Activity Report for the Period 10/3/2016 – 10/14/2016

East Multnomah Soil and Water Conservation District
Jay Udelhoven
  • Jay is out on leave through 10/17/16.
Program Supervision / Finance & Budget Lissa Adams
  • Prepared program budget to actual reports as of the end of September. Prepared HIP farmer invoices for the third quarter. Reviewed September payroll and submitted September retirement contributions. Met with VALIC and OSGP reps via conference call to determine what remains to be done in order to terminate old plan and move all funds out of VALIC.
  • Met with Equity Team regarding next steps, including inviting Metro to October staff meeting for a "mini-workshop" about exploring unconscious bias and enrolling a number of staff in the upcoming CDE 'Building the Foundation' equity training.
  • Researched and ordered replacement computers for Chris and Jay. Researched and in the process of redressing several issues including restricting access to individual MyDocs folders and email archiving.
  • Working with VALIC to finalize termination resolution and plan amendments to be discussed at November board meeting.
  • Meeting with Center for Equity and Inclusion regarding possible equity training opportunities.
  • Working with Online Support to clean up old user accounts.
Office Management Jed Arnold
  • Installed new wireless video projector in the conference room.
  • Finalized and placed order for additional EMSWCD branded gear.
  • Completed and filed forms with information requested by the Oregon Employment Department.
  • Continue planning and pre-purchase research for the remodeling of the office copy room to increase efficiency and safety of the space.
  • Contact SDAO about on-site ergonomics training for staff.
  • Create reservation calendars and usage rules for our "new" dividable meeting rooms.
Facilities Management Scot Wood
  • The new exterior door into the board room is installed and the painter has stained and lacquered it to protect it from the winter weather. The new hardware has been installed and the door is now hooked into the security system as well.
  • Stuart, Rowan and I have spread the pea gravel and finished the framing of the new prop house.
  • Stuart and I started some much-needed end of the season barn organization.
  • The drywaller will be doing the repairs around the new door and I will then be able to finish the trim and call this project completed.
  • We will be stretching the poly over the prop house framing at the first favorable opportunity.
  • We will be getting the farm ready for winter in the coming weeks: covering implements, sowing grass seed and straw along the new roadways, cleaning up the existing prop house.
Marketing & Media Alex Woolery
  • Headwaters Farm: website updates, continued social media promotion and press outreach. Another Oregonian article published on state of Oregon farms mentions HIP program and quotes Board member Nellie McAdams; possibility of a Gresham Outlook article soon. Campaign analytics, ran second ad promoting tour.
  • Putting together a very detailed analytics spreadsheet compiling all Urban Lands campaign data and analytics results back to Spring 2013, along with some other program data.
  • Research on plugin and website host configuration for plant sale updates. Selected and in process of developing plant sale plugin, preparing to migrate development and public websites to new hosts.
  • Promoting Urban Lands workshops and supporting Urban and Rural Lands with social media, event page setup, Mailchimp formatting, posting videos.
  • Continue developing plant sale store on development website. Migrate development website to new host, then migrate public website after testing.
  • Continue refining and adding to campaign spreadsheet; review with Urban Lands team.
  • Work with Suzanne and Andrew to update website in preparation for online PIC applications; early PIC outreach and planning.
Information Technology Lissa Adams,
Jed Arnold,
Alex Woolery
  • Troubleshooting application access and power down issues on Lucas' station.
  • Online support called in about a display driver issue on Jon's station; they worked on fixing it remotely.
  • Jed and Lissa will respond to staff IT issues and questions as needed.
Program Management Julie DiLeone
  • Attended Supervisor Boot Camp part 2.
  • Documenting lessons learned from culvert project.
  • Compiling quarterly report information.
  • Reviewing marketing plan.
  • Completing review of Metro Capital Grant applications.
  • Working with ODA to plan the Sandy Biennial Review for early 2017.
Rural Water Quality Aaron Guffey
  • Aaron has been mostly at Headwaters working on the culverts since returning from parental leave, and did not have an opportunity to submit a report.
StreamCare Lucas Nipp
  • I was on vacation for much of the reporting period.
  • One site visit with a current StreamCare enrollee and one site visit with a landowner interested in joining StreamCare.
