Activity Report for the Period 1/1/2018 – 1/12/2018

East Multnomah Soil and Water Conservation District
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
ACTIVITIES
Jay Udelhoven
Completed:
  • Jay was on vacation and out of office during this reporting period.
FINANCE & OPERATIONS
ACTIVITIES
Program Supervision / Finance & Budget Lissa Adams
Completed:
  • Prepared November financial reports for the board, prepared December budget vs. actual reports.
  • Provided various annual meeting and financial information to ODA; reviewed December payroll and bank reconciliations; assisted with plant sale testing and website update contracting.
  • Procured and set up new Finance and Ops computer; Began preparations for IT contract migration; troubleshot various IT issues including backup failures and server connectivity problems.
Planned:
  • Populate 2nd Quarter progress report with Finance and Ops data; draft budget calendar; finish calendar year end data gathering for W2 and 1099 preparation.
  • IT-related items (see below).
Office Management Lindsay Nelson
Completed:
  • Prep, set up, tare down, and record minutes for the December Board of Directors meeting.
  • I reviewed and edited the EMSWCD Directory for Sandi at ODA.
  • I set up the Native Plants workshop for two evening classes.
  • I processed bills/invoices to be paid. I sent out checks to various vendors.
  • Completed my portion of the Quarterly Report (2nd quarter)
Planned:
  • Finish Board meeting minutes
  • Put LLC meeting packet together.
  • Find a print screen/embrodiery company.
Facilities Management Scot Wood
Completed:
  • I have been on vacation, returned to the office on the 5th.
  • I met with Andrew, Matt and Rowan at the Mashima property for a looksee on Friday, January the 5th.
  • Rowan and I have been planning the additions to the barn wash station area. Rick and I dismantled the small outside cooler to make room for the new wash station additions.
Planned:
  • After we close on the property, I will be doing some minor repairs to the pump house as well as installing a driveway gate down at the road.
  • I will be working on building out the new additions for the wash station.
Marketing & Media Alex Woolery
Completed:
  • Plant sale: final development, debugging and testing, developed several materials including plant sale and related native plant workshop ads: three newspaper ads, one native plant sale announcement ad and two ads for Urban/Rural native plant workshops.
  • Finished contract work with developer to improve and optimize website - website is running much faster, files and databases cleaned up, plugins removed, caching and security set up, interface with plant sale tested.
  • Helped edit Grant Butte press release and article on Headwaters farm, Board and Committee support, updates to website sections and front page articles.
  • Assisted staff with printing, mailing and bulk mail.
Planned:
  • Final edits to Marketing Plan.
  • Spring workshops - promotion and explore potential advertising/outreach venues.
  • Last changes and tweaks/testing related to plant sale. Launch plant sale, ongoing store/stock management and customer support.
Information Technology Lissa Adams,
Lindsay Nelson,
Alex Woolery
Completed:
  • Lindsay, Alex and Lissa responded to staff IT issues and questions as needed; see notes in their individual reports above.
  • Alex assisted staff with email/spam questions and assistance.
Planned:
  • Migrate to new IT contractor in February; order and set up computer equipment for Urban and Rural lands staff.
  • Lindsay, Alex and Lissa will respond to staff IT issues and questions as needed.
RURAL LANDS
ACTIVITIES
Program Management Julie DiLeone
Completed:
  • Contracting for 3 OWEB small grants awarded in December.
  • Preparing ODA quarterly report.
  • Reviewed planning documents for land legacy properties.
Planned:
  • Bi-weekly check in meetings with Rural Lands staff.
  • Sandy River Basin Partners meeting.
  • Sandy River Watershed Council meeting.
Rural Water Quality Aaron Guffey
Completed:
  • Entered into service contracts for engineering consultants for Erosion Solutions.
  • Met with an engineering consultant and the nursery that received a CLIP grant, to begin investigation of long term erosion solutions.
  • Read "The New Jim Crow."
Planned:
  • Engage in the diversity, equity, and inclusion process EMSWCD staff are participating in.
  • Attend all Oregon Association of Nurseries Mt. Hood Chapter meetings and events.
  • Work with USGS as they provide consultation to develop tools to correlate conservation practice implementation to water quality.
  • Work with CLIP cooperator to procure and install erosion control BMPs.
StreamCare Lucas Nipp
Completed:
  • I had a crew conduct initial site clearing on two StreamCare sites. About 3 acres cleared.
  • Jeremy and I went out to meet with a StreamCare landowner who needs a livestock exclison fence.
  • I put up seven more Conservation Partner signs on StreamCare sites. Thirty three signs installed in total.
