For Private Landowners


If you are a private landowner or land manager with a natural resource concern (such as soil erosion or water quality), and would like technical and financial assistance to address the problem, the Conservation Landowner Implementation Program (CLIP) might be for you. CLIP provides 50% cost-share, up to $7500 per application, to assist with the costs of installing District-approved conservation practices. Applications are accepted on an on-going basis.  Funding is contingent on approval by the Board of Directors.

CLIP Program Information

The CLIP program is a tool for providing financial (cost-share) assistance to landowners and land managers who are receiving technical assistance from the District. The focus is on identifying and addressing significant natural resource concerns on private property. This connection to natural resource concerns and the landowner/manager’s need for/acceptance of technical assistance in planning and implementing the project are key elements of the program. CLIP does not accept applications from people who are simply looking for funding. (Those landowners and land managers are welcome to contact the District for suggestions regarding more appropriate funding sources for their projects.)

Eligible applicants:
  • Small acreage, hobby farm, small woodlot owners
  • Commercial farms, nurseries
  • Homeowners, homeowner associations, neighborhood associations, businesses, or commercial property owners with a stream, river, creek, or wetland on their property
  • Land managers or renters of agricultural land (with landowner’s consent)
Project must meet all of these criteria to receive CLIP cost-share funding:
  • Project site is in the District (Multnomah County lying east of the Willamette River)
  • Project addresses one or more of the following: soil erosion prevention/control, water quality, water conservation (on farms only), watershed health
  • On-the-ground project to install an EMSWCD-approved conservation practice
  • Significantly addresses one or more important natural resource concerns
Conservation practices eligible for cost-share funding:
Soil erosion prevention and control examples:
  • Livestock heavy use area
  • Livestock exclusion fencing
  • Livestock watering facility away from sensitive areas
  • Filter strips and swales for erosion prevention on farms
Water quality and water conservation examples:
  • Nutrient management
  • Manure composting and/or storage facility
  • Converting to drip irrigation
  • Irrigation water management
  • Planting native trees and shrubs areas along creeks and streams
Funding limits and required landowner/manager contribution:
  • Funding is provided on a reimbursement basis, at a rate of 50% of the total allowable costs for installing an approved conservation practice (or set of practices), up to the dollar limit awarded by the District.
  • The maximum reimbursement is $7500 per CLIP application.
  • The landowner/manager is required to contribute toward the cost of the project (cash, labor, donated materials, funding from outside sources, or a combination thereof).
  • Funding is contigent on the approval of the East Multnomah Soil and Water Conservation District’s Board of Directors
Application process, deadlines:
  • Send a letter of interest to the District contact person listed below. If you have a project in mind, please send your letter at least three months before you would like to begin implementing the project.
  • A District staff person will contact you and may arrange for a site visit.
  • If it is determined that the project is likely to meet the criteria for funding, the District staff person will assist you with completing the CLIP application form.
  • You must agree to accept technical assistance from District staff in planning and/or implementing any CLIP-funded practices.

Download full guidelines: CLIP Guidelines

Please include the following information in your letter of interest:
  • Your name, daytime phone number, and email address.
  • Location of the property.
  • Briefly describe the property and the land uses (crops, pasture, forest, residential, etc.). Also indicate if you have a stream, creek, pond, ditch, or wetland on the property.
  • Briefly describe the problem you are trying to address and why you think it is important.
  • If you have been working with a District staff person, please provide his/her name in your letter. Briefly describe any technical assistance you have received from the District related to this project (if applicable).

Send or email your letter of interest to:

Julie DiLeone, Conservation Technical Assistance Supervisor
Phone: 503-222-7645 x 105
Fax: 503-935-5359
Email Julie

East Multnomah SWCD
5211 N Williams Ave.
Portland, OR 97217