  • With the help of Jon, I removed most of the temperature sensors from Big, Johnson, Smith, and Beaver Creeks. The sensors had been continuously monitoring stream temperatures since May. There are two more that I need to get out.
  • Lots of work on the Dianna Pope Natural Area Site Conservation Plan.
  • I have a few more days of StreamCare weed treatments to do if the weather allows next week.
  • I have several StreamCare site visits to complete.
  • I hope to complete the Dianna Pope Natural Area Site Conservation Plan. Jon, Julie, and I are meeting to develop a plan for a wildlife survey in the DPNA.
Technical Assistance Jeremy Baker
  • Site visit to landowner in Corbett to discuss tree stocking rates and species composition for additional plantings.
  • Site visit to landowner in Corbett to investigate rainwater harvesting options for a small farm selling produce at farmers markets.
  • Provided planning outreach and education to PCC Environmental Studies course on soils and soil health out at Headwaters Farm.
  • Drafting conservation plan maps for 2 landowners.
  • Working with Urban Lands team and updating CLIP website, signage.
  • Assisting Lucas with planning of treatments for Dianna Pope natural area.
Weed Management Chris Aldassy
  • I had crews out controlling Ivy on properties along Bell Rd, Haines Rd, and the Historic Columbia River Highway. 70 acres gross, 2.5 acres net.
  • Controlled Knotweed along the Sandy River through the Delta from Lewis and Clark State Park to Chinook Landing. 75m²
  • Project outreach for new landowners adjacent to controlled infested areas.
  • Ivy control with crews.
  • Knotweed wrap up.
  • Garlic mustard fall sprays.
Weed Management Jon Wagner
  • We controlled 110 sq meters of knotweed along 4 river miles and 38 acres. Ellen, Chris and I controlled 75 square meters of garlic mustard rosettes on 35 acres. I lead crews in control of 850 square meters of garlic mustard over thireen acres.
  • Lucas and I conducted monthly water quality sampling and retreived temperature loggers.
  • Made a benificial insect outreach gif animation. Attended a native turtle working group meeting.
  • Meet about water quality outreach and gif/ illustration outreach for event.
  • Finish garlic mustard fall sprays with crew. We will conduct ivy and clematis surveys and control.
  • Chris and I will attend two days of project manager learning point training.
Outreach & Education Chelsea White-Brainard
  • Partnerships and Committees: Attended 4-County CWMA (Cooperative Weed Management Area) general meeting, Steering Committee meeting, and Pull Together planning meeting. Met with Equity Team to plan next steps and trainings. Coordinated the enrollment of staff members in a three-day introductory equity training through Center for Diversity and the Environment.
  • Professional Development: Began 4-class series "The Problem with Privilege: Bias, Fragility and Taking Action to End Racism." Attended webinar on logic models through Oregon Conservation Partnership.
  • Worked with Jeremy and Alex to design and submit an advertisement on CLIP drip irrigation projects for the November issue of Digger magazine. Began planning and promoting our "Fish Friendly Farm Tour" at Headwaters and our "Beneficial Insects for Rural Properties" workshop at the Corbett Grange.
  • Work with Erik, Angela, and Jeremy on CLIP promotion through signage design and development, website improvements, and final tweaks to the brochure.
  • Attend workshop through NAO (Nonprofit Association of Oregon), "Evaluation: How to Meaningfully Measure Impact."
  • Coordinate logistics of "Fish Friendly Farm Tour" at Headwaters (10/22). Promote "Beneficial Insects for Rural Properties" (11/16) at the Corbett Grange through social media, email, and direct mailing.
Program Management Kathy Shearin
  • Participated in the Williams/Sumner Greenstreet clean-up.
  • Attended Columbia Slough Watershed Council board meeting.
  • Attended Beavercreek Partnership meeting.
  • Attended Friends of Trees event "Trees and Health: Growing the Solution".
  • Participated in a site visit of the MHCC Stormwater Retrofit Project for the Metro Capital Grants selection team.
  • Met with City of Gresham Staff to discuss possible partnerships.
  • Met with Joel of Multnomah County Drainage District to discuss potential outreach collaboration.
  • Met with partners (DePave, ReCode, Clean Water Action) and staff (Erik & Suzanne) to discuss possible partnership around greywater.