  • I attended the 4-County Cooperative Weed Management Area Pull Together. It was a great event. Lots of good information on climate change and forest communities and forest fires.
Planned:
  • I will be out of the office the entire week of January 15.
  • I will have a crew out performing initial site clearing finishing up the six acre site they are working on.
  • Julie, Andrew and I will be meeting with Willamette Partnership to learn about using DEQ's shade-a-lator model to model long term effects of StreamCare projects.
  • I will be working on a subcommittee to work towards hiring a new coordinator for the Western Invasives Network, for which I am on the steering committee.
Technical Assistance Jeremy Baker
Completed:
  • Finally getting back to field work after ankle surgery that took place just after the last report (December 6th, 2017).
  • Completed first draft of ODA Quarterly Report for the 1st Qrtr (Oct.-Dec '17).
  • Attended the 63rd Annual North Willamette Horticultural Society Conference for two days. One day dedicated to vegetable production and management, the second was dedicated to organic crops production and management. Topics presented included Mechanical Weed Cultivation, Herbicide choices and issues for veggie growers, Microbial water quality for fresh market, Relationships between Soil and Ferilizers and Nutrient Management, How on-farm biodiversity improves food safety (e.coli studies), Beneficial insects and how to get and keep them on your farm, Food Safety rules in Oregon, Cover Crop and Strip Tillage info. For more information on this and other NWHS conferences go to http://nwhortsoc.com/
Planned:
  • Conducted an initial site visit with a landowner enrolled in StreamCare to identify and begin planning for livestock exclusion fencing.
  • Drafting site visit report and recommendations for fencing and animal mangement for the aforementioned StreamCare applicant.
  • Finalizing two site visit reports and recommendtions to move to the planning and budgeting stages to prepare these projects for possible CLIP funding.
Weed Management Chris Aldassy
Completed:
  • Jon, Chelsea, and I hosted a native plants workshop at the Corbett Grange. It was well attended and participants laughed at most of our jokes.
  • I've been assembling permits, gear, and lining up contracts, for the upcoming field season.
  • I attended the 4-County CWMA "pull together" and group discussions after the event.
Planned:
  • I'll be responding to contacts made from the native plants workshop.
  • I plan on obtaining landowner agreements and coordinating with OPRD (Oregon Parks and Recreation Department) and the USFS for weed control efforts in the Eagle Creek burn area.
  • Jon and I will be out working on spurge laurel and English ivy control.
Weed Management Jon Wagner
Completed:
  • Chris, Chelsea and I lead a native plants workshop about plants featured at this year's plant sale.
  • I attended the Pull-Together and I took comic notes and displayed them at the end.
  • I entered water quality data and planned spring and winter weed control work. I have been working on an illustration showing the benefits of beaver ponds.
Planned:
  • Chris and I will collect monthly water quality samples and conduct monthly wildlife surveys.
  • Chris and I will give site visits for ivy, garlic mustard and restoration work. We will use weed wrench to remove large spurge laurel from various sites.
  • I will finish the beaver pond illustration. I will outreach people in the target areas for ivy and garlic mustard and work with Chris to strategize future work.
Outreach & Education Chelsea White-Brainard
Completed:
  • Promoted the Rural Native Plants workshop via email and a Facebook ad that featured a timelapse whiteboard video drawn by Jon. Jon and Chris presented to over 30 attendees at the Columbia Grange.
  • Attended the Pull Together conference, which I helped coordinate as a member of the 4-County CWMA (Cooperative Weed Management Area) Pull Together planning committee. Provided attendees with an update on the progress of the Education and Outreach committee. We had a record 150 people in attendance at the Kennedy School.
  • Worked with Lucas to install 100 boundary markers delineating the boundary of the Dianna Pope Natural Area out at Headwaters Farm. Met with Lucas to plan out additional signage for the natural area.
Planned:
  • Coordinate printing and mailing of water quality mailer, Beaver Creek: the Watershed Beneath Our Feet.
  • Work on future signage for the Dianna Pope Natural Area at Headwaters Farm.
  • Catch up on equity readings and assignments in time for the Equity Teams next meeting with CEI (Center for Equity and Inclusion) on January 23rd.
URBAN LANDS
ACTIVITIES
Program Management Kathy Shearin
Completed:
  • Kathy returned from vacation during this period and was out at meetings several days - check back for items week of the 15th.
Technical Assistance Whitney Bailey
Completed:
  • Met with Brooklyn Community Gardens & provided information on raised beds, sheet mulching, lesser celandine control, erosion control, and improving pollinator habitat.
  • Met with Kelly Elementary to discuss blackberry management.
  • Met with Treehill HOA in Wood Village to discuss stormwater management issues; consulted with in-house CLIP team on options.
