with our current project sites and potential assistance to supplement their efforts.
Weed Management Jon Wagner
  • Chris and I collected monthly water quality samples and conducted the monthly wildlife survey.
  • I have been writing the wildlife report for the Diana Pope Natural Area. I met with Julie to discuss updating the water quality monitoring Sampling and Analysis Plans for Johnson and Beaver Creek and I updated them. Chelsea and I worked on a couple animation projects. I met with staff to discuss future projects and strategies.
  • Chris and I surveyed garlic mustard fall spray sites and we worked with a crew to control 3 acre of garlic mustard rosettes over 15 acres.
  • I will finish first draft of the wildlife report for the Diana Pope Natural Area. I will enter water quality and weeds data and file and organize before and after pictures for weed control. I will work with Chelsea on the second round of animation and start other illustration projects.
  • I will participate in strategic planning.
  • I will work with crews to finish fall garlic mustard sprays.
Outreach & Education Chelsea White-Brainard
  • With Aaron, hosted the "Field Day, On the Ground Erosion Product Demonstration" for nurseries.
  • Attended the Sandyversary, an anniversary fundraiser for the Sandy River Basin Watershed Council.
  • Sent mailer promoting upcoming Mud and Manure workshop to everyone in the ODA (Oregon Department of Agriculture) Agricultural Water Quality Focus Area.
  • Attend second Equity Team session with Center for Diversity and the Environment.
  • Prepare for and attend Strategic Planning Retreat.
  • Continue promoting fall Mud and Manure workshop that will be held at the Columbia Grange on November 14th.
Program Management Kathy Shearin
  • Attended CEI Leadership meeting.
  • Attended IPM Webtool meeting to discuss formal creation of stakeholder group and project guiding documents.
  • Met with CLIP team to discuss possible new project and a plan for aleviating confusion between urban and rural CLIP.
  • Presented Weeds workshop at NE Community Center.
  • Attended a presentation on the "Urban Resilience to Extremes Sustainability Research Network."
  • Giving a tour of Conservation Corner to PCC Environmental Studies class.
  • Presenting a weeds workshop in Troutdale.
  • Planning a meeting with Columbia Slough Watershed Council and Verde to see how we might work together to install more rain gardens in priority areas.
Technical Assistance Whitney Bailey
  • Gave Rain Garden presentation to Multnomah County Staff for County EcoChallenge.
  • Presented program revison ideas to CLIP committee.
  • Attended: 4 County CWMA general meeting and Beaver Creek Partnership monthly meeting, "Serving Unhoused People and Sustaining Natural Areas" day-long workshop, Urban Weeds Workshop.
  • Participated in PCC Tour of Conservation Corner.
  • Met with CSWC and Verde regarding rain gardens.
  • Submitted first quarter reporting.
  • Registered new rain garden and sent sign.
  • Provided technical assistance to two constitutents on native plants and lesser celandine removal.
  • Schedule 2nd quarter Green Streets maintenance day.
  • Strategic Planning Preparation meetings & run-through.
  • Strategic Planning Retreat.
  • Preparation for 6 month review.
Outreach & Education Angela Previdelli
  • Angela was on vacation during this reporting period.
Outreach & Education Katie Meckes
  • Presented 45 minute "Intro to Stormwater, Naturescaping & Native Plants" presentations to 3 classrooms of Rosemary Anderson High School students. (26 students total)
  • Co-led a tour of Conservation Corner for a group of PCC students on 10/26. (27 students total)
  • Trained Josie on the on all aspects of spring workshop coordination and scheduling.
  • Continue researching database options in prep for strategic planning.
  • Attend Strategic Planning Retreat.
  • Continue training and orienting Josie to the details of her internship position.
Program Management Andrew Brown
  • Continued preparations for November strategic planning retreat, agenda planning, working with facilitators, assisting program staff with planning content and materials, and preparing district contextual presentation information.
  • Participated in management team meeting with the Center for Equity and Inclusion, as part of EMSWCD's equity initiative.
  • Met with Metro and other partners regarding farmland preservation, and the Regional Conservation Strategy implementation in the Metro area.
  • Collated and produced draft first quarterly report for FY2017-18.
  • Continue preparations for November strategic planning retreat, logistical arrangements, and assisting program staff with plan content and presentations.
  • Participate in strategic planning retreat with Board and staff.
  • Follow-up on strategic planning retreat outcomes, start refining content and developing draft EMSWCD 5-year strategic plan.
Grants Suzanne Easton
  • Preparation for Strategic Planning.
  • Prepared for PIC 2018 application rollout, outreach and recommending new PIC review team members.
  • Attended Intertwine Summit.
  • Prepare presentation for Strategic Planning retreat and attend retreat.
  • Launch PIC 2018 grant cycle on ZoomGrants on November 1st.
  • Meet with prospective PIC applicants.
Land Legacy Matt Shipkey
  • Conducted various due diligence activities on farm property in contract.
  • Continued revising strategic planning materials for November Board/Staff retreat.
  • Pursued numerous land conservation opportunities, including on-site meeting.
  • Attended Multnomah Co Farm Bureau meeting and overviewed our Land Legacy Program. Attended Intertwine Summit.
  • Participated in brainstorming discussion about regional farmland preservation efforts/funding.
  • Scoped out and discussed potential StreamCare protection options.
  • Finalize Strategic Planning materials.
  • Continue due diligence on farm property in contract.
  • Develop conservation proposal for interested farmland owner.
  • Secure and analyze Oxbow conservation easement appraisal.
  • Further develop farmland program outreach components.
  • Advance several conservation opportunities.
Headwaters Farm Rowan Steele
  • Working on strategic planning materials and presentation including meeting with a landscape architect to discuss development opportunities for the newly annexed Headwaters Farm property.
  • Working with Lucas on permitting for the road realignment in the Dianna Pope Natural Area.
  • On the farm: overseeing the installation of the new municipal water line, re-plumbing in the lower prophouse to replace degraded pipe, equipment and facility winterization, construction of hoophouse number four, and hanging of the new Headwaters Farm container sign.
  • Closing the Headwaters 2018 application window – 5pm on Tuesday!
  • Focusing on strategic planning.
  • Meeting with the Center for Equity and Inclusion and the Equity Team.
Headwaters Farm Stuart Moeller
  • Worked with Scot on gluing the new water line, stabilizing the additional frost-free hydrants, and putting the trench away.
  • Replacing bad pipe in the lower prophouse.
  • Helped hang the new Headwaters Farm sign.
  • Brought in irrigation risers and facilitated other winterization efforts.
  • Blackberry removal along the eastern most fenceline.
  • Additional winterization work: protecting hoophouse risers, insulating pipe, covering specific implements, among others.
  • Assisting in the installation of stairs to connect the back of the barn to higher facilities.
  • Helping relocate and inventory silage tarps.