Technical Assistance Erik Carr
  • Six technical assistance site visits for rain gardens and naturescaping inquiries.
  • Attended first meeting for next year's CONNECT conference; call for abstracts to be sent to all SWCD staff; meeting with Greywater Action group regarding workshop opportunities.
  • Participated in walking tour with Metro captial grants review committee at MHCC.
  • Attending Intertwine Fall Summit.
  • Site visits.
  • Tech team meetings at Johnson Creek and Columbia Slough watershed councils.
Outreach & Education Angela Previdelli
  • Tabled at Gresham's Downtown Farmer's Market.
  • Tabled at NAYA's Homeownership Fair, reached 100 people.
  • Attended Grant Butte meeting at Metro to discuss partnerships with new development on the butte.
  • Tabled at Salmon Celebration, reached 50 people.
  • Present to Lents Neighborhood Association to promote services and workshops.
  • Plant Sale kick-off meeting.
  • Attend East Portland Action Plan general meeting.
Outreach & Education Katie Meckes
  • Gathered data from 2013-2016 worshop registrations to inform next steps at our 2nd Urban Lands advertising meeting.
  • Attended Trees & Health Seminar put on by Friends of Trees on 9/28.
  • Workshop administrative tasks included outreach for November workshops, attendance updates to hosts, registration and wait list management,obtained CEH's for Urban Weeds workshop.
  • Read Mt. Hood Community College Clean Water Retrofit Plan draft and toured site with Angela and Erik. Sent email to Steve Wise offering to organize and head up an Education & Outreach team.
  • Hold 2nd Urban Lands Advertising meeting to share data findings and decide best way to combine data for reporting back on baseline conditions and brainstorm additional advertising options.
  • Attending Fall Intertwine Summit on 10/18.
  • Table at Environmental Education Teacher Fair at BES Water Pollution Control Lab 10/19.
  • Schedule & hold an initial meeting w/ partners and community members to brainstorm ideas for outreach and education for MHCC Clean Water Retrofit projects.
Program Management Andrew Brown
  • Followed up of active Land Legacy agricultural lands projects, including meetings with landowners.
  • Contacted partners concerning Land Legacy Program Manager position, and worked on recruitment for fill the staff vacancy.
  • Worked on learning new online grants management software.
  • Took one week's vacation.
  • Progress with staff recruitment for vacant position.
  • Assist Grants Manager with getting online PIC 2017 application ready to go live, as well as finalizing supporting documentation.
  • Produce first FY16-17 quarterly progress report.
Grants Suzanne Easton
  • Working on ZoomGrants set up - new on-line application system for PIC grant program.
  • Attended Environmental Education Association of Oregon annual conference.
  • Coordinated Unconscious Bias workshop for staff to be held on Oct. 28.
  • Meetings and phone calls with prospective 2017 PIC grant applicants.
  • Site visit - Columbia Riverkeeper in Hood River.
  • Finish ZoomGrants set up for November 1 launch date.
  • Attend Intertwine Summit.
  • Attend professional training on collaboration.
  • Conduct outreach for PIC 2017.
  • Process new SPACE grants.
Headwaters Farm Rowan Steele
  • Outreach – hosting tours, workshops (PCC class at Headwaters Farm), working with Alex on social media, distributing postcards, and lots of emails.
  • Farm Projects – prophouse construction and oversight, winterization, stormwater and road construction coordination, sowing of new pollinator meadow, and more!
  • Third Quarter HIP invoices.
  • Meeting with staff from Bureau of Planning and Sustainability to visit farmland options owned by the City that could be potential landing sites for HIP graduates.
  • Continued HIP application outreach, closing of the application period (at 5:00pm on 10/31), and preparing for the selection meeting.
  • Going to the National Incubator Farm Training Initiative's "Field School" in Ann Arbor Michigan.
Headwaters Farm Stuart Moeller
  • Prophouse construction and site management.
  • Planting of native grasses into the beetle bank.
  • Laying road fabric prior to road construction.
  • Stretching poly over the new prophouse (the last step!).
  • Last-past weed management for the season.
  • Meeting with Andrew and Rowan to discuss past season and looking forward.