  • Attended the 4 County CWMA's "Pulling Together" conference.
Planned:
  • Presenting a rain garden program for realtors' association.
  • Attending a plant swap planning meeting with Backyard Habitats and Watershed Councils.
  • Site visit planned to Ron Russell Middle School to discuss potential SPACE grant.
  • Attending CSWC Tech Team meeting.
Outreach & Education Angela Previdelli
Completed:
  • Plant Sale - on-going volunteer recruitment and coordination, finalized 2018 shirt design, conducted final store testing, other logistical tasks.
  • SPACE Grant - reviewed and processed 5 applications.
  • Met with outreach staff from Regional Arts and Culture Council to discuss equity initiatives.
Planned:
  • Plant Sale - on-going volunteer recruitment and coordination, open Plant Sale, customer service.
  • Outreach meeting with Backyard Habitat Program and City of Gresham.
  • Next Equity Team meeting with Center for Equity and Inclusion.
Outreach & Education Katie Meckes
Completed:
  • Many a plethora of Plant Sale planning and tasks: Final testing & feedback. Holding 3 Native Plant workshops this week. Added "tags" to plant species that were missing them. Ordered supplies. Sent email announcement to 8,000 contacts to inform them of plant sale, workshops, volunteer opportuntites.
  • Attended Grant Butte meeting on January 10th.
  • Recruited for potential new workshops presenters and scheduled auditions for late January.
  • Helped coordinate speakers for the 2018 Connect Conference
Planned:
  • Draft "Plant Sale is Open" announcement that will be sent right after we open the online sale next Wedensday. Continue with plant sale preparations over the next month!
  • Assist Metro staff with writing narrative for temporary use permit for house.
  • Hold "auditions" for 3 or 4 potential new workshop presenters.
CONSERVATION LEGACY
ACTIVITIES
Program Management Andrew Brown
Completed:
  • Worked on budget and prioritization of items for the 5-year strategic plan.
  • Assisted Rowan with DPNA road realignment permit information requirements, and met with Multnomah County on land use planning requirements for the possible frontage road development at Headwaters.
  • Assisted Matt with various ag land protection projects, including reviewing easement terms, appraisals, and other due diligence products.
  • Took vacation for a week.
Planned:
  • Work on strategic plan framework and content, and pursue plan related issues that need resolution.
  • Work on finalizing Oxbow lease renewals in place.
  • Assist Suzanne with PIC 2018 application deadline and initial review.
  • Attend HIP end of year gathering, including celebration of HIP graduates.
Grants Suzanne Easton
Completed:
  • PIC 2018: Initial review of applications; preparing materials and ZoomGrants scoring site for PIC Review Committee; on-boarding new Review Committee members; set date for PIC Review Meeting - March 1st, 2018.
  • Reading mid-year reports from PIC 2017 grantees, notifications to overdue projects for reimbursement requests and final reports.
  • Reviewed and commented on SCI application for Board consideration.
  • Consulted with MESD staff about need for future Outdoor School funding from EMSWCD.
  • Equity reading and attended Team training meeting; prepared and presented racial autobiography.
Planned:
  • PIC 2018: Continue due diligence and indepth review of applications; send out packet to Review Committee by end of January.
  • Read equity materials and attend CEI Equity Team training #5.
  • Attend Oregon Farm to School and School Garden Summit on January 25th.
Land Legacy Matt Shipkey
Completed:
  • Provided support for partner transaction EMSWCD funded (which closed), developed closing file.
  • Secured EMSWCD Board approval for property in contract, conducted related due diligence items.
  • Drafted website revisions. Advanced outreach efforts.
  • Developed additional foundational documents.
  • Advanced new farmland conservation transaction, developed materials for and discussed with Board. Prepared for Jan LLC Meeting.
  • Completed equity assignments.
Planned:
  • Prepare for closing on Board approved farmland project.
  • Advance website revisions and outreach efforts.
  • Develop and refine additional foundational documents.
  • Advance new farmland transaction and secure feedback of Board as to whether to pursue. Prepare for and conduct Jan LLC meeting.
Headwaters Farm Rowan Steele
Completed:
  • Hosted meeting with farm-related social justice organizations to discuss the viability of programming at Headwaters Farm that caters to underserved populations.
  • Updated the Farmer’s Manual and lease document for 2018.
  • Conducted process to select a new Headwaters Farm Caretaker and developed a new lease for that space with clear roles and responsibilities.
Planned:
  • Working on my racial autobiography and homework for the Equity Team.
  • At the farm wash station improvements will be underway to improve flow, accommodate more users, and increase food safety.
  • Site plans will be completed for the Dianna Pope Road Realignment permits.